Thread: Smoke smell coming from heater

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Smoke smell coming from heater

2014 Mirage ES,CVT. Condition set: Auto climate control ON, AC OFF, temp set at 74 F, ambient ~40 F, fan at one or two bars, idling at a stop. Occasionally, there is a pretty strong smoke smell coming from the heater when idling at a stop light under the above conditions. Smells like burning dust on a resistance heater after a long layup. Anyone else experience this condition? Cause?

It could be dust burning off a resistance heater.

To augment heater performance the Mirage is equipped with an electric heating pad that is positioned in front of the heater core in the HVAC case. It warmes the air flowing to and through the heater core so it gives warm air quicker plus some of the heat gets passed on to the coolant circulating inside the heater core through this flow of warm air helping with engine warmup time.

Both automatic and manual A/C systems got it.

It is called PTC heater (Positive Temperature Coefficient) and it will operate under the following conditions:

-Engine running
    -Blower fan on
    -Temperature setting: any except MAX cool
    -Outside temp 59 degree F or lower (ambient temp sensor is at top of lower grill opening on driver side)
    -Engine coolant temp 167 degree F or lower
    -Generator output 70% or less

It has 4 heating elements controlled by 3 relays. One of the relays run 2 of the elements and the other 2 has their own elements to operate.
    More: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post18209

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that I thought better, I do smell like something warm when the air is coming at full heat but I've always taken it as some normal smell coming from new parts when they get hot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)