Thread: winter tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool winter tires

I have had 175/65/14's on for over 2 months now...They are the Goodyear Altimax snow tires. Awesome traction on slushy snow, deep snow, and good for stopping/starting on ice. However, very big decrease in gas mileage. I would always average 47-51 mpg on trips back and forth to work with the stock tires. Now it is low 40's on dry roads, mid to high 30's on snow covered roads. These are what I need to travel safely in the winter though, so I am not complaining. However, I do miss seeing 50+ mpg. I put the tires on the stock alloy wheels with hope of saving up to get some sweet rims and wider tires for summer. I have only 2100 miles on the stock tires though, so I might just pick up some 14 inch rims(if I can find some cheap ones that look good) and put them on for the summer so I can get 50+mpg again. Anyone else find their winter tires have such a drastic impact on their mpg???

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Snow tires are 100% worth it. The General Altimax Arctic are EXCELLENT snow tires, especially when you consider their price. They make a huge difference as stopping as well - which makes them necessary for stopping an AWD vehicle. I run them on my 4x4 Jeep.

Yes - definitely a mileage hit. The only LRR "winter" tire I am aware of is the Michelin XIce 3 .... which doesnt do as well in the snow. The softer compounds, open tread designs will hurt mileage. I went from ~36 MPG in the Focus to ~31MPG by switching to my snow tires. The snow tires are even a bit narrower/taller and im running them at the max on the sidewall.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nokian apparently makes some very nice LRR snow tires. You do pay for it though.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Nokian apparently makes some very nice LRR snow tires. You do pay for it though.
    Yes - completely non existant dealer network. I like Nokian snow tires ... can't get them anywhere but online!