Page 79 of 210 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap used Mirages you've seen for sale?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Just found a basically new 17' es plus(4 pw,pl,keyless entry,ac,blue tooth)with 7000kms(4350miles) for $11000cad(8100usd). Warranty is fully transferable here. Just looked at it and it's legit. It's undercoated, has remote start and has the extra set of supplied winter tires that mitsu sometimes throws in.
    It's a little bit of a challenge to compare a good deal (Canada vs. U.S), because power widows/locks, keyless entry, & A/C were standard items on all 2017 Mirages here. Bluetooth & center armrest were added to my Mirage as extras. An extra set of snow tires and remote start are obvious add on items that do add a little value to the deal listed above by Fummins.

In the Midwest, these cars could be had for $9500 for most of the 2017 summer. Anyone could get them for that price. If you qualified as a Mitsubishi owner or veteran, you could have gotten these cars for even less. If someone paid more than $10,000 for base level Mirage (Midwest area) in 2017, they really didn't shop that hard. Even with the few extras added on my car from the factory ($14,220 window sticker), I was able to pick up a new car for $9299 in October of 2017. I didn't negotiate that price. I just bought the car from a dealer that was selling them for that price.

Dealers make larger profits on new cars when you finance with them, accept extended warranties, & buy all sorts of add on items. Throw a trade into the mix, & that usually works in their favor, too.

Cars are not investments! Buying a new car is like throwing money out the window.

The average new cars costs approximately $35,000. At signing, you lose approximately $4000 (11% is considered the average loss @ signing). Your $35,000 car is worth $31,000 before you even leave the dealership. One year later that car is worth $26,000 ($9000 total loss). Three years later, that same car is worth $19,000 ($16,000 loss). If you took out a 60 month loan, 5 years later that car is worth $13,000 ($22,000 loss). I am not factoring in money paid in interest either.

I paid $9299 for a brand new Mirage in 2017. If a used one for $8,100 seems like a great deal a year & half later, how much has my car depreciated? Quite frankly, some used 2017 Mirages are listed higher than what I paid. When I became serious about a Mirage, I set my limit @ $10,000 for one (new or used). That's the personal value I placed on the car, & I wouldn't pay more than that for one. Originally, I was going to wait for a used 2017 Mirage like the one listed above. Instead I bought a discounted new one. I paid it off asap, & now I just plan on driving the thing.

Some complain about the depreciation of the Mirage, but I plan on driving this car 10+ years. Even if i drive it for 20 years, the most it can depreciate is $9299. Some vehicles depreciate that much in one year, & that is why I bought/drive a Mirage. It's cheap (affordable), reliable (good warranty), and economical (with a simple design). I don't envy people who drive more expensive vehicles, because cars can be a HUGE waste of money.

Last edited by Mark; 05-17-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    In the Midwest, these cars could be had for $9500 for most of the 2017 summer. Anyone could get them for that price. If you qualified as a Mitsubishi owner or veteran, you could have gotten these cars for even less. If someone paid more than $10,000 for base level Mirage (Midwest area) in 2017, they really didn't shop that hard.
    Not everyone is, was, or will be able to get that price on a new Mirage. It sounds like both bragging and an insult? Besides, I thought you went out of state to get yours? I don't think everyone will be able to do that.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not everyone is, was, or will be able to get that price on a new Mirage. It comes across to me as an insult. Didn't you go out of state to get yours?
    They were never that cheap here in the PNW, and the Port of Tacoma is where a lot of them come in. I also don't see how Mitsubishi's own "fire sale" pricing or factory-to-dealer incentives on these cars two or three years ago are relevant to what a reasonable deal on one might be in the middle of 2019.

When my ex-girlfriend bought our local dealership's leftover 2014 'loss leader' car in early 2015 they seemed ready to let her walk out when she balked at paying the $150 Dealer Doc Fee.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 05-17-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not everyone is, was, or will be able to get that price on a new Mirage. It sounds like both bragging and an insult? Besides, I thought you went out of state to get yours? I don't think everyone will be able to do that.
    They were $9500 during the summer of 2017. It's the main reason the Mirage caught my attention, and when I inquired about it I realized I could get a new one for that price. Even then I waited until October I found that deal. When I called the dealership, they were out of them. They went and got one for me from another dealership at that price.

Yes, I bought out of state, but they delivered the car to my driveway. We did the paperwork on my kitchen table. I never once visited the dealership I purchased the car from. I get where some aren't willing to do that.

