View Poll Results: Did/do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • haven't noticed

1 2.78%
  • yes

14 38.89%
  • no

15 41.67%
  • what's "self-centering"?

6 16.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    I'm sure it's 0 or just a little bit toe out due to it being a FF car. Not so sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    I've also noted the steering feeling different - a little stiff or heavy feeling with little self centering - seems odd for such a light car.
    However I soon adjusted and am now comfortable with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 46.8 mpg (US) ... 19.9 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The steering wheel of my mirage doesn't really self center like other cars i've driven also, but I know this is normal and it is something that we should get used to, so this issue does not really bother me much. I think the car is too light weight to even need the self centering

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    my complaint about front wheel drive cars is on the highway they are always wanting to go in the direction pointed and you constantly have to "point" the car in a corrective manner. Is the mirage the same way??

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I had to wait a long time for my car to arrive here, but after a few days behind the steering wheel my conclusions are unchanged. Of course the vehicle has a few peculiarities: the self-centering is odd.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star 'Instyle' 1.2 automatic: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.2 mpg (Imp)

Another journalist comments on the on-center steering issue...

On the road, the Mirage has a large numb spot in the center of the steering. We found the car drifting out of its lane with no feedback through the wheel, requiring continual small corrections to keep it pointed straight ahead.
    from: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...s-mileage-test

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The electric assisted steering stops when the engine stops?
    is it electric?
    and yes.. does it stop or work from the battery?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The steering on mine is a little stiff. Takes a bit more energy to turn the wheel than other power steering cars I've driven. But I am happy with how well it stays where it is headed. No wandering. The car also maintains speed very well. With a constant throttle position, it will keep a constant speed. Nice for long trips.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

I had a chance to drive my Mom's 1997 (?) Toyota Camry yesterday and noticed the self-centering is much stronger than on my cars. It returns to center after steering quite a lot more "aggressively" than my cars do.

So maybe I'm just used to it, but the Mirage's steering didn't seem unusual to me at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spacester View Post
    is it electric?
    and yes.. does it stop or work from the battery?
    Yes it does! When your engine stops you will have no power steering at all. When the auto stop is engaged and you move the steering wheel even for just a bit it will automatically turns on your engine in order to engage the power steering.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)