Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Tire advice needed ASAP! (Hard to find replacement for OEM Enasave 165/65r14)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Tire shops around me dont have any 165 65 r14 except for really expensive Bridgestones or Dunlops. I heard the 175 fit great on a 14" wheel and offers alot more choices for cheaper prices. I read the bigger tire only affects the mph by like a margin on 1mph or 2. Seems like a good idea from previous posts on here?
    You can order these now and have them installed by the tire shop of your choice. More than I paid when they were on sale, but within your budget. Or you can wait for them to be on sale. I usually buy tires before I need them and just keep them in the garage.

While 175/65-14s are certainly going to be easier to find it isn't too hard to find the correct size on the web at a reasonable cost.

Nowadays you won't be limited to the expensive OEM "Ena-slaves" or Potenzas like we were a few years ago.

https://simpletire.com/federal-165-65r14-126g4atd-tires

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark, thanks for the link to the reasonably priced new 14" steel rims. Since winter is a long time from now, I might just keep an eye out for a set of decent used 14" steels on craigslist and at local junkyards. Then something like those Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 (Non-Studded) 155/70R14s might be the ideal winter tire.

I beginning to wonder if my Scion alloy rims are actually somewhat wider than the stock Scion XA steel wheels, not too wide for the 185/60R15 Scion stock tire size, but maybe too wide for narrower tire sizes I might want to use on a Mirage if I were to put 15" rims on it. If so, I'll just clean up the alloy rims and sell them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I have some alloy wheels from my 2006 Scion XA that I recently traded in on its original steelies. Their bolt pattern is 4x100. They are 15" diameter, so would need tires of an outer diameter that's Mirage compatible, if I wanted to use them for a set of winter tires. I think the width is about 5.5". I'm not sure about offset, etc. Anybody ever tried that vintage Scion rims on a Mirage?
    The tire diameter would be the least of your worries, fellow Mirage forum member. My research suggests Toyota rims won't fit on our Mirages without modification, as their center bore is too small.

Wheels: What Else Fits the Mirage? (With photos) Post #5

The next post in that thread has more, so be sure to read through.

But it would be fun to prove this wrong. If you can get those Scion rims to fit, let us know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Can anyone suggest all season 175 65 r14 for under $75?
    Since you live in the south & snow is probably not a big issue, I would not rule out the Federal SS657 tires. Walmart had them as cheap as $41 not all that long ago, but they sold out. The price varies on them ($45-60). Thus, it's good to buy them on sale. The price on them fluctuates. My local hometown mechanic charges me $10 to mount & balance a tire. I usually hand him a $20 bill when he does a pair, and he doesn't even make out a slip for it. He's ok with me bringing in my own tires, too. Federal tires come in 165/65-14 size and they also offer a little more expensive 165/65-14 Formoza GIO (which may be a little more of a LRR tire). Buying the Federal tires for about a $50/tire is not a bad option. If I lived in the south & wanted to stick with factory size tires, these would be my tire of choice.

As far as 175/65-14 tires go, you need list your priorities in a tire. Price, traction, LRR, & mileage warranty all come into play.

Steve who has 240,000+ miles on his Mirage really endorses the 175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season Radial Tires. These tires come with a 80,000 mile tread wear warranty. Steve has been very impressed with these tires, & he has tried other brands on his Mirage. Today these tires are $44/tire online @ Walmart. Despite what anyones says, brand tires can be bought from anywhere. I have never bought Falken tires, but I have only heard positives reviews about them. Falken tires are made by Sumitomo Rubber Industries, which is huge tire company. If you don't believe me, look at the sidewall of a factory Dunlop tire & you will see that tire is made by Sumitomo Rubber Industries. Steve racks up the mileage on his Mirage, & I respect his opinion of these tires. A 80,000 mile tread wear tire for under $45 is quite amazing!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/175-65-14...Tires/51494282

In my area, Cooper tires are quite popular. Cooper is an America tire company that is not as well known as Goodyear. Goodyear & Cooper are really the only two America tire companies left. Cooper & their sister companies (Mastercraft & Starfire) tires are quite common here. Both small town mechanics and large discount stores carry Cooper (& related brand) tires. My Subaru has Cooper tires (both sets), & my driver's ed car (2015 Impala) has Cooper tires. Their all-season tires do quite well in snow, & that may explain their popularity here? Cooper snow tires are awesome!

