Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Power, Better Mileage, Faster Acceleration

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love what you've done here Mini Trail. I bet it sounds amazing too. Would you be able to give me the part # of the Magnaflow that you used? I would like to replace the stock muffler, and maybe modify the intake side of things later on.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I dunno how it will perform as far as mileage goes but no one can argue with the look.
    nice clean install !
    kudos.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    do you know what mitsu's part number is for the air filter cover? i would rather buy one and mod that one in case i need to revert back to stock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Absolutely. The Air Box Lid you want is part #1500A587 Mitsubishi Motors. I paid $42.00 but I got a discount because I just bought the car there. I told the dealership what I was doing to make sure that it didn't void my warranty, and they said no problem because it is AFTER the Mass Air Flow Sensor...that was the key.
    The name of the item is: Cap, Air Cleaner

Glad to help.
    DJ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's the part # of the muffler when you get a chance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    The stock airbox does not suck in hot air from the radiator. Our radiators are offset to the drivers side, and the stock airbox has a snout to pull in cool air. This aftermarket setup here will pull in more hot air than the stock setup.

Also, the mass airflow sensor itself is the smallest section of piping on the intake. That would be the most restrictive part. Additionally I would bet you are restricting airflow by using that tiny little air filter on the end. Our OEM air filters have a much larger surface area to allow for airflow than that tiny little round filter on the end you've installed.

In the end, this is a tiny 3 cylinder engine. Being so small in displacement, "bolt on" modifications will make a tiny difference in actual power. Your intake modification I'm betting will have reduced power in the higher RPM's. The muffler may have increased Horsepower, but eliminating some back pressure may have also reduced torque.

There's no way to know for sure without a dyno test before and after. Until I see one I am going to disagree that these modifications made any real improvement.
    After 15 years of tuning race cars... This. 100% this. Because science.

The Mirage pulls its air from an air dam inlet in from of the engine, nowhere near the radiator. You've moved the air intake point above the header. Heat rises. That's hot air. Pictures say 1000 words. Also, just like stated above, the largest restriction is the MAS. Regardless, no matter how much you increase piping size, only so much CFM of air will fit through the opening of the throttle body and into the compression chamber. Without tuning, a car won't do anything with more air anyway. The ECU will override it and usually slow RPMs to get the air ratio back to stock levels. That's why we put larger everything on tuned cars, in a set so they all work together with no waste of a modification. As for the exhaust, eh, it's a toss up. I don't think this engine puts out enough back pressure to really make a difference with anything installed. I like people trying new things to improve there car, so to each there own, really. Looks like a nice clean install.

I'd race you, but none of my cars are CARB legal. I don't want that ticket/impound...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    After 15 years of tuning race cars... This. 100% this. Because science.
    Indeed.

Better breathing (in and out) is always better IMO. But a K&N, it's a scam. Your stock filter flows all the CFM you'll *ever* need (see link below). I am totally down for enhancements and good sounds. But they're not necessary correlated. Without a dyno, it's:"well I feel more power..." Aural sensations may feel like "more power," but a feeling aint a dyno.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post13443
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I suspect the stock filter element is totally adequate for 1.2L
    When I looked at it, I thought it was generously sized for the application. (old guy / seen a few filters...)
    Minihaha's right. Dyno would be ultimate proof.
    The main problem I have with K&N's is how much grit I HAVE SEEN them pass in the motorcycles I work on.
    I don't know if it would be the same on my little Mitsu, and I have no desire to find out.
    Sorry K&N, no snake oil for me.
    Don't let K&N lighten your wallet.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Trail70 View Post
    Absolutely. The Air Box Lid you want is part #1500A587 Mitsubishi Motors. I paid $42.00 but I got a discount because I just bought the car there. I told the dealership what I was doing to make sure that it didn't void my warranty, and they said no problem because it is AFTER the Mass Air Flow Sensor...that was the key.
    The name of the item is: Cap, Air Cleaner

Glad to help.
    DJ
    Is this you ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-Mi...6d5005&vxp=mtr

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks the same to me. What do you say Mini Trail? Also I'm interested in the Magnaflow part number you used for your exhaust.