Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Mirage get stop start technology in North American market?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Will the Mirage get stop start technology in North American market?

I am contemplating buying a Mirage in the future but there are a couple things I would like to see first.
    The stop start on my current 2 cars is really a gas saver....I was hoping it would be on the USA spec cars, does anyone have any info on this?
    Also I would like to be able to purchase a manual transmission Mirage with the Nav system....so far I havent seen a vehicle with both manual and NAV.
    Third I would like the 4 door sedan Mirage to come to USA....these are the items on my wish list.
    Thanks in advance for any input and info.
    Drew

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    I am contemplating buying a Mirage in the future but there are a couple things I would like to see first.
    The stop start on my current 2 cars is really a gas saver....I was hoping it would be on the USA spec cars, does anyone have any info on this?
    Also I would like to be able to purchase a manual transmission Mirage with the Nav system....so far I havent seen a vehicle with both manual and NAV.
    Third I would like the 4 door sedan Mirage to come to USA....these are the items on my wish list.
    Thanks in advance for any input and info.
    Drew
    As of right now you can not add Nav to a manual car. It can be installed at the dealer though for 2500 dollars. The 4 door sedan should be coming here in late 15 or early 16 from the sounds of things. And I doubt the stop start will come to america until the mirage gets some real comp in the mpg race. Frankly it doesnt need fancy stuff to get good mpg. It just good ole basic tech to achieve crazy good mpg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grsupercity For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (10-07-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If I had to guess, I'd say start/stop will not be coming to the US in the next year or two. Nobody is really doing it unless its on their hybrids sadly. Almost everyone has start/stop on cars elsewhere in the world though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    I doubt the stop start will come to america until the mirage gets some real comp in the mpg race.
    I'm with you on that prediction, considering the only thing needed to do this in the Mirage is a different battery, starter and a software change.

Ford is introducing start/stop to non-hybrids now in the U.S. So is BMW. It's already here, and more are coming.

That said, all our cars already have stop/start: the ignition key. My cars never idle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As an owner, I do not want this on my car.

1) Does this not put a bunch of wear on your starter?
    2) It would drive me crazy hearing/feeling my car start every time I got stopped in traffic
    3) I work in IT and have owned a lot of older/high mileage cars. I want as much control of when my car's engine is starting and stopping as is possible.
    4) The savings in fuel seem like they would be pretty negligible to offset the above 3 concerns I have.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The starters are built to withstand the added usage.

In NYC I road in a Toyota taxi with start/stop and it's so seamless in them it's hardly noticeable. I was the only passenger to notice it. In the mirage it would be more noticeable because we lack the sound deadening of the Toyota.

The Jeep Cherokee has start stop for 2015 and gained 2mpg city over 2014.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't see this as beings very effective in the Alabama heat.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like adding stop/start adds about $300 to the price of a car. At current fuel costs, that's roughly 100 gallons of gas. Although I haven't seen any data on how much the 3-cylinder Mirage uses per hour idling, I'll estimate 0.1 to 0.2 gallons per hour based on comparisons to other larger cars. That would mean it would take 500 to 1000 hours of idling just to break even. In other words, that would take an hour of idling every work day for four years. Also, remember that without an electric motor the gas engine must be on when inching along in traffic so that time would not count towards the 1000 hours.

The cost of stop/start is already built into everyone's Mirage.

The only part missing is a larger capacity battery & HD starter, if I recall from another thread. In other words, not a $300 part.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought start/stop cars also had a 95A alternator.