Country
    United States
    Thanks

Emissions testing via Roush

I received a set of letters in the mail from Roush and Mitsubishi:
    Name:  roush letter.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  93.1 KB

I sent in the post card that came with them agreeing to participate if they select my car. The only detail it asked for was the odometer reading, I'm closing in on 15k and am getting my second oil change on Monday. I don't know if the picture is readable but they take full responsibility of my car and the "late model" loaner they would swap it with and pay me $150 to do it. I'm hoping for a Roush Mustang but it probably won't be; maybe they would at least put a Roush badge/sticker on it.

Did anyone else happen to get one of these letters or one like it?

Roush letter:

Your vehicle may be selected as part of Mitsubishi's on-goig effort to increase the quality and performance of their vehicles. Mitsubishi has asked Roush Industries to send this letter to owners of 2014 model vehicles in the Metro Detroit area.

Mitsubishi is inviting you to participate in a special engineering emissions test program. Vehicles chosen for use in the program will be emission tested by Mitsu engineers for evaluation purposes. The purpose of this program is to evaluate how well the emission system is functioning. Testing takes place indoors on a dynamometer (treadmill like device) and is driven to simulate normal driving conditions.

This program is completely voluntary. The average program length is seven to ten business days, but may occasionally extend to a longer period if necessary. We are offering owners whose vehicles are selected for testing the following incentives:

- $150.00 cash upon completion
    - Free use of a late-model, fully insured loan vehicle while participating in the program.
    - Your vehicle will be washed and have a full tank of gas prior to its return to you.
    - Convenient exchange of vehicles at home or your place of business.

your vehicle and the loan vehicle will be safeguarded and fully insured by Roush Industries.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-14-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: (added text of letter - excuse any typos)
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedDE5Spd For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (02-10-2016),MetroMPG (11-14-2014),Mikhail (11-14-2014),satria_wr (11-14-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Where is the "like" button

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Sounds exciting. Let us know what happens.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Doesn't it seem a little bizarre? I mean, I'd probably do it, but I have to wonder why they're doing it.

A quick search found a few other references to similar testing of customer cars by Roush for other brands:

- http://forums.nicoclub.com/anyone-el...c-t376506.html
    - http://www.pace551.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41194
    - http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...refused-2.html

And they were offering Nissan owners 300 bucks in 2008!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Aha. I think this is why they're doing it:

The Federal government’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as the California Air Resources Board (CARB), require vehicle manufacturers to perform emissions tests on customer owned and operated vehicles that are 1-2 years old (between 10,000-50,000 miles) and 3-4 years old (over 50,000 miles) to verify the long term robustness of their exhaust emissions systems. This required test program is called the In-Use Verification Program (IUVP).

[...]

Chrysler works with Roush Industries and Automotive Testing & Development Services (ATDS) to procure and test customer-owned vehicles for IUVP emissions testing.
    Source: https://zoddda01.extra.chrysler.com/...257681000535b4

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did get the same letter a week or so ago. I would do this, but it says it takes place in Detroit. I live in the U.P. of Michigan and Detroit is a 9+ hour drive for me, so I will pass on this. Hope everyone that does this gets a Roush Mustang as their loaner though!! If it was summer and I was told for sure I will get one as a loaner for a week or so, I would plan a vacation down there and start saving for gas money ASAP! I imagine I would burn as much gas in that week with that car as I will burn in about 3 months with my Mirage...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    FatCat.......they come to you to swap the vehicles, so I wouldn't worry about your 11 or so hour drive from Calumet to Detroit....I'll post a picture of what they give me if they contact me. If it's a Roush Mustang, I'll borrow a GoPro and submit a video titled "How to Drift on the Expressway in Traffic" wish I could say I'm kidding but a car like that not on my insurance would be pushed hard, I mean **** I drifted the Mirage at 85 mph on the expressway in one of the country's most dangerous cities.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

RedDE - how many miles on your car now? The testing process says it requires 10k+ to qualify.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm at 14,900 at the moment, going in for my 15,000 mile oil change Monday. I'm a little excited, enough so that I ordered a couple forum stickers to have one on it before it goes (if they select me).
    -Billy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Any word back from them?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)