Cooper has changed some of the tire offerings in recent years, but I have never been disappointed with any Cooper tire. A more affordable Evolution tire has come out recently. I was in a discount store (Blaine's Farm & Fleet) recently, & I checked out the new Cooper Evolution Tour tires. I liked what I saw in tread design. I see myself using these tires on my Forester eventually. I've been using a set of CS4 (replaced years ago by a CS5) tires for quite some time, & they have been excellent tires. Simpletire.com has the Cooper Evolution Tour listed for $52.97 today, & they have a 65,000 mile tread wear warranty. I like the tread design of these tires, because they do ok in light snow.

https://simpletire.com/cooper-p175-6...00032349-tires

As far as my Mirage goes, I see myself trying the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. I suspect these tires may offer an combination of good traction and some LRR characteristics. Living in the driftless region of Wisconsin (rural area with ridge roads), traction sort of trumps low price, tread wear, & LRR. If I decide to stick with separate snow tires & summer tires, I have no problem with the Federal SS657 tires. Federal also has a history of being a part of Sumitomo Rubber Industries in the past, but they created an identity for themselves through the race car scene.

Given where you live, you may not need the added traction that may be offered by the Vredestein Quatrac 5, & they are a little pricer, too. These tires are closer to $75/tire and tread wear is more like 40,000-45,000 miles.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I like General tires, too.

It's hard to argue against the Falken Sincera SN250 for $44/tire. If you read Steve's posts, he really praises these tires. Given Steve's @ 240,000+ miles on his Mirage, that's worth taking note of in my mind. I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-30-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The tire diameter would be the least of your worries, fellow Mirage forum member. My research suggests Toyota rims won't fit on our Mirages without modification, as their center bore is too small.

But it would be fun to prove this wrong. If you can get those Scion rims to fit, let us know.

The steel wheels that I bought from onlywheels.com come with 5 different hub bore sizes. Thus, you are probably right about the Toyota wheels NOT WORKING! I appreciate the correction, too!

I believe you want to select the hub (center) bore of 56.1. The Toyota wheels must be 54.1 center bore, which would be to small.

When I order these $50 steel rims, they directed you to the right ones for a Mirage. Thus, the bolt pattern, offset, and center bore were automatically selected for you. I had no problem mounting their rims on my Mirage.

It would stink to find out the Toyota rims don't work after mounting new tires and TPMS on them. You may have just made his decision to go with something else much easier!!!!!!
    Last edited by Mark; 03-30-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

I just put a ruler across the inside face of the center bore on those Scion alloy wheels and I get about 54mm. It 56.1 is the narrowest center bore that could be used with a 2015 Mirage, then the Scions are too small. If the Mirage wheels have a slightly oversize bore then, the Scions maybe....?

I like the charts in post #6 of the thread you linked, they seem to have all of the information. Earlier charts left out some details for some rims.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyPal View Post
    I just put a ruler across the inside face of the center bore on those Scion alloy wheels and I get about 54mm. It 56.1 is the narrowest center bore that could be used with a 2015 Mirage, then the Scions are too small. If the Mirage wheels have a slightly oversize bore then, the Scions maybe....?

I like the charts in post #6 of the thread you linked, they seem to have all of the information. Earlier charts left out some details for some rims.
    The extra steel wheels I bought from onlywheels.com come in 5 center bore options (54.1, 56.1, 57.1, 63.4, 70.6), & the Mirage is apparently 56.1.

A smaller 54.1 center bore is not going to fit unless you have someone enlarge it. Probably not worth the effort. Selling those rims to offset the cost of buying some other rims may be the best route to take for sure.