Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Mirage breaks fuel-efficiency record

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi Mirage breaks fuel-efficiency record

This just showed up on Google News page.

A Mitsubishi Mirage G4 was able to break a fuel efficiency record previously set in the country by traveling the most distance on one tank of fuel. Several Mitsubishi Mirage models were used in the event, which were able to drive across the Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, with one unit being able to travel a total of 1,647 kilometers.

The Mirage G4s managed to travel from Luzon to Visayas and up to Mindanao on just one full tank or 42 liters of fuel. The results were beyond expectations as the Mirage G4 manual transmission was able to travel a total distance of 1,647.1km while the CVT achieved 1,517.9 km and the Mirage hatchbackachieved 1,278.6km with just one full tank.
    http://www.manilatimes.net/mitsubishi-mirage-breaks-fuel-efficiency-record/166639/

Last edited by MetroMPG; 03-03-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: (added quotes from article)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiMi For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-03-2015),debburyl (05-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Read the article..awesome!

Why would the G4 sedan get significantly more mileage than the hatchback version?

Are sedan body shapes inherently more aerodynamic than hatches?

Sedan actually comes stock with 175 width wheels instead of the hatch's 165..hmm.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

Why would the G4 sedan get significantly more mileage than the hatchback version?

Sedan actually comes stock with 175 width wheels instead of the hatch's 165..hmm.

-Charlie-
    The challenge was for the longest distance on a tank of fuel. The hatchback's tank has a 35 liter capacity, while the sedan's tank has a 42 liter capacity.
    Last edited by fifteenwindow; 03-03-2015 at 01:37 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fifteenwindow For This Useful Post:

fatcat (05-28-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

-Charlie-
    You will also find to get these huge numbers, it would be drafted the entire time so it only gets the pull and clean air from another vehicle, and usually on flat ground in good temperature to aide the fuel consumption.

So then which actually get better mileage (without drafting, and taking fuel tank size and aerodynamics into play)? The hatch or the sedan?

I'm assuming the sedan due to its larger fuel tank regardless?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    1.640 km on one tank?????? Even by driving 80 km/hour all the time I cannot even manage to get 560 km

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can someone break that into mpg? Us americans arnt smart when it comes to that hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    So then which actually get better mileage (without drafting, and taking fuel tank size and aerodynamics into play)? The hatch or the sedan?

I'm assuming the sedan due to its larger fuel tank regardless?
    All else being equal, the hatch is slightly more efficient: it's a little lighter, slightly more aerodynamic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    They probably overfilled the tanks. Thats common with MPG competitions. So, its hard to say exactly how much is in the tank until it can't pump anymore. Lets just assume the stated tank volumes and convert to get a ball park though:

For the manual sedan:

42L = 11.0952 gallons (US)

1647.1 = 1023.46 miles

1023.46 / 11.0952 gallons = 92.2 mpg

Guaranteed they were traveling slower than 80 kmh to achieve this.

For the manual hatch:

35L = 9.246 gallons

1278.6 = 794.485 miles

794.485 / 9.246 = 85.93 mpg

The CVT sedan got 85 mpg even using the same method.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    Can someone break that into mpg? Us americans arnt smart when it comes to that hahaha
    It's not that hard, but the driving techniques and low average speeds required to get those results are not practical in "real world driving". It's stuff people only do in "extreme" fuel economy competitions.

The G4 manual transmission was able to travel a total distance of 1,647.1km on 42 liters of fuel.

That's 39.2 km/L = 2.55 L/100 km = 92.2 mpg US = 110.73 mpg UK.

Oh, guess what! 3dplane has already beat that.

(On a much shorter trip. )

I personally got a much less impressive result in the Mirage I had:

That was for an actual round trip of about 12 km on a warm engine in quiet sub/urban conditions.

And I also believe the MID vastly under-reports mileage when you do a lot of engine-off coasting like this. My actual MPG was probably quite a bit higher than indicated. I'll have to post a thread about that...
    From thread: Gas Mileage Picture thread ; Let it be shown ...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (03-03-2015)