Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The Maintenance Manual requires "Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance" every 32,000 km in Canada. What do you think that would involve?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    The Maintenance Manual requires "Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance" every 32,000 km in Canada. What do you think that would involve?
    Not much if you can do it yourself but expensive at a shop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can't find info, or shims.
    Last edited by Justamirage; 02-27-2017 at 03:06 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justamirage For This Useful Post:

BRagland (02-01-2016),gone.a (01-29-2016)

Thanks
    On my 92 Sentra there was no recommended valve adjustment interval. They were shimmed like a motorcycle but the range allowed was .013inch with the maximum at .023 and minimum at .010. I adjusted my 1973 Alfa Romeo once when I did a valve job at 58k miles. The car would foul the plugs at idle after a few minutes. Pulled the head and found the engine had no exhaust valve seals from the factory. I put some Mercedes seals for a 280 SL and valve guides from same so the seals had a place to attach.

100K miles later I checked them and they all were .001 less than when they were adjusted. At that rate it would have been 500k miles before they needed attention and the whole engine would be worn out by that mileage.

There is no recommended valve adjustment interval on the Mirage, either they are hydraulic, or like the Sentra, that interval is hundreds of thousands of miles.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

BRagland (02-01-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Maintenance Manual requires "Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance" every 32,000 km in Canada. Are you saying that this is not required in other countries?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So no valve adjument is required in the U.S.??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Valve adjustment as needed in the U.S.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    The 3A92 has hydraulic valve lifters, which under normal conditions are not an adjustable item as per any maintenance schedule. The only reasons any one would install different sized buckets would be because of excessive wear in the valve train or a change in valve stem height from machining.

So if you're scratching your head, wondering if you need to take your Mirage in for a valve adjustment. There is no adjustment schedule for the hydraulic valve lifters in the 3A92 engine.
    There may be no adjustment schedule, but there are also no hydraulic lifters.Solid lifters, 51 sizes available.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
    There may be no adjustment schedule, but there are also no hydraulic lifters.Solid lifters, 51 sizes available.
    Those buckets are hydraulic if I'm not mistaken.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    Those buckets are hydraulic if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry, but you are mistaken. The bucket comes in varying thickness end plates. Old Jaguar six cylinder dohc engines and countless Japanese motorcycles used similar setups. The difference is that those engines used removable pucks on the tops of the buckets or little varying thickness 'top hats' on top of the valve stems, just under the bucket.

The use of a complete bucket instead of shims probably adds to the cost, but if adjustments are few and far between, it shouldn't matter.

I would be more concerned with the dealerships using unqualified mechanics to do the arithmetic needed to calculate the required bucket thickness to bring clearances back to spec. It is subtraction and addition, after all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

BRagland (02-01-2016)