Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "nobody sells it here" product for Mitsubishi? (L200 small pickup)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Another "nobody sells it here" product for Mitsubishi? (L200 small pickup)

So the L200 is a smallish pickup right? Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan... nobody makes small pickups for sale in the US.

Mitsubishi has one. They took a gamble bringing the Mirage over. Seems to be paying off, as they are beating their sales expectations pretty easily. I assume the fact that the L200 is only offered as a diesel makes it harder to get into the US market, but honestly, what people buying a small pickup wouldn't love a turbodiesel? Its the perfect demographic to have only a diesel available.

Would this make sense? I understand its a bit long in the tooth, but if/when a redesign comes along, would it make sense to offer it to the US?

People have been crying since the cancellation of the Ford Ranger in the States.

I think whoever brings in the next small pickup will do well.

People went a bit crazy when it looked like India's Mahindra was going to bring over a small, cheap, diesel pickup. They never did.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    When I had the Mirage for testing, I had a Mitsu-fan coworker come over and start talking to me about how Mitsu needs a small truck in the US. He'd be the first to sign up for that haha.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That was actually part of the reason I decided to buy new, to "vote with my dollar," so to speak, and support cars like these being brought overseas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I miss my old single cab ford ranger, I would be interested in the L200

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can thank our corrupt/incompetent/bribed elected officials for the lack of small imported pick trucks.

The Chicken Tax (Yes, GM and Ford use the "Chicken Tax" to keep imported light trucks out of the US).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    right now I am not in the market for a new vehicle....but, if I had a few small reasonably priced imported 4x4 pickups to look at that had a manual trans, I'm sure I'd trade in the '09 Kia Sportage 4x4 come summertime! Until then, I will make it last since there is absolutely nothing in the U.S. market to even consider...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    You can thank our corrupt/incompetent/bribed elected officials for the lack of small imported pick trucks.

The Chicken Tax (Yes, GM and Ford use the "Chicken Tax" to keep imported light trucks out of the US).
    It has absolutely nothing to do with GM and Ford. Both GM and ford are forced to work around the tax, the Ford Transit and Transit Connect are built in Europe as passenger vans and converted into cargo vans in a special factory in the USA. GM buys the City truck from Nissan (its a re-badged NV200).

If their lobbyists are doing anything, they're trying to get rid of the tax so they can bring their trucks from the rest of the world here without the trouble they have to go thru right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Chicken tax has been in place for years, there are ways around it. How many Toyota and Nissan pickups did you see in the 80's and 90's for example...They seemed to sell quite well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with GM and Ford. Both GM and ford are forced to work around the tax, the Ford Transit and Transit Connect are built in Europe as passenger vans and converted into cargo vans in a special factory in the USA. GM buys the City truck from Nissan (its a re-badged NV200).
    If their lobbyists are doing anything, they're trying to get rid of the tax so they can bring their trucks from the rest of the world here without the trouble they have to go thru right now.
    Sorry rednwhitecooper, but I'm calling bullsh$%.

Here's a great article on GM and Ford's lobbying activity.

From the article:
    “Now that Japan is part of the negotiations,” wrote Reuters, the American Automotive Policy Council, a lobbying group representing GM, Ford, and Chrysler, “is trying to hold on to the current 2.5 percent tariff on Japanese cars and the 25 percent tariff on Japanese trucks for as long as it can.”
    Detroit and the unions finally drop the charade that all they are interested in is an opening of the allegedly closed Japanese car market, which has been wide open. The 25 percent chicken tax, along with skewed CAFE rules created a protected market for overpriced trucks that are safe from foreign competition. Detroit wants it to be protected for as long as possible, and the price to be paid by the American truck buyer.