Thread: US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage long-term test Wrap-up (About.com / Aaron Gold)

US: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage long-term test Wrap-up (About.com / Aaron Gold)

Name:  mirage-about.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  38.2 KB

I was talking to a car enthusiast this week who said the Mirage is a "truly bad car" that was "universally hated" by car reviewers.

Uh, no.

It's a polarizing car, yes. And the traditional gear head/enthusiast rags & blogs were exceptionally hard on it. But there are also many reviews that kept the car in context and gave it a fair shake. Case in point: this wrap-up of Aaron Gold's long term test of a top-spec CVT Mirage in L.A.

It's worth a read, in which he addresses these main questions:

• Can the Mirage really get those stellar fuel economy numbers -- even with Mrs. Robin "Faster, Faster!" Gold sharing the driving duties?
    • Are subcompact cars really only suited to urban and suburban driving, or can they cope with long-distance, high-speed freeway trips?
    • What sort of comforts and conveniences must one give up for a budget-priced car -- and is it worth the sacrifice?

In the end he gives it the green light:

Conclusion: A budget car that respects your budget

The Mirage may have its share of detractors, but after living with the car for six months, Robin and I are favorably impressed. The Mirage is small, inexpensive and practical, and proved to us that living with an inexpensive car is easy… especially on the wallet.
    Read the full review: http://cars.about.com/od/2014-Mitsub...st-Wrap-up.htm

Other installments by Mr Gold:

US: About.com doing a long-term Mirage test - top spec CVT

Video: Mitsubishi USA's "Extreme MPG Mirage hypermiling contest"

U.S: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage review - Seriously Cheap (About.com Cars)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks MetroMPG, I enjoyed that read.

I think the biggest problem with car reviewers is the fact that they're human. Sometimes it's hard to disconnect impressions from the previous car they reviewed. As an example my fathers 2012 Hyundai Elantra felt like a V6 the other day after driving my Mirage to his house, yet I remember the same car feeling sluggish and unresponsive last month after driving my in-laws Mazda MPV which does have a V6. I believe any car or truck reviewer needs a couple of days with that vehicle to get a true and fair impression, especially when reviewing multiple classes of cars, such as today we test and review the Ford Mustang, followed by the Chevrolet Sonic!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.0 mpg (Imp)

Agreed!

I picked up an '07 Civic 5-speed to use as a winter car (my elderly Firefly has earned a holiday from road salt). Switching to the Civic felt like I was driving a sports car.

Heck, switching to the Mirage from the Firefly felt like going to a sports car!

(Translation for our U.S. members: Firefly = Canadian market Geo Metro.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)