View Poll Results: Would you prefer the Mirage had less body roll?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 80.22%
  • No, it's fine

18 19.78%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VOTE: Would you prefer the stock Mirage had less body roll?

VOTE: Would you prefer the stock Mirage had less body roll?

Name:  body-roll2.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  32.0 KB
    Mirage body roll: from Cars Bikes Trucks (left), Autoworld (right)

Would you prefer the Mirage had less body roll?
    VOTE in the poll at the top of this page, and I'll pass the results on to Mitsubishi North America.

The car's soft handling is one of the most common complaints in media reviews. (I've read over 200 of them.) And I'll be honest: when I drove the car myself I was surprised at the copious lean. In fact, I can't think of another small car I've driven that's quite so rolly (and no, I've never driven a Citroen 2CV). I've owned & driven a lot of sub-compact economy cars.

Of course, nobody expects Mitsu's budget "global car" to be a flickable handler, despite the engineers' almost Colin Chapmanesque attention to weight savings.

And let's not forget the upside to a soft suspension is the unusually plush ride for a car this size. Reducing body roll would take away from that to some extent. And of course it would also add something to the price.

But my opinion is they they didn't get the ride/handling balance right for those of us lucky enough to drive on mostly smooth roads. So I was genuinely surprised at Mitsubishi's response when I asked why they didn't firm things up for the U.S.:

"We felt it was not needed."
    With respect to Mitsubishi's friendly P.R. rep Alex Fedorak, I wonder if he had to hold his nose with one hand while tapping out the official company line with the other.

Name:  mirage-metro.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  41.1 KB
    Guess which car handles better?

Heck, even my 17 year-old, ridiculously basic Geo Metro (Pontiac Firefly) came with factory front and rear stabilizer bars (the Mirage only has one on the front). Did it come with a radio? Nope! Power steering? Nope! Any safety, comfort or convenience features even remotely comparable to the Mirage's? Definitely nope! Yet I'd rather drive the Metro through an S-curve or emergency maneuver than the Mirage.

In Canada, the Mirage's biggest competitor is the new, $10k Nissan Micra. Care to guess how many stabilizer bars the Micra comes with? Care to guess how many reviewers have said they prefer the Mirage's ride/handling balance over the little Nissan's? Exactly.

I know how I'm voting!

Last edited by MetroMPG; 10-23-2014 at 02:47 AM. Reason: (clarified ride trade-off, price implication)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It would definitely be a nice addition to the next year's revision if they addressed this issue. Really poor display of balance in my opinion, it really seems like a "cut corner" rather than a "trade off" in terms of ride comfort and handling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just recently installed H&R springs on my Mirage and I LOVE how it takes corners now. I dont have any strut braces or rear stabilizer bar. Just springs. And it definitely makes a world of a difference. Easy fix for only $200. So I can't really complain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ShiroMirage For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I find in my every day driving that body roll does not come into play much. However, I do feel less body roll is usually always a good thing.

Kissfan: agreed.

When Mitsu USA says "We felt it was not needed" they're of course correct. Nobody needs less body roll. Just like nobody needs beer. (Or needs chocolate, or ...) But it's sure nice to have once in a while.

ShiroMirage: correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one reason to go with stabilizer bars that it lets you keep a cushy spring rate? So you keep a smoother ride while also reducing roll?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think you need to clarify the poll a bit, especially if you want to present it to Mitsubishi. Its like saying "Do you want more power?" almost everyone is going to answer yes. Maybe it should read "Would you prefer the Mirage with less body roll, if it meant an extra $500 added to the MSRP and slightly less ride compliance?"

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In 7000 km, neither my wife nor I have experienced any body roll that bothered us at all. I agree with Mitsubishi. Metro - perhaps you should rephrase the poll question to something like, "Does body roll on the Mirage bother you?". I agree with what kissfan said in Post #4.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

db1980 & MiMi -

Point taken.

(Though I don't think $500 is a realistic estimate of the cost of reducing body roll, when it can be done in the aftermarket for a fraction of that amount. And Mitsu can do it in volume for a fraction of that amount yet again.)

I struggled a bit with the poll wording (I revised it several times already). I like the "does it bother you" idea, but even that doesn't quite fit, because truth be told, I could live with the car the way it is too. It doesn't bother me enough to not want the car, even if there were no aftermarket solutions.

But in the bigger picture, I think it's hurting the car's public perception (and ultimately sales) because this issue consistently adds to the negativity in more than a few reviews. So it's more than just "does it bother me".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    In 7000 km, neither my wife nor I have experienced any body roll that bothered us at all. I agree with Mitsubishi. Metro - perhaps you should rephrase the poll question to something like, "Does body roll on the Mirage bother you?". I agree with what kissfan said in Post #4.
    I feel the same. For my purposes the little threepot is fine as it is.
    I have no intention of chasing any Mini Coopers...
    I have pushed it just enough to see where the edge is (good thing to know)
    I do believe there is MUCH room for improvement for those who wish to push the envelope.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The body roll is a little surprising at first, but one gets used to it fairly quickly.

What does need improvement is the rear suspension. With two people up front and any kind of load in the back (nothing excessive -- something like a big grocery run or a 150 lb person) it squats pretty badly and will hit the bump stops fairly regularly.

My Yaris gets a little bouncy when heavily loaded but it never even comes close to using up all the suspension travel.