Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notes on my Mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Notes on my Mirage

My father loved cars. He named our dog for a Porsche racing director. I started going along to kick tires as a six-year-old girl. Turns out, car addiction is contagious. Fast forward to Now.

Many reviewers depict the Mirage as a high-decibel wanderer that shudders at stop signs and has zero get-up-and-go. "An act of desperation" Consumer Reports calls it. Yet Mitsubishi had sold 500,000 before the Mirage came to the States. Strange that half a million owners could be so terribly, terribly wrong. Not to mention the cheerful accounts of owners in the United States. How could they too be so gullible?

I called the nearest (distant) Mitsubishi dealer, took a test drive, pondered. Cost, size, miles per gallon, and design persuaded me. En route home, the Mirage got 51 m.p.g. It's fine on the freeway. It's fine in town. What about that dreadful noise, shakiness, and erratic steering? Where are they? What about its "cheap" interior? I'm accustomed to kids and dogs: plastic is fine, thank you. Yes, you have to pay attention while driving. Don't you always have to pay attention while driving?

The Mirage does much more than usual for much less than usual. (I imagine the early Mini and VW bug were similarly basic and ingenious.) It's backed by a strong warranty. It's fun to drive. It's new, and I don't know how it will hold up. It gives every sign of being good, unpretentious, and maybe even classic.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rzb For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-04-2014),beerbelly58 (11-04-2014),Josharoo (11-30-2014),MetroMPG (11-04-2014),satria_wr (11-04-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I like your take on things. Welcome to the site.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The sad truth is that America's motoring public is comprised mainly of imbeciles.
    Fortunately Mitsubishi brought America the Mirage anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel the same way. I cant believe how badly Consumer Reports beat up the Mirage. I don't get it. I have 3400 miles on mine and just don't see the things they saw. It really seems unfair. I originally looked at the Mirage and turned away just because of some bad reviews but then that MPG pulled me back in and I test drove it twice. I am so glad I gave the car a second look. It has been nothing short of fantastic so far, a great little commuter hatchback at a low price with hybrid like fuel economy. I hope more people give it a chance despite the negative reviews.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want a Mirage so badly I can almost imagine how it would feel to own it!!! I just dont know if I can justify trading in my 2013 CR-Z for one...the CR-Z depreciates very very fast! If I could do an even up trade for a 2015 I might be persuaded.....just dont know what to do. Todays mpg at fillup was 42.31 for the last tankful...mixed driving about 65% highway and 35% other/city.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Driven 37000 km in it now and still it's more than fine car to drive. Compared to my dad's Daihatsu Taft, Ford TX-3, it's still way much better car in all terms

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

rzb - thanks for your thoughts on the car. Very nicely put.

Welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    I want a Mirage so badly I can almost imagine how it would feel to own it!!! I just dont know if I can justify trading in my 2013 CR-Z for one...the CR-Z depreciates very very fast! If I could do an even up trade for a 2015 I might be persuaded.....just dont know what to do. Todays mpg at fillup was 42.31 for the last tankful...mixed driving about 65% highway and 35% other/city.
    Boy you aren't kidding about the depreciation on the CR-Z... I remember the waiting lists and whatnot for those, and now you can find a used one with low miles for a little bit of nothing...

I think you would be better off keeping your CR-Z honestly.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rzb View Post
    Yes, you have to pay attention while driving. Don't you always have to pay attention while driving? .
    I'm starting to get this feeling that people don't want to pay attention while their driving. Cell phones and what not are a big part of it, but look at how many cars come with back up camera, parking sensors, blind spot sensor, blind spot camera, infrared cameras, automatic braking, etc... They all are designed for safety, but too many people are relying on the tools instead of their own eyes and ears. One of my friends wife's tore up the side of her suv on a fire hydrant this summer when she was backing up because, she was focusing on the back up camera instead of looking all around her.

Sorry about the rant, and thanks for the thoughts. I too am in the market for buying a Mirage for many reasons.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I love my Space Star (Mirage)! I am really pleased with it (Intense 1.2 CVT). But nothing is perfect in this world, so to make a lot of enemies, I will now write down the disadvantages I think it has.
    1. Steering is not centering properly, so it is constantly wanting to go off straight lines and worse it does not give feedback about that.
    2. To my taste the seats are just a bit too hard for very long driving.
    3. The headroom in the back is too restricted sideways.
    4. The headrests force my head in an almost look down position which is very annoying. So I am contemplating after market seat.
    5. The window frame around the front windshield is thicker than I am used to. Bicyclists can be hidden from view because of that. It caused almost two accidents in two months time where I almost hit a bike crossing the road. It was invisible for me.

Before you all are going to kill me, I would like to state that there are 100 positive points, so I am really pleased with the car!