Thread: Donut's Dolly Drives Distance

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Question Donut's Dolly Drives Distance

Hello,

I will move from the East (Maryland) to the West (California) coast in September 2015 and I am already looking forward to the road trip ahead.

Given that we have users from all over the place, I thought that this forum might be the ideal resource to collect good ideas on where to stop and on which route to take my green Mirage. I am planning to do the ~2800 miles from the DC to the Bay area in three weeks. Since I am a researcher, I will travel on a rather low budget, so I also appreciate tips about how to save a dollar or two if it comes to accommodation/food and so forth.

I have gotten a first taste of the awesome national parks in the US (Arches, Canyonlands, Great Falls), and would like to visit more of these stunning landscapes whilst on the road.

thx a lot for your thoughts and for sharing your road-trip experience.

I hope that within the remaining months I can compose a great trip across this beautiful country/continent.

All the best

Name:  RoadTrip.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  19.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Every time I saw this sign leaving Ocean City, MD I thought it would be fun to drive Route 50 from end to end.
    Name:  US_50_Sign.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  46.3 KB
    At the other end there is this sign:
    Name:  220px-Rt50_termini_ca_ocmd_sign.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  13.0 KB

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yttrium For This Useful Post:

Donut (01-17-2015),Eggman (02-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I moved from Oregon to Ohio last year (then to Virginia, but that's a shorter move), as well as a trip from Oregon to PA in 2013 for a convention, so I'm no stranger to long hauls. The big trips were in my 1996 Ford Aspire, before I picked up the Mirage.

For saving money and making time, freeway rest areas are your best friends. Skip the hotel and sleep in the backseat until you've rested enough, then jog around the rest area and sip some vending machine coffee to wake up. Some rest areas even have local groups that give out free coffee. For food, pack a cooler with some sandwich fixings and have a picnic at rest areas.

Here's the map from the Anthrocon 2013 road trip:Name:  AC2013 trip.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  85.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Donut (01-17-2015)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Have you had the chance to stop and visit some places on the way or was this a rather direct route?

What things did you add to your top 10 list on the way?

How did you split up the driving load or, how far did you get per day?

thx a lot for sharing the experience

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For the most part it was a pretty straight shot, since we were on a tight schedule. Each way took 3 and a half days, and I was the only driver. My then-wife wasn't licensed, as she has narcolepsy. Don't need her falling asleep behind the wheel.

There were a few pit stops along the way, like Cabela's in Nebraska, and then Iowa 80 during the move to Ohio, but nothing that was out of the way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    Every time I saw this sign leaving Ocean City, MD I thought it would be fun to drive Route 50 from end to end.
    Well, your post gave me the idea to drive to Ocean City for a day and check out the easternmost part of the route towards the west, see photo from this morning. Name:  OceanCity.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  89.7 KB

It's kind of nice there. Not too crowded, since it's off-season; this also makes the hotels super cheap. The beach is really awesome. Plus, I got 52 MPG on the 350 miles round-trip.

Last edited by Donut; 01-23-2015 at 01:22 AM.