Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear view mirror blind spot

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    That's because you drive on the wrong side of the road.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    REMOVED IT. Now I can see. Maybe my neck muscles will relax and stop aching.
    Took 2 seconds / zero brain damage, if any of you other tall ones want to try it.
    Use a mirror to look up underneath the base of the mirror and you'll see the little latch.
    I used a spoon, and a little scrap of cardboard between the spoon and the glass.
    Lift the little black latch and the mirror assembly slides upward and off of the little shoe that's glued to the glass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePot For This Useful Post:

Minihaha (11-24-2014)

You removed the internal rear view mirror?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePot View Post
    REMOVED IT. Now I can see. Maybe my neck muscles will relax and stop aching.
    Took 2 seconds / zero brain damage, if any of you other tall ones want to try it.
    Use a mirror to look up underneath the base of the mirror and you'll see the little latch.
    I used a spoon, and a little scrap of cardboard between the spoon and the glass.
    Lift the little black latch and the mirror assembly slides upward and off of the little shoe that's glued to the glass.

I just might give this a try. Within the last week it obscured traffic from a merge lane next to me and also an intersection. Nothing came of it but it could have been an incident (it surprised me when the cars "came out of nowhere!"). It's amazing what can "hide" behind that mirror.
    I think removal might be worth trying... after all anytime I'm riding a motorcycle the two 'outside' rear view mirrors work (mostly) OK.
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have gone a hundred miles with the mirror off, and I don't even miss it.
    Forward vis is now as it should be.
    I may attach a tiny convex mirror to the little anchor pad that's still on the windshield though, in case someone else has to drive it.
    It wouldn't cause problems with the forward visibility.

Minihaha and I have obviously had similar experiences with cars appearing out of nowhere.
    What if it was a person on a bicycle.
    It really is amazing what can hide behind that mirror. (long torso/pencil neck people)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreePot View Post
    I have gone a hundred miles with the mirror off, and I don't even miss it.

It really is amazing what can hide behind that mirror. (long torso/pencil neck people)

1st part - sounds encouraging, parenthetical statement - lol, I hear ya.
    This morning I once again put it at its max. height and still feel like it obscures a little too much forward vision; very likely gonna pop it off this week and (like you said) try a small round convex mirror on the mount, this might take some trial and error, especially getting it to mount well & look OEM. If I have good progress I will share.
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    You removed the internal rear view mirror?
    Yes, that's what I did.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

1st part - sounds encouraging, parenthetical statement - lol, I hear ya.
    This morning I once again put it at its max. height and still feel like it obscures a little too much forward vision; very likely gonna pop it off this week and (like you said) try a small round convex mirror on the mount, this might take some trial and error, especially getting it to mount well & look OEM. If I have good progress I will share.
    Look forward to see what you come up with !
    After several "surprises" due to that mirror, I had to try removing it.
    I was thinking about the thousands of miles I have driven trucks without a rear view mirror...
    Somehow, I survived without killing anybody.
    I did once back into a parked jeep so hard that it's body came off the frame, but that's another story..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally dropped the RVmirror, it's a change, but using the side RVmirrors seems to be working out so far. Looking to come up with a center convex round mirror that'll mount to the OEM stalk. Not much progress yet, mostly though at this point for lack of trying.
    Last edited by Minihaha; 12-07-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    ゼロ

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New Mirror

It's a $5 Menard's mirror, meant to attach to the existing or suction cup on the windshield itself. I saw it had a ball and socket and bought it hoping the diameters would interchange - they don't, so I modified it to work.

First: I mounted it using the included suction cup. Fell off twice after a few hours.
    Second: Drilled the ball-end of the OEM arm and the shoulder of the after-market mirror, stuck two zip-ties through and voila.

Usage report: takes getting used to, and isn't really good for viewing objects far back, plus it's at a different focal point so it exercises the eyes. At night doesn't do much, lol. I am mainly getting rear view input from my sides mirrot and this is kinda more of a crutch for not having an OEM RVmirror. Though it is helpful. I like it and will keep it in use.

Name:  mirrorParts.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  80.0 KB
    Name:  mirrorDrilled.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  85.1 KB
    Name:  mirrorMounted.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  88.6 KB
    Name:  mirrorPackageFront.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  80.0 KBName:  mirroePackageRear.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  93.1 KB
    Name:  mirrorSunctionCupMount.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  107.6 KB

ゼロ