Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long time lurker, finally joined and following the Mirage for almost a year

Long time lurker, finally joined and following the Mirage for almost a year

Hi my name is David and I am writing from Chicago, Illinois thanks for having me onboard! As the title states I have been following this car for almost a year and have been lurking this site for many months. I finally decided to join in on the discussions as I want prepare for my future Mirage purchase. I couldn't help just lurking anymore and wanted to jump in on the fun. I'm currently driving a red 1992 Nissan 240SX SE with a swapped CA18DET, manual transmission, 20 MPG and no AC. I am a car guy of many years and not afraid to get my hands dirty. I've done the majority of work on my 240SX and would like a modern platform to try out. I like my car but I wish it were rust free, more comfortable, more advanced, more interior space and most importantly higher fuel efficiency.

So why the heck do I like the 2014-2015 Mirage? Most of my friends and family think I'm an oddball or that its too small of a car or unsafe or question its reliability but being a single guy without any commitments I am free to drive a car that I really like. To be quite honest, I am a fan of small fuel efficient cars. I once owned a 3 door red 2009 Toyota Yaris hatchback with a manual transmission. The Yaris started my passion for small fuel efficient city cars. I used it for interstate traveling as well as city driving and I loved it. Due to some unfortunate events I lost that car in an accident and 5 years later I am looking to get back into a small fuel efficient and fun car. The Mirage seems to be just the car I am looking for and with its unique 3 cylinder 1.2 L engine I am anxious to own one. 40+ MPG for a non-hybrid car just calls my name.

I don't own a Mirage yet but I am checking local Mitsubishi dealerships for deals on a weekly bases. I've come across a few manual ESes that I would've liked to have owned but being unemployed its just not going to happen. I have enough money for a decent down payment but Its just not a good idea to buy a new car without a steady job (I'd say at least 3 months on the job after a probationary period).

Anyways, the most recent deal I ran into, which another user found too, was a used infrared 2014 manual ES with approximately 8500 miles for $8500 out of New York (if i remember right). I had my eye on that one but it sold earlier this week. I thought it was a really good deal but wasn't sure if the "new" warranty would've still applied to it or if its just for the first owner of the car. Can anyone explain the warranty on say a one owner Mirage?

Currently I am eyeing a local new Mystic Black Pearl 2015 manual ES for $11,668. Not as tempting as the example above but still pretty good price for what it is. I am saddened I won't be able to buy it, unless I land a job I am interviewing for on Monday 1/12/2015! Wish me luck!

Also, I am really interested to see the new 2016 North American Mirage sedan and hatchback. I may end up just holding off until they come out to pull the trigger.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 01-09-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added background material

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site, glad you decided to register and post.

I assume you've driven the Mirage already? It also seems like you're set on manual transmission. Good luck with the car hunt.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I've only driven a 14 DE CVT. I want to test drive a 15 ES manual next. I've always enjoyed owning manual transmission cars but have considered a CVT for efficiency. Due to my preference bias I am leaning towards the manual, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Actually, the manual will be a little more efficient in real world use, provided you drive it sensibly. Government fuel economy ratings handicap manual transmissions. Have you seen this thread?
    Mirage CVT or 5-speed: which should you get for best gas mileage/fuel economy?

I also compared both transmissions on the same route:
    Gas mileage/MPG test: 2014 Mirage CVT vs. 5-speed (sub/urban Ottawa route)

But don't believe me! Look at our the economy stats of dozens of owners of each transmission:
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage-stats.php

Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I did take a look at those transmission threads and I personally would still prefer the manual transmission. It looks like I would still be able to squeeze out quite a bit of mpgs regardless and enjoy shifting my own gears.

Since I still cannot afford a new Mirage yet (still seeking employment) I managed to do the next best thing, well for my situation. I found and purchased a used 2001 Toyota Echo sedan 1.5L I4 1NZFE with 134,000 miles on the odometer and a 5 speed manual transmission for $2350! Yeah I know its super old and not the most efficient car out there but I caught the Ec(h)o bug and cannot wait to start driving frugally. The car is in good shape for its age and I am going to repaint the body so that it'll look like new again. I also like that I have 4 doors, a big trunk, AC and a radio now. According to what I've read online, I should be able to squeeze 40 or more mpgs out of it. The best I could get out of my 240sx was about 20 mpg so double that is going to be amazing! This will be my daily driver Eco car for work and for saving towards a Mirage in the future.

