Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parking Light/Daytime Running lights?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Parking Light/Daytime Running lights?

Hello Forum!
    I've been looking at the forum and my manual and I need to replace the "Parking Light" it's a W5W bulb....

My question is:
    What is the function of the "Parking Light" Is it the first position on the Headlights? Is this function similar to daytime running lights? Right now, I can only Turn "On" my headlights from position 2.....

I have a '14 Mirage ES and I would assume I have daytime running lights and I assume it's that bulb that's burned out.....

Thanks for any info!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    It's likely one of the corner marker lights. A photo would really help.

It is my understanding the Mirage did not use daytime running lights in the U.S. market, as that would involve burning the regular headlamps at a reduced intensity. Check for the presence of a DRL relay in your engine compartment relay box located near the battery.

Wikipedia has this to say about 'parking lights'
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Conspicuity, signal and identification lights

Conspicuity devices are the lamps and reflectors that make a vehicle conspicuous and visible with respect to its presence, position, direction of travel, change in direction or deceleration. Such lamps may burn steadily, blink, or flash, depending on their intended and regulated function. Most must be fitted in pairs—one left and one right—though some vehicles have multiple pairs (such as two left and two right stop lamps) and/or redundant light sources (such as one left and one right stop lamp, each containing two bulbs).

Front
    Front position lamps

"Front position lamps", known as "parking lamps" or "parking lights" in the US, Canada and Australia and "front sidelights" in the UK provide nighttime standing-vehicle conspicuity. They were designed to use little electricity, so they could be left on for periods of time while parked.
    I hope that addresses your concern! It seems you have things under control since you know what type bulb you need.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-05-2017 at 09:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    There is a small, low-wattage bulb in each of the main headlamp assemblies that acts like a DRL when the parking lights are on. It is the dark round spot in the dead center of the headlight in this picture, and it sits below and inboard of the main headlamp bulb. When on, it lights up the entire headlamp just like the main bulb does, but at a much lower brightness. The bulb used is a very common bulb normally found in instrument cluster lights and the like. EDIT: It's a 194 bulb.

For some reason, I have had to replace each of these bulbs about three or four times on my Mirage. Check yours...I will bet they are burned out. It's not something you would notice unless you had the parking lights on and knew the bulb was there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    For some reason, I have had to replace each of these bulbs about three or four times on my Mirage.
    Good point, Cobrajet.

That's wild - I haven't had to replace mine yet. I'll have to watch for this as I pull up to a reflective surface.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good point, Cobrajet.

That's wild - I haven't had to replace mine yet. I'll have to watch for this as I pull up to a reflective surface.
    Yeah. I got sick of buying new pairs of 194s at $5.00 a pop, so I started grabbing handfuls of used ones at the wrecking yard! Scarlett likes to eat headlight bulbs as well. These small parking lights are on when either the headlights or parking lights are on, so I guess they see lots of use.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    There is a small, low-wattage bulb in each of the main headlamp assemblies that acts like a DRL when the parking lights are on. It is the dark round spot in the dead center of the headlight in this picture, and it sits below and inboard of the main headlamp bulb. When on, it lights up the entire headlamp just like the main bulb does, but at a much lower brightness. The bulb used is a very common bulb normally found in instrument cluster lights and the like. EDIT: It's a 194 bulb.

For some reason, I have had to replace each of these bulbs about three or four times on my Mirage. Check yours...I will bet they are burned out. It's not something you would notice unless you had the parking lights on and knew the bulb was there.

I replaced mine with some amber LED’s. No canbus issues and it’s been 2 years with no problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I change them all the time. W5W is the part number I use, look just like a 194. There are 2 per headlight. One below the headlight bulb and another on the side behind the orange reflector.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think they also refer to a T10 socket. Bulbs for this socket can be found in 3 & 5 watts. I'm sure someone can find a LED bulb that's brighter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After replacing cheap led's multiple times due to burning out, I got these and so far so good. https://www.amazon.com/Philips-12791...70_&dpSrc=srch

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

mohammad (09-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just thought they never worked... I always have the low beams on anyway - habit i picked up from riding a motorcycle.