Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I trade my Fiesta for a Mirage? (and mod for more power?)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This may be happening sooner than I thought, I had a friend helping me for the last few days and I found a few parts at the junk yard to hide my mods. I am almost back to stock and I have an appraisal with a mitsubishi dealership tomorrow after work. I hope it's ready by then. They told me they have a 2014 SE in kiwi green 5MT that they can give me with 0% interest. May have it before january if all goes as planned!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Congrats! As the matter of fact my Mirage 1.0L just owned a Renault Megane (see pic)!! Muahahahaha

Name:  Renault_Mégane_II_Facelift_front_20091206.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  94.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hahaha! I don't know what to think of that car in the pic, it looks luxury and ugly at the same time... Is it a hybrid?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy Mitsu View Post
    Hahaha! I don't know what to think of that car in the pic, it looks luxury and ugly at the same time... Is it a hybrid?
    OMG no it's not hybrid. You seriously haven't ever seen this car? The streets in Europe is filled with these kind of jokes!!
    Renault is well known for it's ability of dropping EVERYTHING including the floor on the road while you're driving it! French built ... uh hum ....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd get the Mirage over the fiesta for 2 reasons: No belt driven oil pump and no timing belt *AND* they are bigger inside. The only seat in a Fiesta I can fit in is the passenger seat. I can't get my right leg under the steering wheel and the back seat is just tiny.

I like the torque curve of the 1.0L fiesta. Don't trust timing belts or oil pump belts.

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Yeah, used to see stuff like that in the 70's & 80's, small cars with big motors wedged in. Had to use v8's, the domestic 4's were lousy. 6 cyl's could be peppy (Ford 2.8's with headers ran well but noisy valve train). Ford and GM were shoving small 8's wherever they could for a while. I may be wrong, but seems to me there were some small AMC's with v8's.
    The new motors are really awesome. 4 cyl's run like v8's of thirty years ago.
    Do you remember the 1984 Dodge Colt Turbo? They were the same as Mitsubishi Mirage. Really fast.
    AMC put their 360 V8 in about everything at one point or another. Even light, short, tall CJ-7s ... I (personally) believe they made the first "good" 4 cylinder. The AMC 150 / 2.5L I4 engine had good fuel economy, great power and fuel injection. At the time, 4 cylinders .... didn't exactly have that. They used the Iron Duke 2.5 for a while, but ultimately their 4 cylinder was much better.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well I seen the car last night, 2014 kiwi green SE with comfort package. I think the appraisal went good on my fiesta, only thing that didn't appear to be stock was my tires on the steelies (beefy winter tires that filled even stock suspension wheel wells), and my short shifter (but I took the leather boot off and put the rubber vinyl one back on along with stock shifter knob instead of my weighted one. I even un-tinted my tail lights with "goof off" graffiti remover (warning be careful using this on with plastic it will eat through it if you leave them on long enough). I did mine in my garage washroom. took the tail lights off and cleaned them, sprayed goof off , rubbed them with a polishing microfiber cloth until the tint came off, then rinse them with a washmit or sponge with some soapy water. It took me a while to do this as I had 2 coats of clear over the wet sanded tint so I had to eat through the clear and the tint without eating the plastic, I did many small applications and worked my way across the whole light.

Overall I think it went good but after them buying out my loan it puts the bi-weekly up to 194.50$ instead of 152.00$ and I got a steal on the ford since I knew the salesmen and he gave me his discount price and cut a few corners to make it look like I made a huge down payment. This troubles me a little since the window price on the mirage was only 13,670$ and my ford was substantially more expensive than that so I should have the same if not lower payments with 0% interest.

I was told they would call me back today but I figure they couldn't reach a loaner on the phone since it's christmas eve. I will keep you posted but this may be something to think on. I think it would be cheaper to keep my ford and save a few more grand and buy a used mirage in cash. I suppose I will be butchering the car anyways so all that matters is the transmission and color but that climate control and power rear windows would have been nice. Hrm.. I guess I could always add them in manually if I can find all the parts.
    Last edited by Messy Mitsu; 12-24-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My last car was a 1996 Ford Aspire, and the Fiesta would be the natural progression. I was VERY tempted to go for it, since I liked the idea of a turbo for high elevations. But, the Mirage is lighter with a lower drag coefficient, and gets better fuel economy. I decided to go with the Mirage since it was a better blank canvas. Tuning the suspension how I want it to be is proving to be a challenge, but I do enjoy the Mirage. It's definitely unique.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    any updates messy mitsu

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry for lack of updates. I will be getting a mirage when I see a good deal in the next year or so but I will not be trading in my fiesta. After all the taxes and buyout of my current loan I was looking at more than double of the sticker cost of the mirage, it just was not a wise decision on my part to take the trade.

At the rate their prices are dropping for used ones I should see one at 6-8 grand sometime soon. I will be gutting it anyways, I basically want it for the dash and the shell, i'm willing to repaint it and replace the engine and trans. the interior bits are being taken out and molded with carbon fiber replacements or bare metal, suspension and wheels are all being redone, and I will most likely run the wiring along the floor on the inside. stainless braided brake lines and fuel lines on the outside under a skid plate. So I really only need a frame and body with doors and a hood, all of which i am willing to do bodywork on and repaint.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Did you end up going through with it?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)