Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Little Old Lady" Mirages with super low km/miles ... would you buy one?

"Little Old Lady" Mirages with super low km/miles ... would you buy one?

I'm starting this thread to post the amazing "survivor" Mirages that are starting to appear.

By that I mean decade-old Mirages coming up for sale with super, super low kilometers / miles.

This is the type of car a cost-conscious retiree would have bought new, and then driven very little.

(For example, my ~75 year-old next-door neighbour has a 2017 Civic with 19,000 km on it! 12k miles! He's on his third set of tires, because they keep drying out & cracking! )

Here's a one-owner (female) Mirage for sale I just spotted:

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 5.05.34 PM.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  103.1 KB

2015 Mirage 5-speed with 24k km = 15k miles. $11k CAD asking price.

Looks well cared for: rust-proofed, 2 sets of wheels/tires...

Manual Transmission Electric Windows Anti-rust Remote Starter 4 mags with summer tires 4 studded winter tires mounted on rims. only one owner (Female)
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1572041926095/

If my experience watching for used Metros/Fireflies/Swifts is any indication, we're in for about another 10 years worth of survivor Mirages coming up for sale fairly regularly.

Would you pull the trigger on a like-new 2014 Mirage for $11k??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-24-2024),Grumpy Bear (03-24-2024),inuvik (03-23-2024),Top_Fuel (03-24-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If I needed a Mirage, I would pull the trigger on that type of Mirage over anything else. $11,000 CAD = $8073 USD for a 15,000 mile 5-speed manual Mirage that looks in excellent shape for $9,000-10,000 less than a new one. To me that's a no-brainer, especially if you're just looking for an affordable daily driver.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I can't say I have (an old) ultra-low mileage Mirage today, but you could ask me again in about 10 years... I plan to have a 23' Ralliart with sub 1000 miles (and I hope honestly under 250 miles at that point). I do have some practice with a '15 Lancer ES which currently sits at 2900 miles. I can tell you I've made tons of mistakes, its almost impossible to keep a car low mileage (that low mileage) unless you literally set it up on blocks and forget about it. The tiniest little drive or 'i'll take it out for spin' adds so many miles so darn quickly, its almost unbelievable... and i'm telling you from experience. Most of the milege came in 2022 when all my other vehicles broke down, and had to pull it out, at the point it was about 900 miles. Every year I empty the gas tank every year, run a little bit of new gas thru the lines, change the other fluids about every 2 or 3 years (oil,brake,power steering,antifreeze, trans). And keep a darn car cover on it... every time you see these news articles about a car that sits for 20 or 30 years they all look like 'crap' because its exposed to the elements, even if its just dust ect in a garage.
    Last edited by Tommyptr; 03-24-2024 at 12:24 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommyptr For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (03-24-2024),MetroMPG (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyptr View Post
    I can't say I have (an old) ultra-low mileage Mirage today, but you could ask me again in about 10 years... I plan to have a 23' Ralliart with sub 1000 miles (and I hope honestly under 250 miles at that point). I do have some practice with a '15 Lancer ES which currently sits at 2900 miles. I can tell you I've made tons of mistakes, its almost impossible to keep a car low mileage (that low mileage) unless you literally set it up on blocks and forget about it. The tiniest little drive or 'i'll take it out for spin' adds so many miles so darn quickly, its almost unbelievable... and i'm telling you from experience. Most of the milege came in 2022 when all my other vehicles broke down, and had to pull it out, at the point it was about 900 miles. Every year I empty the gas tank every year, run a little bit of new gas thru the lines, change the other fluids about every 2 or 3 years (oil,brake,power steering,antifreeze, trans). And keep a darn car cover on it... every time you see these news articles about a car that sits for 20 or 30 years they all look like 'crap' because its exposed to the elements, even if its just dust ect in a garage.
    I bought a 2017 Mirage ES manual for $9,299 brand new for the opposite reason. I want to use my Mirage whenever possible. It's the reason for owning an affordable, reliable, economy car in my opinion. Approximately, 90% of my annual mileage goes on my Mirage, & my 2011 Forester makes up the other 10%. If my Forester comes out, it's for a reason. Bad winter roads, tugging my trailer, or hauling a large load that wouldn't fit in my Mirage.

