Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Power, Better Mileage, Faster Acceleration

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Be interesting to see some dyno pulls. Curious to see how and where your mods changed the curves.
    I'd love more intake honk, and slightly more exhaust sound, as long as it doesn't cause a dip in the torque curve below 3K, where I spend 99% of my time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes. Look at the seller name. It is Mini-Trail70. I bought enough to do two of these thinking I might either make a mistake or ? I did it right the first time and now I'll sell the 2nd one. If I would have seen my ad before I made this, I would have just bought it instead of making it myself. Although, making it was kind of fun.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Trail70 View Post
    Wanna race?
    Obviously, you are some Eggbert that doesn't understand flow. I didn't even comment about the temperature of the air that the stock air box sucks in. I just know that that tiny little opening facing forward it all there is. The K&N technology is not up for debate. These filters flow much more than the stock air box because they are 360 degrees of air intake. Our statements are correct about the muffler. What we did to ensure no loss of torque is use the stock tail pipe back down to it's normal size. The muffler is less restrictive which makes the difference. The stock air box is a huge plastic area with compartments for initial acceleration, but nonetheless is restrictive. I notice a HUGE difference in power with these two modifications, and frankly don't give a darn what you think or say about it. I'll be willing to bet that the car delivers SUBSTANTIALLY more mileage when broken in compared to a stock restrictive setup (if I can keep my foot off the pedal). I just love the sound of the intake and the minimal amount I need to push on the pedal to feel results. I'll bet your is completely stock and you live to bash people who try new things. Get a life.
    Theres a company in Thailand I think that showed even with a tune that putting a different exhaust netted almost no gains. The same company also sells an intake and a tune which nets very little gain (although large in perspective). And you are saying that your changes along with absolutely no tune net these huge gains. I have to say that your butt dyno needs some calibration. If anything, with these changes and the common loss of torque when people add intakes without tunes on vehicles, you have lost power not gained. Now get out there prove me wrong and I'll eat my words. Having built a few cars (all being mitsubishis) I'd say without fear of being wrong that you have made your car run worse. Oh and I will race you in my mirage c'mon out to Cleveland.

Come on, play nice now people.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (02-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Trail70 View Post
    Yes. Look at the seller name. It is Mini-Trail70. I bought enough to do two of these thinking I might either make a mistake or ? I did it right the first time and now I'll sell the 2nd one. If I would have seen my ad before I made this, I would have just bought it instead of making it myself. Although, making it was kind of fun.
    I figured it was you. But I didn't want to assume. I hadn't seen your original post yet when I asked (duh)
    Nice effort BTW !
    Regardless of the outcome.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not interested in more power but if this works as a hot air intake for improved fuel economy I would be somewhat interested. Or I could try to block out some of the grill vents to raise underhood temps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Keep in mind guys that it might indeed feel like it has more power. Here is how.

If you end up with a small, say 3 hp decrease in power until 3,000 rpm, then you gain back 2.5 of that horsepower suddenly at 4,000 rpm with a continued rise, back to stock power levels by 5,000 rpm then the car will have a progressively stronger pull as the rpms climb, unlike the stock setup which can in fact feel like a huge power increase.

It also is possible that this setup has actually gained power. Here is how.

In the U.S. our cars have a mass air flow(MAF) meter while in all other countries these cars use a manifold absolute pressure sensor(MAP sensor). When it comes to adding modifications to any cars, a MAF meter setup is more friendly and tends to give more power gains than a MAP sensor, with the stock tune. Sometimes a MAF meter can even deal with a small amount of boost if mounted pre-turbo. I MIGHT try some 0 to 50 mph runs with the car stock and a stop watch. Then pop open the air box and try it again just to see if there is any difference.

The only true way to tell how much more power the car is making though is to put it on the dyno.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

wilbur (04-29-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just bought a 2017 Mirage G4 sedan from a co-worker. It's not usually my cup of tea but I bought it for $6K and it only had 45K miles on it. I love the MPG but the power is pretty bad lol. I seen the set up you did and it's impressive and cost effective from what I've read. Would this same modification work on my 2017? It has the 1.3L 3 cylinder. I think it's only making around 78hp. I'd really like to get a little more power out of it without breaking the bank lol. I noticed this thread is around 3 years old. So I hope to hear back from you. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdafender View Post
    I just bought a 2017 Mirage G4 sedan from a co-worker. It's not usually my cup of tea but I bought it for $6K and it only had 45K miles on it. I love the MPG but the power is pretty bad lol. I seen the set up you did and it's impressive and cost effective from what I've read. Would this same modification work on my 2017? It has the 1.3L 3 cylinder. I think it's only making around 78hp. I'd really like to get a little more power out of it without breaking the bank lol. I noticed this thread is around 3 years old. So I hope to hear back from you. Thanks!
    Welcome to the Mirage forum!

In today's market, you got a good deal on your G4 (provided it wasn't neglected).

I wouldn't hold my breath for a response. My math tells me this thread is almost 9 years old, and the person who started it hasn't posted anything on the forum since December of 2014. He must have bought a Corvette or something shortly after starting this thread.

I would embrace the G4 for what it is. Affordable, reliable, & economical transportation. I'm not sure why people get so stuck on horsepower? I've owned 3 vehicles in the past with less horsepower than my 2017 Mirage. I don't find myself using A/C much, & that helps some, too.