Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports calls Mirage a "turkey" - gets the worst review score of 2014

Consumer Reports calls Mirage a "turkey" - gets the worst review score of 2014

Name:  1992-cr-mirage.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  50.0 KB

They're at it again!

We've already heard nasty things about the Mirage from CR this year (Just In: Small, underpowered 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage and Even Consumer Reports is savaging the Mitsubishi Mirage.)

Now the Mirage has landed at the top of their "turkeys of 2014" list...

The lowest-scoring car we’ve tested recently is the Mirage, earning just 29 out of 100 points in our road tests.

This tiny, Thailand-built subcompact seems like an act of desperation, dressing a primitive Asia-market car with some upscale toys and calling it a day. The weak, vibrating, and incredibly noisy three-cylinder engine provides sluggish acceleration, handling is clumsy, and the cabin is depressingly low-rent.

Further lessening its appeal is its Poor score in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety small-overlap crash test. Shame is, Mitsubishi really needs a homerun, but this car is clearly strikes out.
    Also on the list:

• Fiat 500L
    • Nissan Versa Sedan
    • Nissan Armada
    • Mercedes-Benz GL350 BlueTec
    • DieHard car batteries

The full article is here, if you care: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...year/index.htm

Actually, the most interesting thing on that list is about the Versa sedan, which happens to be the cheapest car in the U.S. and also the best-selling subcompact almost every single month:

The Versa sedan has the lowest owner satisfaction among all cars, at just 42 percent of owners saying they would definitely buy it again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car doesn't gobble.........
    These reviews are misleading to the average consumer.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Agreed.

And speaking of gobbling, they complain about the engine, and then completely omit that it gets great fuel economy!

And never mind the fact that lots of people have commented that they love the sound of that growly little triple.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't thinks it is too bad or noticeable just driving it without revving it to the moon. The worse noise is the general road noise, but even that I dull down with the radio.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    General road noise is only an issue in the cheaper versions (at least here in NL). I drove the cheaper version CVT, called Instyle here as a test drive. I said to the sailesman that the general road noise was the only thing that really disappointed me. Still I bought the Mirage, but with higher specs (called Intense here) and much, much reduced general road noise. So, I think the wheel arches received better insulation.

Do you know if they add more sound insulation on the higher version? Even just adding the rear cargo cover would reduce some noise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    that I dull down with the radio.
    See... the answer is cheap and easy. In my car, I find that road noise just can't keep up with Slayer/Metallica/Nirvana/Fear Factory/Slipknot/Etc.

But my opinion on in-car noises may be invalid. No car, anywhere, makes as much racket as my 1400 Intruder.

And very, very few cars are as fast.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (11-30-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Consumer Reports...consider the source....
    Unfortunately, most folks take whatever those clowns say as gods given truth...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't expect much from a $12k car built in Thailand by a car company that hasn't put out truly decent product in over a decade.

I agree with most of the complaints about the car. Its overly noisy, the ride and handling are pretty much garbage, most of the materials are lacking but the fit and finish is OK. As far as transportation goes, its a good car. It does the job just fine. It won't ever be able to compete with the Yaris or Fit but it covers a section of the market that the Yaris and Fit no longer cater to now that they have moved up a few slots in their class.

The cheapest cars on the market are usually still popular cars since there is always a demand for a cheap new car, it doesn't matter what the reviews say.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rednwhitecooper For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (11-30-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The article is totally biased. Yes, the Mirage got a low rating with the IIHS on the small overlap front crash test, but most cars were the same road and none got the maximum score. Despite all the trash they throw at the Mirage, I'm more than happy spending less than a third in gas now than with my previous sedan. And let's not forget that you could park with your eyes closed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)