Thread: Way off topic-still about cars though-humvee reliability

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Way off topic-still about cars though-humvee reliability

As one who is interested in fuel efficiency, I happened to wonder what sort of fuel efficiency the Humvee achieved (the HMMWV from AM General, not the Chevy look-alike Hummer). As I was searching, I discovered that AM General makes many versions of their vehicle for different uses. I also noticed they make "reliability enhanced" versions.

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hm...nced-hmmwv.php

This seems like an interesting idea. Most cars/trucks seem to be redesigned for reasons of style/attractiveness to consumers. JD Power does "Initial quality" reports. Other than brand reputation (and past performance is no guarantee of future performance), how can we know if a vehicle will be reliable for the long haul?

In case anyone is interested - the current HMMWV gets around 4mpg, and there is a new FED (fuel efficient design) that is touted as a 70% improvement - it gets about 7mpg and there is a hybrid in the works (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...erce-as-humvee). No comparison to the Mirage, mind you. I'd like to see Top Gear do a head-to-head of the two very different vehicles. It might look like this Smart Car commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prvu4RifEQ0

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Humvee sucks and fugly ... cheap plastic interior off factory .... have i mentioned fugly?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Humvee sucks and fugly ... cheap plastic interior off factory .... have i mentioned fugly?
    It would be interesting to hear what car reviewers had to say. I imagine this:

Too much hard plastic. Dearth of cup holders.
    Limited top speed makes it unsafe on the highway. Poor acceleration.
    Very poor infotainment system especially compared to competitors in this price class.

Sort of like the Mirage - looking at a Hummvee's mpg is missing the point. Both can do what they designed to do, and shine when looked at in that light.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    It would be interesting to hear what car reviewers had to say. I imagine this:

Too much hard plastic. Dearth of cup holders.
    Limited top speed makes it unsafe on the highway. Poor acceleration.
    Very poor infotainment system especially compared to competitors in this price class.

Sort of like the Mirage - looking at a Hummvee's mpg is missing the point. Both can do what they designed to do, and shine when looked at in that light.
    Am not saying it's not a functional vehicle, it does what it made for. It's just looks horrible and it's the worse car to own (unless you're stinking rich ... but then again you won't be in this forum, lamborghini or bugatti forum instead).
    But hey some love it some hate it, just like with all things in the world actually hahahaha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Am not saying it's not a functional vehicle, it does what it made for. It's just looks horrible and it's the worse car to own (unless you're stinking rich ... but then again you won't be in this forum, lamborghini or bugatti forum instead).
    But hey some love it some hate it, just like with all things in the world actually hahahaha
    I agree fully. I find it impressive, but not as a personal vehicle - just as an idea. I also really appreciate amphibious vehicles, wooden sailing vessels, old steam trains, and teams of heavy draft horses. None of those are really useful in my everyday life, but they sure are interesting!

The point I make about the reviewers is that they seem to compare just about every vehicle to some ideal car that is amazingly luxurious with limitless power on tap that also looks like a work of art. They expect this and, since they are just borrowing the car, don't really care what it all costs. T

To my mind the Mirage is designed to move a few people and some of their things economically, and it does this better than any other car currently offered.