With the Mirage getting an update in 2015 and the sedan being released, I now have even more options to look and save forward to while driving a more reliable, dependable and efficient car.

A manual Echo is a good choice ... congrats. You should be able to squeeze 40 from it with sensible driving. Are you on EcoModder? A few members there are driving/modding those cars for better mpg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    When I was browsing for a new car, I was actually also looking for the Echo, but found that they were not built anymore and the used ones in the region were not in that good a shape. Congratz to the Echo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

I actually looked at an older Echo in the fall to get as a winter car, but the price was too steep. They sure seem to command high prices. Maybe that's the Toyota name.

And then of course they dropped the asking price from 3500 to 2500 after I already got something else. (And 2500 is still too steep for this particular Echo... it's still for sale, more than 6 months later.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Go drive a 5 speed mirage, drive it easy then a little aggressive. Don't push it hard in the corners they don't like it! Lol. I am in a mountain area in the cold north (Pennsylvania) where Honda civics struggle to get 25mpg in the winter and my mirages worst tank is 39mpg, it's simply incredible. The tiny tank runs down rather quickly but when empty 15 bucks and your off again! (2.30 gallon expensive pa taxed gas)

ES 5 speed=best choice ever. I never look for my car keys I just press two buttons and I'm off! Hands free Bluetooth is amazing and I no longer feel like scooby doo and shaggy in the fog.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    A manual Echo is a good choice ... congrats. You should be able to squeeze 40 from it with sensible driving. Are you on EcoModder? A few members there are driving/modding those cars for better mpg.
    No I am not on EcoModder. I really would like to see what others have done with their Echos though. Might give me some good ideas and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    When I was browsing for a new car, I was actually also looking for the Echo, but found that they were not built anymore and the used ones in the region were not in that good a shape. Congratz to the Echo.
    Mine is not in the best shape either but I am happy with it nonetheless. It has a dings, scratches and faded dull paint but nothing is rusty to the point where there are holes like in my 240sx. I plan on repainting factory white in the spring or early summer.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I actually looked at an older Echo in the fall to get as a winter car, but the price was too steep. They sure seem to command high prices. Maybe that's the Toyota name.

And then of course they dropped the asking price from 3500 to 2500 after I already got something else. (And 2500 is still too steep for this particular Echo... it's still for sale, more than 6 months later.)
    They do seem to hold their market value. I guess I could have kept waiting and searching but I had been eyeing this particular Echo for a month and it hadn't sold. Originally the private seller wanted $2700, I got it for $2350. I would've preferred $2000 but he would not budge any lower.

Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Go drive a 5 speed mirage, drive it easy then a little aggressive. Don't push it hard in the corners they don't like it! Lol. I am in a mountain area in the cold north (Pennsylvania) where Honda civics struggle to get 25mpg in the winter and my mirages worst tank is 39mpg, it's simply incredible. The tiny tank runs down rather quickly but when empty 15 bucks and your off again! (2.30 gallon expensive pa taxed gas)

ES 5 speed=best choice ever. I never look for my car keys I just press two buttons and I'm off! Hands free Bluetooth is amazing and I no longer feel like scooby doo and shaggy in the fog.
    I already did about 3 weeks ago. It was awesome very satisfying and much more enjoyable to me than the 2014 CVT DE I had driven last year. I definitely want bluetooth and cruise control with my manual transmission so ES is the only way for me. Gas is still around 2.05/gal regular around the Chicagoland area.

I saw your thread a little while back, how you chose between that used 2014 infrared ES and a new 2015 ES in white. Looks awesome!

==========================

On another happy note, this is the closest I'll get to owning a piece of the new Mirage...

Stock steel 14x5.5 4x100 45mm offset 175/65/14 old mismatched cracked tires...
    vs
    Stock aluminum alloy 14x4.5 4x100 46mm offset 165/65/14 3k miles matched low rolling resistance tires...

Mirage curb weight 1996 lb
    vs
    Echo curb weight 2080

Already balanced and mounted 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES wheels, tires and lug nuts for $425 with approximately 3,000 miles according to the seller. The fronts are really really close but not touching the brake caliper. Rears fit fine but they look more sunk into the wheel well than the original steel wheels. They so freaking skinny and light! lol Hoping this will help get a few more MPGs.

Last edited by davidricardo86; 01-30-2015 at 02:17 AM.