Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Low Fuel warning (gas gauge flashes well before empty)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Saw this, guage was flashing one bar... Got to gas station... Showed no bars and flashed. (No, I do not do this often... Son had the car last). Only took 8 gallons to fill up... So still had enough gas to keep fuel pump active and lubricated. Notice the no miles listed on distance to empty screen.
    Attachment 1881
    Attachment 1882
    I don't remember reading the first post in this thread, but it somewhat supports my theory that each bar represents approximately one gallon of fuel. If you wait until the last bar (of the eight bars) just disappears to fuel up, you will still have a little over one gallon of gas left in the tank.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think we have had our 2018 for a month or so now, and this got me good today! The last bar started flashing, for the first time since we've owned it, and I was on an unfamiliar turnpike with unknown chances to get gas. I drove at least 15miles till I could find a gas station after the flashing started, and I was beginning to get a little anxious. I was 50miles from home and I would have had to call roadside assistance, as no one could come bring me gas. Then I found a gas station and... 7.55 gallons! I could have went another 50miles easy!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The other day purposely estimated to drive the tank as low as possible. My previous calculation that the empty bars start flashing when there's almost 2 gallons left matched the refill amount of 8.8 gallons.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to R01k For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    The other day purposely estimated to drive the tank as low as possible. My previous calculation that the empty bars start flashing when there's almost 2 gallons left matched the refill amount of 8.8 gallons.
    Mirage gas tank is 9.2 gallons. How does this show 2 gallons are left?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I literally thought the same thing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When the empty bars started flashing I started estimating the fuel left based on 2 gallons in the tank, the mpg and the distance traveled from that point on. That was giving me 0.6 gallons left at the gas station later on. Fill up was 8.8 gallons, out of 9.2 total capacity. So, my estimate was off by 0.2 gallons..., close enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When the empty bars started flashing I started estimating the fuel left based on 2 gallons in the tank, the mpg and the distance traveled from that point on. That was giving me 0.6 gallons left at the gas station later on. Fill up was 8.8 gallons, out of 9.2 total capacity. So, my estimate was off by 0.2 gallons..., close enough.
    How many miles did you travel on the empty flashing bar? Just curious, not trying to be annoying!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How many miles did you travel on the empty flashing bar? Just curious, not trying to be annoying!
    I don't remember now, but I did the test twice; making me feel confident of the result. The key is to measure the mpg, the distance traveled and the refill amount from the point when the bar starts flashing to the gas station.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did the same test today.

• Distance driven between start of empty bars and gas station: 37.2 mi
    • Fuel efficiency between start of empty bars and gas station: 36.9 mpg
    • Fuel up: 8.367 g

I'll let you guys do the math.
    Last edited by R01k; 08-02-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did the same test today.

• Distance driven between start of empty bars and gas station: 37.2 mi
    • Fuel efficiency between start of empty bars and gas station: 36.9 mpg
    • Fuel up: 8.367 g

I'll let you guys do the math.
    My records show a number of fills between 9 & 10 gallons, highest in that 'normal' fill (when the pump clicks off) is 9.7 gals.

Additionally, one time, i had a long distance between stations, and so topped the heck out of my line. i got 11.05 gallons in. i know ppl freak out about how the world is going to end if i do this, but i only did it once, so spare me the admonishment.

i was curious so i checked out the forums as my spouse drives and the gauge is blinking on one bar. looks like i'm the outlier, though i havent perused the thread.

'21 1.2 MT