Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kamm extension

PS - looks good!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Side attachement pics

Updated post #8 on previous page with more explanation pictures but only so many attachements are allowed per post!

Looking straight up from the lower right edge of the open hatch:

Name:  141124_0016.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  58.7 KB

Further up gripping the glass:

Name:  141124_0017.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  66.1 KB

Looking down at the right rear facing to the back:

Name:  141124_0019.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  44.0 KB
    Last edited by 3dplane; 11-25-2014 at 12:51 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-03-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It looks great!

It would be awesome to see the A-B-A testing. I'm sure it helps, just wonder how much exactly.
    Thank you! There will be no A-B-A because I'm pretty sure it will not show up on the display.However I'm hoping for long term accumulation.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yes please.

If you have kept attached flow, it'll help. So don't be discouraged if you can't see a MPG difference in normal driving -- your normal MPG probably varies "naturally" up and down more than this individual modification will help.

FYI, I made a Kammback style extension for my Firefly/Metro. It was about twice as long as this one, and made about a 4% improvement in highway fuel economy. So yours is probably going to be somewhere less than that, considering it's less extensive than mine. (Mitsu already did a good chunk of the work with that factory spoiler.)
    Thanks! If I can get just 1% out of it,that would be great.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2014)

Thanks for the extra pics. Clever reversible attachment method! By the time I'm likely to get a Mirage, it'll be old enough I won't care about "reversible"

Going to post this on EcoModder?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Going to post this on EcoModder?
    Sure! I wonder if I cold copy the posts but I don't think the inserted pictures would stay with it. I'll have to experiment.

Did a little tuft test on my way home from work. Low light conditions did not allow me to take a picture that I would post here so I will just say it.

On the sides of the device the strings looked pretty good,straight and level pointing back.

However on the top surface it was interesting...they stayed straight and did not wiggle but they pointed inward up to 45°!

The one in the center stayed straight back but the further away from center,the more they seemed to point inward.

Like if I held a 'yarn magnet' at center three feet (1 m) behind the trailing edge of the spoiler and they all pointed at it.

So air spills toward center from the sides but not AT the side of the device?
    My twin horizontal tornados are now below the roofline and they reach back to the top of the spoiler?

Let me draw it in on this image to illustrate:
    Name:  141123_0004 (Medium)e2.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  68.2 KB

The wind finally died and I was able to put 72MPG on the display by the time I got home despite cold temps (for FL) like 10°C.

Waiting for expert analisys... I will post this on EcoModder too for more opinions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-03-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds like its working well to me. It is odd, but with flow staying attached it should show benefits.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

3dplane (12-01-2014)

Late getting back to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    However on the top surface it was interesting...they stayed straight and did not wiggle but they pointed inward up to 45°!

So air spills toward center from the sides but not AT the side of the device?
    Flow goes from higher to lower pressure. So, somehow you've got lower pressure in the center of the top surface than towards the edges (or massive vortices pressing everything down... but I can't see that happening).

Is the center of the extension being pushed/pulled down a little at speed? That could be it. It would be stiffer at the edges.

Heading to EcoModder now to see what others have said!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

3dplane (12-03-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can easily see it in the rear view mirror and no it is not being pushed down at speed. I gave it a generous overlap when I mounted the center piece. (by using those two longitudinally mounted 'rectangles' that is visible on the image taken from the rear.)

Possibly too great of an angle causing some weird flow.

To Daox! I did end up doing a little test (A,A-B,B) and it is now taken off for tweaking since coastdown roll-outs were identical with or without!

When I get a chance to reinstall it and test again,I will empty my car to make it light for the tests.(to let aero dominate the coast down instead of mass in motion)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-03-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Any updates on the kamm?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Any updates on the kamm?
    No updates since I took it off,it's been dark when I get home from work,(Saturdays too)and I have not had a Sunday where I felt like messing with it yet.

Will come back to it though!