Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedlab's supercharged Mirage 1.2L

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    CVT transmissions are notoriously weak. The lightweight of the Mirage does help, but I wouldn't expect the CVT to handle much more than the stock amount of power. Manual transmissions can usually handle a power boost, but our manual transmissions are also very small. Overall this car is designed to be affordable, not upgradable.

The downside to modern car design, is the engineers can punch some data into a computer, and the computer can tell them exactly how strong parts need to be to last through the warranty period.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Im waiting to see if this is even capatible with North American models.

We shall see what this brings. If the uni chip isnt capatible with our ecu/harness we will still need a tuner...
    Last edited by TheTransporter; 11-30-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    CVT transmissions are notoriously weak. The lightweight of the Mirage does help, but I wouldn't expect the CVT to handle much more than the stock amount of power. Manual transmissions can usually handle a power boost, but our manual transmissions are also very small. Overall this car is designed to be affordable, not upgradable.

The downside to modern car design, is the engineers can punch some data into a computer, and the computer can tell them exactly how strong parts need to be to last through the warranty period.
    that's right but look at jatco transmission max torque for mirage . after all.. i'm still happy with my mirage.. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    CVT transmissions are notoriously weak. The lightweight of the Mirage does help, but I wouldn't expect the CVT to handle much more than the stock amount of power.
    Maybe not an issue in this case: the Mirage's CVT wasn't designed specifically for the Mirage. It's an off-the-shelf transmission from JATCO that is used in other more powerful cars, including (off the top of my head) the Chevy Spark with 92 hp, and the Nissan Versa with 109 hp.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-01-2014),Donggie (11-30-2014),satria_wr (11-30-2014)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Maybe not an issue in this case: the Mirage's CVT wasn't designed specifically for the Mirage. It's an off-the-shelf transmission from JATCO that is used in other more powerful cars, including (off the top of my head) the Chevy Spark with 92 hp, and the Nissan Versa with 109 hp.
    True. Even nissan juke use the same type of CVT,... And they also use the same CVT for nissan livina,...
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satria_wr View Post
    True. Even nissan juke use the same type of CVT,... And they also use the same CVT for nissan livina,...
    And alas, get this guys: it's the manual guys who need to wonder and worry. *GASP*

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is awesome that a supercharger kit may be available to us! With that said, the #1 reason I bought this car was for the fuel economy. A lot of people have to be in the same boat, so this certain modification makes no sense to do for me. Then again, I would also love to see some vids of people installing this on the Mirage and putting it to the test as well!

-Charlie-

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With our engine and it's high 10.5:1 compression, a supercharger may in fact be better than a turbocharger because you can control when the boost comes in a lot easier. With high compression, a slow and steady increase in boost pressure will make it easier to tune the system in order to prevent detonation. You also have a consistent boost ramp that is more predictable than a turbocharger.

The U.S. spec cars might actually do better since the computer can control the air/fuel ratio even better since it measures the amount of air coming into the engine to determine how much fuel to inject where the Mirage in other parts of the world just use the amount of air pressure in the intake manifold to determine how much fuel to inject, which sounds like it would work better, but the factory system can not read pressure over ambient pressure.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    With our engine and it's high 10.5:1 compression, a supercharger may in fact be better than a turbocharger because you can control when the boost comes in a lot easier. With high compression, a slow and steady increase in boost pressure will make it easier to tune the system in order to prevent detonation. You also have a consistent boost ramp that is more predictable than a turbocharger.

The U.S. spec cars might actually do better since the computer can control the air/fuel ratio even better since it measures the amount of air coming into the engine to determine how much fuel to inject where the Mirage in other parts of the world just use the amount of air pressure in the intake manifold to determine how much fuel to inject, which sounds like it would work better, but the factory system can not read pressure over ambient pressure.
    Thank you for this... just waiting for someone to figure out the difference.

Anyway, with regard to the Unichip or any other system you will use to tune, you can clamp the voltage of both the map and maf in order to prevent the stock computer from seeing boost and throwing a cel. Since the Rotrex best driven Supercharger is also rpm dependent and it's boost is also linear based on RPM, it is extremely easier to tune than an exhaust driven supercharger.

It's not for everyone and we're not "pushing" the system on anyone. It does have a cost. The cost has been clearly shared. Speedlab sells many many different supercharger and turbo kits for many different vehicles. It just so happens they have one for the mirage. So if you're interested, great. If not, well, please do not expect that we will bend over backwards and send you a free kit to test it out to see if it works... we know that it does. Considering the cost of the components going into the kit... do the math, we're not going to get rich on the sale of a kit for the mirage. But it's there if you would like one.

You won't believe the emails we get.

I will answer as many as I can as honestly as I can, as technically correct and complete as I can... but please refrain from the "discount"..."let's cut a deal"... or "prove to me", line of questions. I just won't answer them.

Thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    *Disclaimer: No bashing, since I myself am undecided, but just providing arguments for both sides. It may seem biased, but that's because one side seems to be getting supported well while the other is taking flak.*

Good points overall, but they've been tuning high compression boost for a long time now, which means vast knowledge is available making turbos not only viable, but a reasonable one as well. For example: almost every Honduh Vtec out there.

Sharp climbs in boost have been made manageable with tuning and meth only helps further in stabilizing increases in boost and knock prevention by cooling the cylinders and increasing one's octane count, as well as allowing you to advance your timing further which means you can either run more boost to a limit or run a lower goal safer. Both of what I've mentioned are also beneficial to S/Cing of course.

But from what I know, S/Cs and turbos are getting more like each other in both aspects because of tuning, meth, and other methods. Still though, turbos will always yield more power cheaper than S/Cs, but you have to be more diligent in your build, tuning and research. S/Cs are good for slapping on with less care but they cost slightly more per hp.

S/Cs are for sure a safer route when relying on just the S/C, but tuning has come a ways that allows turbo tech to push it's limits further and still be as safe as running a S/C.