Thread: No Transmission Filter (CVT) - Magnefine?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

No Transmission Filter (CVT) - Magnefine?

I was looking through Wix's website and entered 2014 Mitsu Mirage info to pull up available filters:

Name:  WixFilters.jpg
Views: 2618
Size:  94.5 KB

As can be seen from the screenshot, 'NS' is marked for Transmission Filter meaning, Not Serviceable. I can only assume we have at most a screen for very large macro-particles.

I am very concerned about this. Without a trans filter, it seems like the trans was designed to just give out at a certain mileage/time interval (planned obsolescence??).

So I also came across an external filtration option for the trans:

http://www.magnefinefilters.com/main.sc

You apparently just splice in the return line for the transmission fluid with the filter. It has both magnetic and paper filtration.

Anyone have experience with these? Opinions?? I am DEFINITELY looking into this for my 1st trans service. Going to do my first at around 20-24 thousand miles.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A CVT doesn't have all the small ports of standard automatic. Service is very different.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VespaGoGo View Post
    A CVT doesn't have all the small ports of standard automatic. Service is very different.
    Hmm..not sure. What I do know is that CVT, just like a standard or planetary gearbox, relies just as much, if not more on certain amounts of friction to function.

Having no filter for the transmission seems like a terrible idea.

I looked up other models of other makes equipped with CVT's, and indeed, the ones I read about had transmission filters that could be serviced. One of them was just like the Magnefine, in that it was an inline solution, but came that way stock from the factory (no splicing necessary).

-Charlie-

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The oil still has to circulate through the plate cooler which would plug eventually if there were particles in the oil.
    Some things to consider:
    Does the pump in our trans run at a pressure sufficient to push through a filter?
    Has Mitsu designed in a magnetic trap or sump to take care of the particle issue to reduce the power/efficiency drain of a higher pressure pump and filter system?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    The oil still has to circulate through the plate cooler which would plug eventually if there were particles in the oil.
    Some things to consider:
    Does the pump in our trans run at a pressure sufficient to push through a filter?
    Has Mitsu designed in a magnetic trap or sump to take care of the particle issue to reduce the power/efficiency drain of a higher pressure pump and filter system?
    Here's a link to Magnefine filter FAQ: http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/faq.htm

Copy and pasted straight from the FAQ:

Will it effect my transmission performance?

With clean oil all machines will run better than when dirty. Your transmission is no exception. The Magnefine does not restrict oil lubrication flow. Itıs been tested in hot and cold conditions and approved by OEM's in Europe and USA.

I'm looking to get many, strong years past the factory warranty, so I am excited about this! No trans filter is certain doom (albeit a VERY slow one). Will report back when I get this (will be a while though, gotta get to 20k first).

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    At 237K my '93 Accord shifted like the day I got it. Original trans fluid, no replaceable filter. (ashamed to admit)
    Given, it's not a CVT...
    IMHO (as an old guy that's pissed alot away on snake oil)
    Charlie, don't piss your hard earned cash away on their snake oil.
    If you really want to be kind to that little CVT, just treat it to proper maintenance. (most never get that)
    If you want to go all out, watch for a low mile total, and harvest the CVT as a spare.
    Having a perfect spare trans is the ONLY way to guarantee that yours will never crap the bed....lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Like threepot, I also have a Honda (Civic though). Its a 2002 with 190k miles on it, automatic trans. It has no serviceable filter on it either. That doesn't mean there isn't a filter. It means there isn't one that needs to be changed. I believe there is one in there, but its buried inside the trans. If you do your scheduled fluid changes it should never be an issue.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)