Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Install a Rear Camera on Mirage / Space Star

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the write up. I'll be putting my Clarion back up camera that was on my F-150 this weekend. Will be running the long camera cable up thru the panels etc to the head unit and fuse panel.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Is it possible to just replace the camera alone? I mean to cut the old camera and replace with a new one without rewiring the whole thing? Yes, I am lazy and my reverse camera is bad already with discoloration most of the time. Or the problem has to do with old worn wiring?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyClown View Post
    Is it possible to just replace the camera alone? I mean to cut the old camera and replace with a new one without rewiring the whole thing? Yes, I am lazy and my reverse camera is bad already with discoloration most of the time. Or the problem has to do with old worn wiring?
    Have you tried cleaning the camera lens? Some cleaners remove lens coating(s), which affects how the camera presents colors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I understand rear cameras may be mandatory in some areas.

Instead of a rear camera, I installed a rear park distance beeper. It has four sensors in the rear cladding "bumper" and gets 12Volts from the reversing light. The entire unit is all in one place and was only about half an hour to install.
    The cost was €/US$ 10,- including freight.
    I rather have a beeper and look backwards to see where I am driving instead of looking at a screen without seeing the rear.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-28-2023)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Have you tried cleaning the camera lens? Some cleaners remove lens coating(s), which affects how the camera presents colors.
    I just clean it with a wet microfiber and maybe sometimes with a car shampoo while washing. Sometimes the video is very yellow like some sort of filter is applied but worse since if its sunny outside the glare is unbearable and it is nearly useless.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I understand rear cameras may be mandatory in some areas.

Instead of a rear camera, I installed a rear park distance beeper. It has four sensors in the rear cladding "bumper" and gets 12Volts from the reversing light. The entire unit is all in one place and was only about half an hour to install.
    The cost was €/US$ 10,- including freight.
    I rather have a beeper and look backwards to see where I am driving instead of looking at a screen without seeing the rear.
    Hello foama! I read your write up about the parking sensor. Could you help me out with this kind of sensor: https://shopee.ph/product/623818443/...1?gad_source=1

If you can see it, ignore the video since it has a different product but base on reviews the item will be the same as the picture which has no led-indicator, only a speaker, 4 sensors, and the wire for the power. My question is how do I tap the wires? It is red and black. Do I tap the red to the reverse light and how about the black one?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    @ BarneyClown

HOW TO INSTALL PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (Beeper without camera)

The system consists of :
    * Four sensors with cables
    * A hole saw for dilling the sensor holes
    * A connecting box with electronics inside
    * The actual beeper-speaker with cable
    * a cable for electrical supply voltage (+12V, ground)
    * self-adhesive on connecting box and beeper speaker
    * cable ties

Installation is rather easy, but do read the instructions that came with it! How I did it:

Mark the position for the holes for the sensors. They should be similar distance from each other. All four on mine are 61cm above ground. The outer sensors being exactly vertical below the blinker light bulbs. NB: If they were lower than about 50cm from ground, they would always see ground and beep constantly regardless! They need that minimum distance from the ground.
    Check your bumper before drilling the holes, because bumpers have seen design variations depending on model year. Stay away from the metal inlay of the bumper with the sensor positions, because you don't want to drill into the inlay.

It might be easier to remove the plastic of the bumper for better access. Take you time with any clips, because they should be reused and not damaged.

Remove the right rear tail light assy for access.-> two screws plus one clip, use no force whatsoever here, so nothing breaks! There is a clip, be careful!

Open the trunk and remove the middle cladding above the bumper. Take out the trunk carpet. Remove right hand side inside grey cladding (clips!). The connector box with electronics can fit into the corner under cladding near right rear light. When you have the correct position, tape it there with the supplied double-sided tape.

Put the sensors in their holes. Use cable-ties to tidy things up, and lead the cables toward the right corner. You will need to drill a hole for the cables to enter. Don't use the grommet of the tail light for this. Put the cables coming from the sensors into their jacks of the connection box. Tidy up. Seal the hole with acrylic puttey or similar.
    Put bumper cover back on.
    Find a place for the beeper-speaker and tape it in position. Connect speaker cable to the box.
    Locate the +12V cable for the reversing light, ( violet?) and connect it to the red wire. Connect the black wire to ground/ chassis = black wire of the rear light cable assy. Connect the plug of red/black cable to the socket on the connector box.
    Finished!
    With the ignition on, put the car into reverse. The beeper should beep once to confirm it is operating. It will start beping as objects are seen in the vicinity. The louder and quicker it beeps, the closer objects are.

Have fun doing it, of course "all at you own risk". The above describes how I did it in 2014, and they still work today.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BarneyClown (11-30-2023)