Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Fuel warning (gas gauge flashes well before empty)

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'm living at ground zero of the projected Cascadia Subduction Zone mega quake of 9.0 or higher.
    On the plus side, if you're in your Mirage when it hits, you won't even feel it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No matter what you do, you aren't going to use more than 9 gallons to fill up. I'd place a wager on that!
    I'll take that bet.

Fuel Log for Speck

Look for the fill-up for November 2, 2019.

And no, I didn't run out of gas though I sure was running on fumes. I didn't tell my passengers how desperate things were until we were off the highway and at our destination. Once I dropped them off (we were running late that day) I went to the gas station.

Fun times - I recommend everyone try it at least once.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-26-2019),MetroMPG (11-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    On the plus side, if you're in your Mirage when it hits, you won't even feel it.
    Is there a signal beyond the no bars & entire gauge flashing, or does it stay that way until the very end?

I have to climb to steep of a ridge road to get home. I let you other members share your running on fume test results.

Filing up when the bars disappear & entire gauge is flashing is enough notice for me. I know about how much fuel is left at that point, and I know the average mpg of my Mirage. No need to panic, but it is time to fill up.

I wouldn't let an older car run empty, unless I knew my gas tank was totally free of crud. Outside of chainsaws & push mowers, running out of fuel can cause headaches I'd rather avoid.

I ran my old 70’ f100 and 86 bronco run dry almost weekly. Once at a red light waiting to turn left. A guy behind me must have recognized the truck broke down all over town or on the side of the road with a Jerry can. He offered to push me to the next gas station with his truck that had a big bush bumper .

I’m also curious about how accurate the distance tip empty deal is. I filled up last Friday? And it showed 520km to go, I’ve gone 160km so far and it now shows 360til empty. On the wife’s optima I could drive it down til 10km til empty a few times. I’ve had my older 02 and 05 ghetto dodges down to 50km til empty before filling up pretty regularly.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-26-2019 at 02:13 AM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’m also curious about how accurate the distance tip empty deal is. I filled up last Friday? And it showed 520km to go, I’ve gone 160km so far and it now shows 360til empty.
    Here is what my owner's manual for my 2015 US model has to say about the Driving Range display:

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage US Owner's Manual
    Driving range display

This displays the approximate driving range (how many more miles or kilometers you can drive). When the driving range falls below approximately 30 miles (50 km), “---” is displayed.

Note
    • The driving range is determined based on the fuel consumption data. This may vary depending on the driving conditions and habits. Treat the distance displayed as just a rough guideline.
    • When you refuel, the driving range display is updated. However, if you only add a small amount of fuel, the correct value will not be displayed. Fill to a full tank whenever possible.
    • When your vehicle is stopped on an extremely steep hill, the driving range value may, change. This is due to the movement of fuel in the tank and does not indicate any breakdown.
    • The display setting can be changed to the preferred units (miles or km). Refer to “Changing the function settings” on page 5-68.
    I think it's fairly accurate, though I don't usually use it or pay attention to it. I usually have the MID-A fuel economy displayed. I fill up when the gas gauge says I ought to (usually.)

I've noticed that the driving range will reflect the current average fuel consumption versus what's left in the tank. So if I go from highway fuel economy to stop-and-go, the driving range drops. If I go from stop-and-go to highway, the driving range increases.

Hope that helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I know how the 2 are relative to each other, just not sure how accurate they are. I'll find out in another week by the looks of things. I guess I should read the manual one day. I just like looking at the pictures.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-27-2019)

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My average mpg is usually around 42mpg. When i get gas I reset the trip and I know I can get about 360 miles out of that tank with 30 miles to spare. I believe the gas lights starts flashing without a bar you've got 2 gallons left.
    Shake and bake baby

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LetItMarinate For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LetItMarinate View Post
    I believe the gas lights starts flashing without a bar you've got 2 gallons left.
    I would agree that it is pretty close to that. When I've gone a short distance on the flashing gauge (no bars left), I have found myself to be under 2 gallons of gas left in the tank.

I sort of think of each solid bar (8 of them total) as representing one gallon of gas each, but they are a bit less than that. When the 8th bar disappears, you have more than 1.2 gallons of gas left in the tank. I would agree that it's more like 2 gallons left in my Mirage, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-27-2019 at 01:30 AM.

zero bars = existential moment

I HAVE SEEN zero bars & the flashing gauge!

It was an existential moment.

I contemplated the void... and flinched: I added 3 L (0.8 US gal) of gas that I was carrying.

I added another 31 L (8.2 US gal) when I got back to my preferred gas station (about 30 km / 19 mi. away), which means I put ~ approx. 34 L (9 gal) total into a 35 L tank. Not counting the volume of the filler neck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-02-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I HAVE SEEN zero bars & the flashing gauge!

It was an existential moment.

I contemplated the void... and flinched: I added 3 L (0.8 US gal) of gas that I was carrying.

I added another 31 L (8.2 US gal) when I got back to my preferred gas station (about 30 km / 19 mi. away), which means I put ~ approx. 34 L (9 gal) total into a 35 L tank. Not counting the volume of the filler neck.
    Wouldn't it be 9 gallons minus whatever you used driving to the gas station? Maybe it was a short distance?