Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Horn Is Terrible - Here's how I made it better.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If there's two spade terminals on your new horn, connect pos to car plug and jumper second spade (neg) back to the center mounting bolt. Mount as usual.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If there's two spade terminals on your new horn, connect pos to car plug and jumper second spade (neg) back to the center mounting bolt. Mount as usual.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    is there anyone here did a 4 horn setup?

just wondering how it'll sound installing two different set of horns? I just recently changed to the new Bosch Evolution horn but my EC6 still works fine and im thinking of installing it again.

just wondering??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    You'll have to let us know. And Pictures!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    is there anyone here did a 4 horn setup?

just wondering how it'll sound installing two different set of horns? I just recently changed to the new Bosch Evolution horn but my EC6 still works fine and im thinking of installing it again.

just wondering??
    On pressing your horn button it will sound as if two cars are pressing their horns at the same time .. haha.. LOL

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    hehe but will it not damage the relay if i install the extra horn?
    or do i have to make a separate relay for the other two?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    hehe but will it not damage the relay if i install the extra horn?
    or do i have to make a separate relay for the other two?
    Depends on how well made your relay is. Most vehicles here have 2 horns from factory. But that might not be as common any more. The car I drive has a pretty crappy horn to start with and I wore it out pretty good over the last few weeks.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-23-2018 at 10:13 PM. Reason: more politically correct

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hehe @Eggman

i managed to install my EC6 again + the new bosch evolution horn and its loud. i love how its sounds.

maybe because the EC6 has a higher tone and the Evo has bass tone.

Listen n watch how loud.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    We all know what our horns sound like. And it seems to me, here where I live, that it gets largely ignored.

So I decided to fix that. And I took pictures. For this job, you will need a 10mm and a 12mm wrench.

First, we pop the hood on our mirage. Head to the belt end of the engine.

The horn is immediately in front of the A/C compressor, on a bracket mounted to the radiator support.

Unplug the wire. It uses a squeeze tab. Once you unplug it, remove the 10mm nut. The threads may be a bit gunked up, and you'll not be able to unscrew the nut with your fingers once you have it loose. You'll need the wrench.

It looks like this. Isn't it cute?

This is what I replaced it with. $21 at autozone. This is the "low tone" horn. It's quite loud.

You will find that the bracket on the car doesn't have a big enough hole for this horn. You can either drill it out, or use the brackets that came with the horn. To remove the bracket, you will need a 12mm wrench. The bolt is on the front of the radiator support. Be careful not to hit the A/C line with the wrench.

Once you have your bracket drilled or replaced, it's time to put the new horn on. The factory horn grounds out through the mounting stud. This new horn has two terminals. It came with a wire that had a spade connector on one end and a ring connector on the other.

Put the horn down in the spot the old one came from. Plug in the other wire.

Enjoy your new, better sounding horn.
    Thanks! I'm installing a compact two tone air horn from Amazon tomorrow. Because of the current draw, I'll also be adding a horn relay. Your post has been most helpful!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed A, C, D, and F GM "cadillac" horns in mine. Remember cadillacs that sounded kinda like trains? Well, that's the sound. Not quite as loud as "train" horns you'll see but they are plenty and I mean plenty loud enough.

You don't have to buy a "set" off ebay, just go to a junkyard and look for 70s-80s-90s GM vehicles and get the horns. I say "set" because not many cars came with A, C, D, and F so people go to the junkyard and make a "set" to sell on ebay. Take a 12v battery and wires so you can test them (check the battery or jump box in with the junkyard). They have the musical note they are on the back. I probably have like 50 bucks in mine not counting the relay. I ran hellas and didn't like them.

If you remove the front bumper cover and use the existing wiring to trigger a relay, it's not too bad. I used the factory brackets the horns were attached to and just bent, cut, and shaped them so they would fit. Instead of a bolt, I put a stud in and it made it way easier to get 3 horns on one post and cinch it down nice and tight. I used one of the factory holes. For the other one, I forget what I did so I'll have to take a picture....it's been like a year.

The look on someones face when they hear the GM "Cadillac" horns come from the Mirage is amazing, worth the price of admission.

This guy goes over the GM horns really well, I could imagine C+C+D+D= super creepy and loud. That's toward the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiVowe2vcPY

Last edited by Wubbalubbadubdub; 08-06-2019 at 05:48 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wubbalubbadubdub For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-06-2019)