I hope to go 15+ years with this combination of vehicles. 15+ years of no vehicle purchases or payments of any sort! AWD vehicles have become more expensive to replace, & I don't need one all of the time. Having said that, I wouldn't live where I do without one vehicle that has AWD or 4WD.

Whether my Mirage has 200,000 miles or 400,000 miles 20 years from now, I could care less. I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but I have a sort of guilt free feeling when I drive my Mirage. The car can't depreciate any more than I paid for it. It's quite fuel efficient, which makes it easier on the pocket book & the environment. I expect it to last a long time with very few major repairs. No fear of having to replace battery packs some day!

I drive a vehicle like the Mirage to save wear & tear on a nicer vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I wouldn't own a vehicle that I wanted to keep the miles off. However, having said that, I have 2010 Lexus LS 460L with 60k miles on it that just sits in the garage. It is exactly because what Mark says. I feel guilty driving such a luxury vehicle, but I feel totally guilt free driving the Mirage. I should sell the Lexus. But what holds me back is that, I just know that as soon as I sell it, one of my vehicles will be crashed, blown up, stolen or broke down. And I'll let that family member drive the Mirage, and I'll fall back into the Lexus (and love it, but will feel guilty).

But Tommy - I whole heartedly am down with anyone else who wants to keep the miles off their car. Because, when you come down and think of it, they are AMAZING pieces of art. They are both AMAZING that they work as well as they do, and ART because how attractive they look and they all vary from each other (except Hyundai's ... I swear the Koreans think, "Let's make it an Audi in the front and an Accord in the back).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I bought a "llittle old lady car" 19 years ago (1998 Firefly / Metro with hardly any miles on it).

Back then it cost me $4500 - about $6700 in today's money - and it's the most expensive car I've ever bought.

I had a good experience though - and the car was NOT stored properly. It sat unused in a garage for 7 or 8 years. Amazingly, it started & ran fine on the old gas (which I drained ASAP).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I bought a "llittle old lady car" 19 years ago (1998 Firefly / Metro with hardly any miles on it).

Back then it cost me $4500 - about $6700 in today's money - and it's the most expensive car I've ever bought.

I had a good experience though - and the car was NOT stored properly. It sat unused in a garage for 7 or 8 years. Amazingly, it started & ran fine on the old gas (which I drained ASAP).
    I hope some "little old lady" is driving my future Mirage. A low mileage, orange color, 2019 ES manual about 15 years from now would be about perfect! What are my odds of finding that?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I hope some "little old lady" is driving my future Mirage. A low mileage, orange color, 2019 ES manual about 15 years from now would be about perfect! What are my odds of finding that?
    https://www.carmax.com/car/25270924?...um=AppShareiOS

Not exactly as you wanted but darn close!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to defensivetackle99 For This Useful Post:

Mark (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle99 View Post
    https://www.carmax.com/car/25270924?...um=AppShareiOS

Not exactly as you wanted but darn close!
    Gahhh that is literally the perfect spec...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I own two of this type of vehicle. Both have been absolute gems. About 10 years ago I bought an Estate sale car. A retired female schoolteacher passed. Had about 38KI miles on the clock. Just turned over 50K. Trip car. 2009 Buick LaCrosse CXL. Then 8 years ago I bought my current summer daily driver. 2015 Silverado 1500 RCSB V6. It had 1K on the clock. An older gent bought it and garaged it. Lost his license and sold it back to the dealership. They were sending to auction when I stumbled upon it sitting on a transport. I made an offer they accepted and that was 177K miles ago. Flawless in its reliability.