Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
Ok I did not know short trips in cold climate can do that! Makes sense now.

About the 15K mile oil changes and the technical university with their 100k km oil change,you can have that!

As long as I don't have to work on your engine when the caked on crud that clogged up the fine filters in say cam actuator solenoids or oil passages ended up in a broken timing chain or other catastophic failure.

Now you're saving the environment!
Seen that a lot! Not on a mirage though....yet!

People around here do not check their oil between oil changes because the car never told them to do so!

Maybe in Europe it's different and people actually keep an eye on things better than here.

Sorry but I will just go ahead and buy 3 quarts of oil and a filter for 32 US dollars a few thousand miles early and change the oil when I think it's time.
OK I did not know that in the USA people do not check their oil level. But if you do, 20.000 km is what Mitsubishi prescribes for the Mirage. And I maintain that 20.000 km is on the very, very safe side. Of course Mitsubishi does not want warranty claims or a bad name. 20.000 should also do for people who drive very short distances. When used normally, the oil life is almost limitless (not the oil filter!). So, if you want to throw good money after bad, please go ahead, but it is not necessary.