Page 88 of 210 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap used Mirages you've seen for sale?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    When a piston cracked in my last car (a Chevy Cruze) and it needed a new engine, I put it on Cragislist for $1,500 with full disclosure of the problem. About 15 minutes later, I had the cash and no more broken car.
    Sure. The person who bought it installed a $500 replacement engine over a weekend, and sold it for $4,000 that Tuesday afternoon! I used to do this all the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Creditors are out to make money. Improving society isn't probably a big concern for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet
    Banks are not in the 'Mother Teresa' business, giving alms to the poor.
    Exactly!

Regardless of how good or bad a interest rate is: it is still money thrown at the bank(down the drain). I grew up lower middle class, you know decent life no money worries necessarily but extra money wasn't really a thing either. Thinking of all the money my parents(and most people) throw away as interest is sad. So I've gone out of my way to make sure I can avoid loans. For being 24 I think I'm well off and sitting pretty. Like yeah my house isn't the greatest but it is mine .

I only use a credit card since it gives me 1% back on my purchases. But living with the privilege of using bank owned assets while paying more in the long run... I'm too cheap for that!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Banks are not in the 'Mother Teresa' business, giving alms to the poor. You are right, it is all about risk. Sometimes it is a Hard-Luck Charlie situation, but in the vast majority of cases such people wound up in jail and/or with bad credit scores for a reason.

They are irresponsible. They make poor choices.

Back in the day, a regular bank wouldn't finance them at ANY interest rate. The fact that they are being offered any credit right out of jail with a 505 credit score and a job they started two weeks ago is something I believe they might want to be...thankful for?

"If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band. If you wanna borrow, you gotta pay the man." ---Rocky Balboa
    Yes people, primarily young people, can be irresponsible and make bad choices I'd be fool to argue that. My concern is that they have to keep on paying for it and paying for it and paying for it. It leads to hopelessness, then to desperation, then back to crime, burdening society. We are too quick to close doors in this society in my opinion. I believe in second chances, institutions like banks, employment, and lol car dealerships don't. The divide between the rich and poor is growing exponentially and what do you think that will lead to? Scary to think about. Im not making excuses for poor choices, Ive made a few myself. I just feel making it almost impossible for struggling Americans to get their lives back together goes against society best interest. Need a cheap used car to get to work? Sure, but the interest is 25%. Need a job that pays enough to have a simple decent life? Nah, your an ex-con, thats only worth $10 an hour and by the way your not getting that job in the first place. Need healthcare? Sure, you can come into the ER anytime, we'll charge a 300% markup on all the services we perform on you and then force you to declare bankruptcy because you cant afford to pay that $8k MRI (Ive seen this personally working in a hospital). Im not excusing laziness or constant criminal behavior, if your not trying or making the best of that second chance you get, then I have no sympathy for you. Problem is, there's hardly any second chances left for many. Now Im not a completely head in the clouds bleeding heart liberal lol, I realize there can never be a perfectly balanced utopic society. But goshdarnit, if you keep people in cages, dont be surprised when they act like animals. Lol Im just glad Ill be long dead when the do do really hits the fan here. Once again sorry for the rant. Im going to go burn down a used car dealership lot now (kidding).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yes people, primarily young people, can be irresponsible and make bad choices I'd be fool to argue that. My concern is that they have to keep on paying for it and paying for it and paying for it. It leads to hopelessness, then to desperation, then back to crime, burdening society. We are too quick to close doors in this society in my opinion. I believe in second chances, institutions like banks, employment, and lol car dealerships don't. The divide between the rich and poor is growing exponentially and what do you think that will lead to? Scary to think about. Im not making excuses for poor choices, Ive made a few myself. I just feel making it almost impossible for struggling Americans to get their lives back together goes against society best interest. Need a cheap used car to get to work? Sure, but the interest is 25%. Need a job that pays enough to have a simple decent life? Nah, your an ex-con, thats only worth $10 an hour and by the way your not getting that job in the first place. Need healthcare? Sure, you can come into the ER anytime, we'll charge a 300% markup on all the services we perform on you and then force you to declare bankruptcy because you cant afford to pay that $8k MRI (Ive seen this personally working in a hospital). Im not excusing laziness or constant criminal behavior, if your not trying or making the best of that second chance you get, then I have no sympathy for you. Problem is, there's hardly any second chances left for many. Now Im not a completely head in the clouds bleeding heart liberal lol, I realize there can never be a perfectly balanced utopic society. But goshdarnit, if you keep people in cages, dont be surprised when they act like animals. Lol Im just glad Ill be long dead when the do do really hits the fan here. Once again sorry for the rant. Im going to go burn down a used car dealership lot now (kidding).
    People do get stuck in a vicious circle. I have seen that many times. My guess is everyone has made bad/wrong choices, too. That's part of life!

As far as vehicles go, I've probably been more guilty of selling a vehicle that I should have kept longer. Convinced myself I needed something better, but probably didn't.

On a positive note, there are ways to built your credit score back up. A person doesn't have to stay stuck with a bad credit score. I have a good friend who has a bad credit score. She filed bankruptcy in the past year. Even though her bankruptcy gave her a clean slate, her ability to get a loan is tough. Personally, I don't see this as totally bad. It has slowed down her ability to go back into debt. Even with that, I see her heading down this slippery slope again. For example, this person recently saw the new Jeep Gladiator. It's her dream vehicle, & she told me she gonna do whatever it takes to get it. This same person hasn't held a full time job in the past 10 years. I teach full time, coach both girls & boys middle school basketball, & I do btw driving lessons part-time. Yet I drive a Mirage, because I don't want to rack up useless miles on my 2011 Subaru Forester. Both vehicles do what I need them to do, & they are paid for. I am working on being content with what I have! It still fun to look at new stuff, however!

My friend is the one that should be considering a Mirage because of her finances & old car she's presently driving. Instead, she's dreaming about getting a new Jeep Gladiator. I am sort of glad that she struggles with getting a car loan!

Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    I've gone out of my way to make sure I can avoid loans. For being 24 I think I'm well off and sitting pretty. Like yeah my house isn't the greatest but it is mine .
    If I'm reading that you're debt-free at 24 and own your own home, well.... congrats!

I know a few people making $100k+ a year who live on debt, going paycheque to paycheque with no leftover cash at the end of the month and no emergency savings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-05-2019),MacClyver (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    If I'm reading that you're debt-free at 24 and own your own home, well.... congrats!
    I thought the same thing! Very impressive!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Sure. The person who bought it installed a $500 replacement engine over a weekend, and sold it for $4,000 that Tuesday afternoon! I used to do this all the time.
    I got many calls/texts from those people in the brief time the ad was up, but the couple I sold it to, I'm pretty sure were buying it to keep. The husband had a cousin who replaced the engine for way cheaper than any of the mechanics I'd gotten quotes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I thought the same thing! Very impressive!
    Agreed, even if it's just a $40k teardown that's more than I had at that age. All I had was was a bag of empty beer cans, and half a dozen old cars and trucks.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (07-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    MetroMPG, Mark and Fummins: Thanks! It's been 11 months now, and my parents moved 3 months after me(kinda the reason I had to move out myself)

Here's a pic from when I first saw it at the showing, which I went to en route to the first Midwest Mirage Meet. Not quite teardown bad Fummins, but you nearly nailed the price, 37K.

There's nothing wrong with that. Better than a mobile home I think.
    Damn you're lucky houses are that cheap out there. My place was 9x that taking into account the exchange rate. I'm guessing interest rates must be considerably higher out there compared to here.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)