Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC & Fan not working

Country
    United States
    Thanks

AC & Fan not working

So the AC has quit working. More important is the fact that the radiator fan has also stopped working.

Can you do me a favor and see if (while you AC is off) the radiator fan comes alive.

I have called the stealership, who wont give me a loaner, and they told me to call the roadside assistance to tow the car to them.

Looking to e-mail mitsuNA and ask for a loaner or at least subsidize one for me.

EDIT:
    I think I'm doing them a favor by taking the car in WITHOUT having it overheat. Due to the lack of thermostat, there's no way to find out if this thing's overheating already. From a cold start, I started the car last night, changed out two tires, and still no fan. Ambient temp was 70F +/- a few *.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Seriously? That's a huge bummer..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tell me 'bout it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did your high coolant temp warning light come on? It's the same light as the low coolant temp light, but it comes on red instead of green. My radiator fan kicks on at about 220 degrees F coolant temp, and brings it down to around 206 F. This is with or without the AC running.

Good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-24-2014)

Bummer - keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    Did your high coolant temp warning light come on? It's the same light as the low coolant temp light, but it comes on red instead of green. My radiator fan kicks on at about 220 degrees F coolant temp, and brings it down to around 206 F. This is with or without the AC running.

Good luck.
    It has not yet. I'm pretty sure the engine temp has reached that for changing two tires out. But like I said, I don't want to risk engine damage just to prove a point. They can connect to the OBDC and find out if they want. I don't have a way to do so right now.

If you know your coolant fan isn't working and you need to drive the car, just put the heat on max and the blower fan on high.

And you might have to roll down a window.

A ScanGauge is useful in situations like this (numeric coolant temp readout).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Can you do me a favor and see if (while you AC is off) the radiator fan comes alive.
    Mine does.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know it should, the question is how long did it take?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    So the AC has quit working. More important is the fact that the radiator fan has also stopped working...
    May I ask how is the A/C not working?
    Blower fan works?
    Is the compressor not coming on?

It makes a distinctive click plus a little rattle for the first second of operation on the Mirage. So you could tell if you are used to hearing the compressor's sound and feel from previous A/C usage.

I'm just wondering.

I have never heard the radiator fan coming on in my mirage and I have about 90% of my grill blocked.
    Although I almost never idle it.

Driving mine down the road my coolant temp runs between 196°F to 206°F but that included some neutral coasting when I got these numbers with a cheap little scanner.

You should be safe driving it normally with forward motion as long as you will not let it idle too much like in a stop and go traffic situation! (until you can drop it at the dealer)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)