Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPG variances in fuel log (trying to decide between used Prius or Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

MPG variances in fuel log (trying to decide between used Prius or Mirage)

Hello, I was recently given the option at work to purchase my own vehicle and be paid mileage. So I am attempting to determine the absolute lowest cost vehicle to own. At .41 a mile I could potentially do very well operating a low cost vehicle like the mirage. I have it down to a used Prius or the mirage as currently my best options. I drive about 50,000 miles a year so I go through vehicles quickly. The Prius is by far a much more refined enjoyable car to drive, but I am willing to forgo that to get the absolute lowest cost of ownership.

When I look at the fuel economy log here on this site I notice some huge differences in mileage. I see the 5 speed ranging from over 60 to the low 30's. I could understand someone who has a lead foot but a 30 mpg difference? What is even more strange is that the CVT which is supposed to be more efficient seems to be somewhat lower. I don't get it. Any input would be great, thank you.

Hi, Albin.

The EPA ratings system handicaps manual transmissions generally (it makes their ratings lower than real world driving with a sensible driver).

EG: see Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

The spread in the fuel log is understandable -- we've got a big variety of owners posting numbers: from leadfoot "fun" drivers who redline each gear, to people who do mostly city commutes, to people doing mostly laid-back secondary highway cruising, to hard-core ecodrivers/hypermilers.

Doing as many miles as you do, I assume you're mostly highway driving. In which case, you might do well to look at the "speed vs. MPG" graphs for the Mirage:

Thread: Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

Note: those numbers are for "steady state"; your total trip MPG with that cruising speed would be different (probably a bit lower on average).

Also, used Mirages are now cropping up as well. That would lower your cost of ownership even further.

Keep us posted!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. Buying used is a given, I never buy new. While used mirage's are starting to come up, I only have a total of 6 in a 100 mile radius of me according to autotrader.com

Have you already driven both cars?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you mean the CVT and the 5 speed? Or the Prius and the mirage? If so yes on both counts. My wife owns a Prius so I am familiar with them. I actually enjoy driving it is pretty comfortable compared to what I am used to driving.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey there, I was thinking that the overall average of all drivers in the Fuel Economy Log gives a better indication of "real" mileage for the Mirage.

The overall average is real close to what I get as an average, and I just commute to work and back with no special driving techniques E.G. hypermiling etc..

I mean this for the CVT transmission, someone who is good with a stick can do way better!
    Last edited by DonHoot; 12-25-2014 at 01:22 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonHoot For This Useful Post:

Albin (12-25-2014)

Prius vs Mirage, I meant. Sounds like you've got lots of perpective already.

I haven't spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a Prius, but I will admit I get a kick out of the way the hybrid system works...fun in a nerdy way (and I definitely qualify as an MPG nerd).

I would have a hard time deciding between the 2 cars. Not a slam dunk either way to me. I'd have to do a back to back comparison.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Albin (12-25-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would be really happy with 44 mpg with the CVT. I would actually prefer it as my knees are starting to go from climbing towers my whole life. It would be nice not to have to bang on a clutch a 100 times a day.

The Prius is a really cool car, its fun seeing how many miles I can keep the gas engine off. 200k and nothing but routine maintenance, its been a great car. With the limited selection of used mirages around here, a comparable mileage Prius is going for around 6k more than the mirage. Assuming I get 40 average in the mirage the Prius would only kick back about 3k in fuel savings over 250k miles. At least to me though Toyota's reputation has been spotless so that means something to me. With the slight exception of my Tundra's frame that completely rotted out after 8 years, at least Toyota stepped up and gave me a new frame though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are a few factors here...

You have to drive the mirage and see if you like it. I think the prius is a little more 'luxurious' and, for some, may be worth the extra $.

I may (or may not) speak for everyone here, but the reason why I bought the mirage was it's extremely low NEW price.

One could have bought a few 'better' cars at 15k. Even a used mirage would probably be in the 10k range.

The good mileage is just a perk of buying the mirage for me.

You've driven the 5-speed Mirage? I don't know how bad your knees are, but it's without a doubt the lightest clutch I've ever driven. Others have said the same thing.