View Poll Results: Did/do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • haven't noticed

1 2.78%
  • yes

14 38.89%
  • no

15 41.67%
  • what's "self-centering"?

6 16.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?

Good Q.

Gee I hate to say I did not. I guess I should have. What I have noticed is that it will drive straight on when driving on the HWY and I like that because I don't have to keep correcting. I guess that would help people who text a lot. When driving in town and taking a corner I would accelerate in them for fun. That's all fun to me. Love this car.

Keep the Faith!

-Zxit

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Oh I tried on the parking garage yesterday. I turn the wheels fully to the right and then drive off, the car corrects itself and wants to drive straight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    There isn't much self centering on these cars, but there is another issue it may be confused with. Some folks may see that as the self-centering issue itself.

Although very little force is needed to turn the wheel, for example in curves, the initial force needed to make any movement on the steering wheel is a bit too high.
    On a straight highway the car will therefore tend to continue wherever the wheel is turned to. If I need to make a minor correction, I need to use a too high force.
    For example. If I start trying to turn the wheel with a very small force and gradually increase and further increase it, the wheel will initially not move, and then suddenly turn a bit. You could say the steering jams a little bit.
    To correct this, a looser adjustment within the steering gearbox would be necessary.
    There is a large adjustment-nut, looking a bit like a crown that needs to be loosened a little bit. It presses on a small spring pushing on a stationary piece that in turn presses onto the horizontal toothed bar that engages with the actual gear inside the steering box. If the adjustment is too tight, the steering seemingly "jams" a bit. .
    This causes the pseudo self-centering problem. If the adjustment is loosened a bit, much less force is necessary and you would notice some self-centering. If too loose, the intended "frictional steering-dampener-function" will not occure any more. Thats not a problem for me, but maybe for others.

Unfortunately I can not change this adjustment on my mirage, because the adjustment nut and its counter-locking nut is practically inaccessable without removing the entire steering...

Maybe someone knows a workaround, or has done it on a Mirage?

Btw, had the exact same problem on my old Metro, but it was better accessable...
    Last edited by foama; 09-08-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Did you make this adjustment on your car?

I didn't notice the "sticky" or "jamming" problem on the Mirages I have driven. I thought I paid pretty close attention to the steering as well, since I found it quite odd. But not sticky.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Did I make the adjustment yet?

On my old Metro (Swift), yes! (Maybe I put a post into Teamswift perhaps ten years ago or so)

On my Mirage, no. Just can't get to it by any reasonable means.

And yes, the steering does jam a bit. For me, one of the most annoying issues on this car.

That sounds like a defect to me. Warranty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    None of you guys/gals have ever driven a forklift, have you?

You can turn the wheel on a lift to any angle, nail the throttle, and it will stay turned at that angle.

I have to drive one to move steel every day. The only odd thing about the steering in my Mirage was the fact that it had a lot less slack than my 1995 Grand Cherokee. That took some getting used to.

EPS fixes self-centering for 2017

New info on this issue:

The 2017 Mirage G4 sedan I'm currently driving uses the electric power steering motor to actively unwind / self-center the steering compared to the 2014 & 2015 Mirages I've driven.

This change makes the car easier & more pleasant to drive. (If only because it makes it behave like most other cars I'm used to driving.)

Thread: EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)