Thread: Engine Rattles on first gear from full stop

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Engine Rattles on first gear from full stop

CAR: 2014 Mirage GLS HB M/T

I have a problem with my mirage which sometimes my engine rattles on first gear coming off from a full stop. This happens while A/C is either ON or OFF.

Is this normal or am I not doing the right gas and clutch combination for my first gear?

I have other cars on M/T but I don't have these problems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    this does happen to me sometimes...I think it may be I am letting the clutch out too fast and not giving it enough gas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll have to observe... Most of the time, I have the music blasting so I dont hear this stuff.

EDIT:
    By the way, what part of Davao are you at? I visited Davao for a few days, then Mati for a few days as well. Back in the day, I remember no paved roads from Davao to Mati. Today, most of everything's paved. Still loved the mountain side roads.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it's normal. If I'm not giving the engine enough gas when shifting in to first there's a definite jolting/rattling. After a while, I just got in the habit of revving the engine a bit more at start.

Post audio/video!

That'll help with diagnosis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I'll have to observe... Most of the time, I have the music blasting so I dont hear this stuff.

EDIT:
    By the way, what part of Davao are you at? I visited Davao for a few days, then Mati for a few days as well. Back in the day, I remember no paved roads from Davao to Mati. Today, most of everything's paved. Still loved the mountain side roads.
    Davao has 3 parts North, South and Oriental. I'm in the south part where the city is. Mati is in the Oriental part. And yes almost all roads now are paved. You still can enjoy seeing the hillsides on most part of long distance trips.

@all

I also am managing to give it a little more gas to eliminate the rattle on first gear so I guess this is normal for a 1.2 N/A engine. I have a 1.3 turbo in my Toyota Starlet GT and I don't experience this rattle on first gear. I'm still not comfortable with it since stepping more on the throttle means consuming more gas.
    2014 Mirage GLS HB M/T

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sounds like you are experiencing what's called clutch "judder".
    Mine has it, and I just avoid it.
    Some clutches (vehicles) are more prone to it than others.
    Some clutches do it because there's a problem.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure all of our manual Mirage get this, including mine. The best way around it is to ride the clutch longer and rev a little higher, but fudge that. Nothing to worry about from what I can tell. And I do it almost every time I pull from a stop. Mostly because I don't care to finesse my every launch.