Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Power, Better Mileage, Faster Acceleration

Country
    United States
    Thanks

More Power, Better Mileage, Faster Acceleration

My '15 Mirage is a month old. I have done two modifications to help increase power, mileage and acceleration. First, I changed the restrictive stock muffler with a free-flow MagnaFlow. This did NOT increase interior noise but let the exhaust get out without taking power to PUSH it out. Significant power increase. Secondly, I modified the restrictive stock airbox so it could be directly connected to a K&N and a 5" polished Stainless Steel spacer to get the air filter AWAY from the radiator and the hot air coming through it. Now it is off to the side and brings cool air into the engine. Again, this if Free-Flow so mileage, power and acceleration are all DRAMATICALLY improved. What will mileage be? Not sure, but I don't have to depress the accelerator hardly at all now to get the vehicle moving fast quickly. That will translate into better mileage. See how clean this set up is with attached picture. The Mass Air flow is connected, so the engine computer system remains happy. It just has access to more and cooler air than before. I'm thinking about posting this as a kit for sale on eBay for a bolt on improvement for the new Mirage.
    What do you think?
    Enjoy the pictures.
    Dave

Attached Images Attached Images   

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice work. Did you carve the MAF sensor housing out of the OEM air box then?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Exactly right. It was easy to do with a Dremmel and some patience. I cannot describe the difference in power only to say I'm no longer worried pulling out into traffic. I get to 70+mph as quick as any other car. This thing moves!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any sound clip of the exhaust?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like your style, Mini-Trail. Did you document your mpgs before this mod? Would you set up a fuel economy log so the other mpg lovers on this site can watch your car's performance?

Are you able to monitor intake air temps, to see how much cooler your new intake is?

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My problem is that I didn't give the car a chance to break in at all. Reading other posts, it seems like once the car gets 10k miles on it the mileage gets better. I'm impatient by nature, and was not about to wait to document the before & after like I really should. I build drag race engines as a hobby and know so well what just changing an intake and exhaust can do. My analogy is like a marathon runner or sprinter putting a mask on that restricts breathing and telling them to run...just doesn't work. To me, it had to be done immediately. The exhaust muffler gives a deeper sound, but absolutely zero cab drone at any speed. Actually, I wanted a little more noise out of it, but it is really quiet. Great for the stereo, so I'm not complaining. I don't believe either modification I did would be enough without the other. If you free up the intake and let air in, that used air needs to get out just as freely, so one without the other is only half the solution. Now it runs great. What I could do is take 0-30, 0-50 and 0-70 mph times and post them with a GPS for accuracy and then other owners could test their equipment to see how it compares. Any interest in me doing that ???

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The stock airbox does not suck in hot air from the radiator. Our radiators are offset to the drivers side, and the stock airbox has a snout to pull in cool air. This aftermarket setup here will pull in more hot air than the stock setup.

Also, the mass airflow sensor itself is the smallest section of piping on the intake. That would be the most restrictive part. Additionally I would bet you are restricting airflow by using that tiny little air filter on the end. Our OEM air filters have a much larger surface area to allow for airflow than that tiny little round filter on the end you've installed.

In the end, this is a tiny 3 cylinder engine. Being so small in displacement, "bolt on" modifications will make a tiny difference in actual power. Your intake modification I'm betting will have reduced power in the higher RPM's. The muffler may have increased Horsepower, but eliminating some back pressure may have also reduced torque.

There's no way to know for sure without a dyno test before and after. Until I see one I am going to disagree that these modifications made any real improvement.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ahintofpepperjack For This Useful Post:

MysticMirage (11-29-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wanna race?
    Obviously, you are some Eggbert that doesn't understand flow. I didn't even comment about the temperature of the air that the stock air box sucks in. I just know that that tiny little opening facing forward it all there is. The K&N technology is not up for debate. These filters flow much more than the stock air box because they are 360 degrees of air intake. Our statements are correct about the muffler. What we did to ensure no loss of torque is use the stock tail pipe back down to it's normal size. The muffler is less restrictive which makes the difference. The stock air box is a huge plastic area with compartments for initial acceleration, but nonetheless is restrictive. I notice a HUGE difference in power with these two modifications, and frankly don't give a darn what you think or say about it. I'll be willing to bet that the car delivers SUBSTANTIALLY more mileage when broken in compared to a stock restrictive setup (if I can keep my foot off the pedal). I just love the sound of the intake and the minimal amount I need to push on the pedal to feel results. I'll bet your is completely stock and you live to bash people who try new things. Get a life.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Trail70 View Post
    I didn't even comment about the temperature of the air that the stock air box sucks in.

Secondly, I modified the restrictive stock airbox so it could be directly connected to a K&N and a 5" polished Stainless Steel spacer to get the air filter AWAY from the radiator and the hot air coming through it. Now it is off to the side and brings cool air into the engine.
    I notice a HUGE difference in power with these two modifications, and frankly don't give a darn what you think or say about it. I'll be willing to bet that the car delivers SUBSTANTIALLY more mileage when broken in compared to a stock restrictive setup (if I can keep my foot off the pedal).
    It may deliver more power (although I highly doubt substantially more) I just need to see a dyno to believe it. The only thing you have to go after is how you think it "feels".

I'll bet your is completely stock and you live to bash people who try new things.
    I'm not trying to bash you, I just don't think these modifications will make much of a difference and for most people I don't think it's worth the expense.

Also my car is not stock. I have H&R springs, shorty antenna, and a center console armrest. And I'm loving it!

Get a life.
    Insults really aren't necessary. Hopefully you don't interact with people like this in real life.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ahintofpepperjack For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (06-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You are correct, I don't have a dyno result for the performance improvements other than how it feels. My main complaint about the stock Mirage is the power. I'm not used to having so little of it. The cost for me to do these mods were: muffler installed professionally $210 (including muffler). Air box cover bought from Mitsubishi ($42), Stainless Steel tubing ($20), Polishing the S/S Tube ($20), 2 hose clamps & 2" boot at Napa Auto Parts ($25), K&N Filter ($75) and the Filterwear boot cover ($20) for a total of $412.00 + an hour of my labor. To recover that amount of $$ in increased gas mileage alone would be a lot of gas if it gets 3-5mpg better which is just a guess. I did it for the power because I'm really being straight with you that it made a big difference. This is one of those rare win-win kind of things that increases power and pays for itself with mileage. My motivations are different than some others. I bought the car for the mileage, and then set out to increase performance to what I would call a safer level to join traffic and get out of the way if necessary. I apologize to you for my response. I really thought you were bashing new ideas and I'm really happy and proud what I've done and will do to the car. Sorry I can be a jerk at times...just ask my wife. Thanks and happy holidays.
    Dave