Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Low Fuel warning (gas gauge flashes well before empty)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Driving on empty..no bars left

I spaced and totally forgot to get gas and found myself 15 miles from nearest gas station. Bars were not even left to flash... Just showed empty bars with no fuel. But by driving slow and coasting when possible, I was able to make it to has station. So im guessing there must be around a 1/4 gallon left when bars disappear

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Summer of 22 I let my son drive my Mirage. He was taking one summer class (college). I had him live at home and commute. A lot cheaper than what they wanted for housing. And since it was only 1 class...

But he went to the school probably every day. Said he could study better there. And, he did study hard, got an A, because he wanted to transfer to Georgia Tech. And he did. He's now a Georgia Tech student. Driving the Mirage saved roughly $10 for every drive he did to/from campus, versus driving his Infiniti G35.

Anywho - we live on the south side of Atlanta and his college at that time (KSU) was on the north side. I think it was about 50 miles one way. One time, he was on campus (his older brother was a KSU student at that same time) and he and his brother were going to drive off campus for some food, then drop his brother off on campus afterwards and drive home. Just after my older son got in the car to drive off campus, the car shut off. I got to watch all this on the dash cam video.

He had run it out of gas. He had not even looked at the gas gauge for days. Unless you know Atlanta, you can't imagine the danger he had put himself into. Not only is driving the interstates in and around Atlanta dangerous, breaking down while on the interstate increases your chances of tremendous injury or death to insane levels. That and, the "neighborhoods" that are traversed from north to south can be, how shall we say, ... hmmmmm, unhospitable. Can be. Not all. Even the roughest hoods have nice people. But the ruffians are more mobile, so chances of a run-in with a ruffian is pretty high.

OMG, he was so blessed to run out of gas right there on campus. On the dash cam, they sat there for a while trying to figure out what the problem was. What a couple of maroons (as bugs bunny would say).

I'd like to know if the gas gauge did the same thing as yours did, empty bar, no flashing. An experiment may be in order.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    He had not even looked at the gas gauge for days.
    I would have the same problem with Speck. Several weeks would pass before refueling, sometimes I would forget about hitting a gas station.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)