Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: alex16 2014 ES 5MT Upgrade, build thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't see any logical reason, other than saving $, to have longer oil change intervals. If you're broke, then yes, save money.

Newer oil is better for any engine as it lubricates better, which in turn cools better. You can tell as the engine is super quiet right after the oil change.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hmmmm ... My engine makes the same noise before and after oil change. Weird. But indeed, adapting to his financial situation i would say change oil less frequently.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi says it is safe to change your oil at 7500 for easy driving conditions and 3750 for severe here in the US. Thats about 12000 normal and 6000km severe.

New engines normally have a "break in period" around the first 500 to 1000 miles for cars, the engine has more wearing going on with all of the internal components being very tight.

The build date on my Mirage is September 2013 so that oil has been in there for over 15 months, which the manual says 6 months for standard driving and 3 months for severe. Lots of condensation can build up in the oil over time which is why they say change it 3/6 months.

The last thing is I have no idea what brand/quality oil they used when building my Mirage, I wanted to take a sample for testing but the Walmart trip threw things off course.

So I changed it for my piece of mind, its my first new car and I might be a little over kill lol.

I read a lot of reviews on oils from bobistheoilguy.com and they say that redline is one of the best for modern engines but for price. Eneos is the number one Japanese oil out there, it is ranked very high and the price is almost reasonable at 7.75/qt. Amsoil and redline are both priced around 14.00 per quart which is almost double, Mobile 1 eco is 5,20. Toyota uses a type of Eneos oil for there engines, its a slightly different blend they say but its almost the same price as my local Eneos supplier. If I was doing 7500 mile oil changes I could justify the redline but I am driving under the severe conditions in my owners manual and I'll be doing 3750 oil changes to keep my warranty, at 100K I'll start extending the distance when the warranty is over.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Fair enough

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did sell the Civic as well, so that added 900 dollars to my financial situation lol. I'm saving most of it put I did splurge on a yaris arm rest, oil changes, redline transmission fluid change (to be done soon). Plus I am working lots of over time and I'll have my raise here in a week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Damn. I should be changing the oil sooner then. I was hoping for 5k intervals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It would be nice if someone would just do an oil analysis on their used oil. I'd be willing to bet you can easily go 7500 miles on conventional and much longer on synthetic.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think with a high quality filter such as a wix and synthetic you should be safe doing 7500 changes, maybe even 10k. The issue I have is I do lots of short trips (to work and home) 3 miles each way, and then short trips around town often. I also drive in below 32 degree weather, which all of these things are listed in "severe conditions". Also the roads around here are heavily salted.

I'll copy and paste from mitsubishi's website.

"Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
    Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
    Extensive idling and /or low speed operation
    Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures (engine not thoroughly warmed up)
    Extended use of brakes while driving
    Driving in sandy areas
    More than 50 % operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 °F (32 °C)"

"Recommended upcoming maintenance
    3750 miles or at 3 months"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I stopped by the dealership today to ask about a cargo package that was listed on my window sticker, it said I had a cargo net and cargo mat added, though I didn't pay the window sticker price I was curious if they would make my car true to its option list. They seemed embarrassed when I showed them I did not have them and they went directly to parts, they said it would take 7 days or so to get them, the sales manager then went straight out to a 2015 they just got in and pulled out the new in package mat and took off the cargo net and gave them both to me with his apology

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (10-04-2018)

Nice service.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)