Thread: You may start noticing some COLTS around here soon

You may start noticing some COLTS around here soon

EDIT (Mar 28) -- Never mind! Mitsu announced they're calling it "Mirage" in the U.S. & Canada after all. See: U.S. debut - 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage @ New York auto show: details, photos, specs

----

Mitsubishi is unveiling the Mirage at the New York auto show next week, and they're still being secretive about what the car's name will be. (See: Mitsubishi's trademark woes: what to call new Mirage in U.S./Canada?) I've been poking through the public trademark records in both Canada and the US, and there's been activity on the files for both "Mirage" and "Colt" in recent months.

So, it's possible the car may wear the Colt badge here.

In an effort to attract Mirage/Colt/Space Star enthusiasts, Tim and I are going to be proactive. We're going to do the same thing we did with the Space Star name: add references to the new name throughout the site, in the hopes it gets picked up by Google & other search engines so people will be able to find us. We'll be editing some thread titles and subforum names -- things like that.

So you'll see a lot of "Mirage / Colt / Space Star" in the coming days. Ultimately, we'd prefer if Mitsu USA/Canada just stuck to the Mirage name, but we won't know for sure what's going to happen until next Thursday.

3 possible outcomes:

1) If they do call it Colt, we'll be ready in advance.

2) If they keep the Mirage name, we'll just undo all our Colt references, and there's no harm done.

3) And if they announce some completely different name out of left field, we'll have to scramble to substitute it wherever we just added Colt!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    How do you think, is the new Attrage coming as Attrage, Mirage Sedan, or Colt?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It's Attrage in Southeast Asia, except the Philippines where it's called the Mirage G4 (Attrage rhymes with atras which means to go backwards in Filipino... not exactly an inspiring name for a car).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The same thing with English speaking countries: Attrage rhymes with Outrage.

However:
    On Thursday, September 19, 2013, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for COLT by MITSUBISHI JIDOSHA KOGYO KABUSHIKI KAISHA, Tokyo

On Thursday, December 15, 2011, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for MIRAGE by MITSUBISHI JIDOSHA KOGYO KABUSHIKI KAISHA, TOKYO

On Monday, October 29, 2012, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for ATTRAGE by MITSUBISHI JIDOSHA KOGYO KABUSHIKI KAISHA, Tokyo

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-m...17857-page-1-2

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    omg .. COLT?

they really are using a lot of names with this car...

i know the cold because they where build here in NL it was around the same size.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really liked the European Colt with its last front end and hoped for sales in US. It's a little bit bigger than current Mirage (Space Star).

That's sad there is no more MMC in NL.

However, I like the COLT nameplate better than Attrage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Status Update! On Tuesday, October 15, 2013, status on the ATTRAGE trademark changed to PUBLISHED FOR OPPOSITION.

October 15, 2013, status on the ATTRAGE trademark changed

I liked the Euro Colt too.

IF the sedan does come to the US/Canada, I'd be surprised if they call it anything other than Mirage. The company isn't exactly rolling in money in this market, so why not leverage the brand awareness they're building with the hatch name?

Also... can you think of an example of a hatch/sedan variant of the same platform in the U.S. with different names?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only thing that comes to my mind is the Rabbit/Golf and Jetta (Bora).

However, Mitsubishi is playing with its known names. The last example is Outlander Sport instead of ASX.

In other hand, they locked themselves in very few names - Lancer and Outlander. And they need more names and wider range of choice. My bet.

Update: Corolla and Matrix?
    Last edited by Mikhail; 10-23-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    It does better with Colt, it doesn't lift up to the name Space Star or Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)