If I offended some, I am sorry. My point was these cars were going for less than $10,000 in some areas. Thus, $8100 for a used 2017 seems appropriate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-17-2019)

Didn't hurt my feelings. I don't have any. If I buy a Mirage it'll be a used and abused one. I like my cars like I like my ............ never mind.

I'd love to buy a car from my house. Dealing with 3 different greasy people with fake smiles at the dealership gets annoying pretty fast. You got the high pressure salesman/woman/transvestite/whatever, then there were 2 other randoms along the way as well, then gotta deal with a finance department even if you're not financing. While that's not the case for all, it's pretty typical around here unless you're dealing with new fleet sales or found a decent dealer.

I used to think people driving new loaded vehicles were retards too and would feel smug cause my junk cost less to buy,fill up and fix. But I plan to get one so I'll take a tongue lashing lol. If we were a lower single income household I'd never consider the idea though. I'd probably get made fun of for having such an unnecessarily large house when one 1/2 the size would do just fine. Living comfortably isn't always a bad thing if you can afford to and have a decent retirement plan. I've got a friend who bought a new loaded truck, suv, travel trailer,house,and a semi. All new, all financed, all within a 2 year span. By year 4 he had no work and lost it all but kept a lot of the debt.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Didn't hurt my feelings. I don't have any. If I buy a Mirage it'll be a used and abused one. I like my cars like I like my ............ never mind.

I'd love to buy a car from my house. Dealing with 3 different greasy people with fake smiles at the dealership gets annoying pretty fast. You got the high pressure salesman/woman/transvestite/whatever, then there were 2 other randoms along the way as well, then gotta deal with a finance department even if you're not financing. While that's not the case for all, it's pretty typical around here unless you're dealing with new fleet sales or found a decent dealer.

I used to think people driving new loaded vehicles were retards too and would feel smug cause my junk cost less to buy,fill up and fix. But I plan to get one so I'll take a tongue lashing lol. If we were a lower single income household I'd never consider the idea though. I'd probably get made fun of for having such an unnecessarily large house when one 1/2 the size would do just fine. Living comfortably isn't always a bad thing if you can afford to and have a decent retirement plan. I've got a friend who bought a new loaded truck, suv, travel trailer,house,and a semi. All new, all financed, all within a 2 year span. By year 4 he had no work and lost it all but kept a lot of the debt.
    Thats a big issue here in the States, millennials living beyond their means. I work with alot of kids in their early 20's who know a massive amount about Gender Studies and Master degrees in being offended but things like financing a car that they really cant afford or paying bills on time isnt really taught at whatever liberal arts college they went to.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-17-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    They were never that cheap here in the PNW, and the Port of Tacoma is where a lot of them come in. I also don't see how Mitsubishi's own "fire sale" pricing or factory-to-dealer incentives on these cars two or three years ago are relevant to what a reasonable deal on one might be in the middle of 2019.

When my ex-girlfriend bought our local dealership's leftover 2014 'loss leader' car in early 2015 they seemed ready to let her walk out when she balked at paying the $150 Dealer Doc Fee.
    Couples who Mirage together, stay together bro! lol kiddin
    Heres my fiancee in my hatch next to her G4.Name:  20190306_174540.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  94.2 KB

Here's one for you Metro . It keeps getting cheaper! https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

I'll try not to derail this thread any further, but yeah dirk, same thing happens out here too. Probably more so a few years ago when the oil field was going strong. It's died down a lot over the last few years and a lot of people moved back home out east.
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-17-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Derp
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Found one for you Metro https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

I'll try not to derail this thread any further, but yeah dirk, same thing happens out here too. Probably more so a few years ago when the oil field was going strong. It's died down a lot over the last few years and a lot of people moved back home out east.
    Im a habitual thread derailer lol. Cant help it, too many interesting personalities on here and itd be a waste of intellect if we didnt throw caveats in about life every blue moon or so. I noticed that ad you put up was in French? You speak French too Fummins? How many Canadians speak both English and French? I thought the English defeated the French during the French Indian wars kicking most of them out? Thats why the Acadian French or Cajuns came to Louisiana.

Here's one for you Metro . It keeps getting cheaper! https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
    I should have bought that kermit green one in Ottawa -- same price, 100k fewer kms! It was a scratch 'n' dent special, though. And needed summer tires.

One will come up sooner or later and I'll snag it. My winter beater Metro is ... tolerable? For now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)