Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressor

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Air Compressor

Been awhile since I have had a NEW car and with all this new stuff I was wondering cause I want an air compressor that I can plug into the 12v and use but have heard that some can cause an issue such as blowing fuses to the compressor not working.Sounds silly but I do not want to screw anything up. Thanks,,

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I believe its an independent 15 amp circuit. Anything that plugs in should work. Also if you blow the fuse other things should not be effected.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Dinton (08-07-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinton View Post
    ...I want an air compressor that I can plug into the 12v and use but have heard that some can cause an issue such as blowing fuses to the compressor...
    I carry a compressor like this one...

Name:  compressor.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  95.9 KB

It's probably overkill for a Mirage, but I've helped out other people with it. Notice that the power leads must be clamped directly to the battery. You don't plug it into the 12 volt outlet in the car. So it's a bit less convenient, but I prefer hooking large power draws like this directly to the power source. Many of the more powerful portable compressors work this way. It has its own fuse holder in the power lead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dinton (08-07-2023),Fummins (09-28-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinton View Post
    Been awhile since I have had a NEW car and with all this new stuff I was wondering cause I want an air compressor that I can plug into the 12v and use but have heard that some can cause an issue such as blowing fuses to the compressor not working.Sounds silly but I do not want to screw anything up. Thanks,,
    This one won't blow any fuses -

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackburn...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dinton (08-07-2023),Top_Fuel (08-06-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I own this air compressor (without the slime) https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...p.3998520.html I haven't had any issues with power. Although the gauge appears to maybe be 3psi off from my digital tpms system but its also harder to read being analog and having to bend over to read it while connected to the tire.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Dinton (08-07-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No, but it might blow out some seldom used muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I own this air compressor (without the slime) https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/s...p.3998520.html I haven't had any issues with power. Although the gauge appears to maybe be 3psi off from my digital tpms system but its also harder to read being analog and having to bend over to read it while connected to the tire.
    I carry this compressor with me https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...0compressor#sr

Actually a variant of it. Mine is a Campbell Hausfeld. much better quality than the current CTC chinese stuff and it cost me all of $49.95 I also carry a 400 w inverter, again, something I picked up for $50 20 years ago. It's a nice quality unit. My A/C draws about 13 amps so the inverter handles it well. It may be overkill but the compressor lives in the aluminum tongue box with the inverter and I can inflate a car size tire from flat in about 45s. The bonus is having the inverter means I'm never lacking my 18v Dewalt drill and impact driver.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Dinton (08-07-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I believe its an independent 15 amp circuit. Anything that plugs in should work. Also if you blow the fuse other things should not be effected.
    mohammad makes 2 really great points in this post. I'm just going to reiterate them.

1. If it has a "cigarette lighter" type of plug, it is supposed to be designed to pull less than 15A so it doesn't blow that APO's fuse.
    2. Even if it does blow a fuse, it won't hurt anything BUT the fuse.

Good reply mohammad!

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dinton (08-07-2023),mohammad (08-08-2023),Top_Fuel (08-07-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    mohammad makes 2 really great points in this post. I'm just going to reiterate them.

1. If it has a "cigarette lighter" type of plug, it is supposed to be designed to pull less than 15A so it doesn't blow that APO's fuse.
    2. Even if it does blow a fuse, it won't hurt anything BUT the fuse.

Good reply mohammad!

7milesout
    Here's something else I consider important about using the lighter outlet.
    It may very well have a 15A fuse. My concern is the wiring. To safely run 15A continuous the wire MUST be 14AWG or greater. This is the size of wire in a standard house circuit. A lot of the wires I've seen for lighter circuits have been 16 GA or even 18 GA.
    So what happens then running 15A device on a lighter circuit with 16 GA wire? The fuse will never blow, not in a million years.
    BUT the insulation on the wire may melt, then it may short on an exposed area of the car chassis.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    So what happens then running 15A device on a lighter circuit with 16 GA wire? The fuse will never blow, not in a million years.
    BUT the insulation on the wire may melt, then it may short on an exposed area of the car chassis.
    C'mon now Wally! Them engineers are smart (except Hyundai-Kia), and they figured this out a hunert years ago (except Hyundai-Kia). I know the electrical engineers I worked with a Toyota were some REALLY smart dudes. As for Hyundai-Kia, they never figured any of this out, they just do it the same way Toyota does it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-08-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ended up with a Slime unit that is supposed to have a setting that will automatically turn off at a specific psi which is nice if it works.As long as it works period Im good.Thanks everyone.