Views: 428
Size:  67.3 KB

Am I doing it right?
    That's about 16MPG.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

I would have to disagree a bit here. It's not "using the brakes" per se that hurts fuel economy, brakes obviously have no connection to the engine, rather their usage is the precursor to the likely fuel consumed (the MPG hit) as you accelerate back up to speed.
    (A primary reason I "hate" traffic lights, especially the dumb ones that trigger on timers irrespective of traffic loads).
    A constant RPM at the engine's sweet spot (pretty much what a CVT is designed to do) is a good bet for maximum efficiency (maximum respective to engine RPM, i.e., neglecting the higher frictional losses that CVTs have relative to a manual). Also while the efficiency of the engine may be 'better' at higher loads, less throttle (i.e., opening the throttle or nearer to WOT) means more fuel, more throttle means less fuel.
    And most definitely I would say acceleration is the primary factor in fuel consumption. If we weren't accelerating we would use a minimum amount of fuel; it's Newton's second law: Force=Mass x Acceleration or looking at it another way - the Acceleration is defined by the force/mass. Velocity (speed) doesn't 'require' force (of course it does in our fricitional / real world, but really it's only because we are constantly fighting off the multitude of forces: drag, gravity, friction; the biggest effort an engine expends is the acceleration required (and defined) by the force/mass). This is also why the highway MPG usually exceeds the city MPG: highway - not a lot of acceleration, mostly a 'constant' velocity; city - lots of acceleration, rarely a 'constant' velocity.

That being said - you clearly know how to maximize your MPG (way better than me ), so "whatever" about all this theory mumbo-jumbo I have written above, you're doing it right.

Hey Minihaha!

Let me take a crack at explaining what Daox was saying with the understanding I gathered during years of ecodriving.

Regarding acceleration: The engine is more efficient producing power per amount of fuel used with a more open throttle then it is with a more closed throttle!

Why? Because when the throttle is less open,during the intake stroke the engine has to fight pulling air through a tiny crack.

When the throttle blade is closer to fully open,during that intake stroke as the piston is moving down,there is less restricition for it to draw the air in. Or less pumping losses as they call it.

Now this does not mean that driving around WOT results in best fuel economy. It is just the fact that the engine is more efficient making power per unit of fuel with the throttle more open.

What matters is how this is being used to gain more fuel economy!

I know you have more fun driving the car than worry about MPGs but I will say it anyway.

First, one has to be somewhat smooth and slow opening the throttle because if it is snapped open,the ECU will enter fuel enrichement mode to keep the car from falling on it's face due to a lean condition caused by the fact that air molecules are lighter than fuel molecules thus fuel is lagging behind the air entering the cilynder/combustion chamber.

Then one should not exceed about 80% engine load during accel. for the same reason as above! (not necessairly 80% throttle)

So here we are got the car moving with our 'investment' of relatively efficient acceleration and now we have momentum and kinetic energy going for us.

What are we going to do with it? If we now have to use the brakes,we are throwing our 'investment' (fuel) out the window so to speak. (this is why they say using the brakes is practically turning gasoline into brake dust!)

Personally after a short acceleration I let the car either neutral coast or EOC as long as practical.

If I know that I will have to come to a stop soon, I will still accelerate and coast but this time using even shorter acceleration.
    Where 'normal' drivers would hold the vehicle in gear at a steady rpm and speed to get to the stop etc.

Basically I try to use the engine ONLY when it is the most efficient! (acceleration) Then use the momentum I gained to the max by coasting as much as circumstances allow(traffic,terrain etc.)!

BTW I like the mirage delta wing on your avatar,great idea!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The threepot coasts like crazy.
    It's fun to watch the reaction of a passenger when they can't believe how far we're coasting.
    It's one thing I really like about the 5 speed.
    Last edited by ThreePot; 12-15-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    . (this is why they say using the brakes is practically turning gasoline into brake dust!)
    Well said, lol! Thanks for the explanation too, that was informative.

Doax - hope I didn't step on your toes too badly(?), the enginerd in me sometimes gets mixed in with the wordnerd and I can get too literal-technical...

FWIW - I am amazed by the mileage all you fuel-misers get, truly incredible. I don't have the patience for all that coasting, especially the EOC. Though, I do coast now and again (if you can believe it!! lol) and I am pleasantly surprised each time by the coasting capacity of the lil' triple, it is without a doubt the best coasting automobile I've ever had / driven.
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    Yeah, I'd think so. I haven't been in a CVT, but I saw one (a Mirage) on youTube and I was very surprised how it worked to maintain the RPM constant, it was weird! And (to me) not at all appealing, I love winding out an ICE.
    Drive a Nissan product! Under mild-moderate acceleration, the RPMs are all over. It'll lug the engine at 1000RPM when you're trying to get up to speed, then when you're cruising on the flat, it'll just start running at 5000RPM for no reason.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    No offense taken at all! Its your car and you should drive it the way you want.

3dplane did a good job at further describing what I meant. Thanks.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)