Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor programming tool

Country
    United States
    Thanks

TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor programming tool

I was looking into a set of used sensors for future snow tires/wheels. I know it's a little over kill to have a computer monitoring my tire pressure but it is nice to know if I have a slow leak before I can visually see it, or before my monthly tire pressure check. The issue is programming the sensors, I know the dealership will likely charge me at least 40 dollars for this service so I researched if I could do it myself.. yes I can unfortunately it is pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-Mitsubishi-Outlander-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B00ISCA96M

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT15-Reset-Trigger-Activation/dp/B0099RGK5E/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

These are the tools needed. $300 bucks. Well that's like 7 dealership trips.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Monthly? I visually check the tires daily and check the pressures weekly. Though the TPMS light on these cars automatically resets after the pressure is above the threshold, unless you have a bad sensor. If you were to get the same types of sensors as OEM, I don't think you'd need to reprogram them.

Almost every car that comes into my work has low tire pressure. People just don't check them often enough.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too often for me lol, I prefer monthly, by the end of the month I normally see about 1-2 psi drop on my jeep, my mirage hopefully will be about the same. I use a small craftsman 12v compressor in a parking lot since I don't have a driveway or garage.

I hope your right. In my past experiences with Ford and GM TPMS sensors we had to program the new sensors and the old sensors when we rotated the tires, it was a PITA doing it the manual way with the horn chirps and letting the tire pressure down then re inflating them, once we got our TPMS programmer a 10 minute job turned into 2 minutes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    You can disable it (but it's illegal in your contry).
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, the Ford/GM sensors are different. There's several different types. I got a job at a Sears Auto Center in September, so I'm learning about all these things on various cars. The Ford/GM ones do require relearning, but there's others that are plug-and-play for the most part. With the Mirage, it doesn't monitor pressures individually, it just has the light come on when one of the sensors reads low pressure, so there isn't a need to program it's position. When I put the sensors in my VX wheels last week, the light turned off after driving for a quarter mile.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (03-31-2016)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=alex16;21967]I was looking into a set of used sensors for future snow tires/wheels. I know it's a little over kill to have a computer monitoring my tire pressure but it is nice to know if I have a slow leak before I can visually see it, or before my monthly tire pressure check. The issue is programming the sensors, I know the dealership will likely charge me at least 40 dollars for this service so I researched if I could do it myself.. yes I can unfortunately it is pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-Mitsubish.../dp/B00ISCA96M

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT15-Rese...xgy_auto_img_y

(Removed the video link as we don't need to see it twice)

alex16

Did you ever purchase the tpms resetter?
    I will soon change from Winter tyres to Summer tires, and i probably need to go to the dealer and make them set the TPMS again, as my winter tires don't have the TPMS sensors.. (I know it's illegal, to drive without, but i check the presure very often, so i don't really need it) and i don't want to spend a lot of money and time , by the need to go to the dealer 2 times a year for a TPMS reset ....

( I think it's funny, that this topic actually is not more interested as it is, because i assume many of us need to change the wheels/tires each year - for the season shift and could save a bit

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    [QUOTE=uheym;43821]
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I was looking into a set of used sensors for future snow tires/wheels. I know it's a little over kill to have a computer monitoring my tire pressure but it is nice to know if I have a slow leak before I can visually see it, or before my monthly tire pressure check. The issue is programming the sensors, I know the dealership will likely charge me at least 40 dollars for this service so I researched if I could do it myself.. yes I can unfortunately it is pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-Mitsubish.../dp/B00ISCA96M

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-VT15-Rese...xgy_auto_img_y

(Removed the video link as we don't need to see it twice)

alex16

Did you ever purchase the tpms resetter?
    I will soon change from Winter tyres to Summer tires, and i probably need to go to the dealer and make them set the TPMS again, as my winter tires don't have the TPMS sensors.. (I know it's illegal, to drive without, but i check the presure very often, so i don't really need it) and i don't want to spend a lot of money and time , by the need to go to the dealer 2 times a year for a TPMS reset ....

( I think it's funny, that this topic actually is not more interested as it is, because i assume many of us need to change the wheels/tires each year - for the season shift and could save a bit
    If you simply went without TPMS sensors for the season, no reset should be necessary when you put the same sensors the system is already programmed for back on, right?

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Jep
    I figured that out a couple of days ago ! (When i put back on the Summer tires)

I thought i had to go to the dealer, and let them reprogram the ECU with the sensor details from each wheel.
    So i thought that car forgot the sensors from the wheels, so they had to be re-programmed each time, (Making it a money machine for Mitsubishi)

Am i right, i only need that tool above, if i have 2 sets of wheels all equipped with TPMS sensors, one set for winter & one set for summer, because the ECU can't remeber 8 wheel's ?

( I don't need it, will drive without TPMS in the winter time, because i don't wanna spend the money on the sensors, as they cost much more than they should )

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I am curious about this as well. If I have two sets of OEM wheels with OEM sensors, one set for winter and the other for spring/summer/fall, will I need to reprogram the TPMS system each time I change the wheels?

Or is the fact that they are both sets of OEM sensors good enough for the TPMS system?

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I am curious about this as well. If I have two sets of OEM wheels with OEM sensors, one set for winter and the other for spring/summer/fall, will I need to reprogram the TPMS system each time I change the wheels?

Or is the fact that they are both sets of OEM sensors good enough for the TPMS system?
    If I have understood correctly, you are able to store (at least) two sets of TPMS sensor ID:s to the system (ETACS-ECU).

When you change the wheels (from summer to winter tires for example) you can just choose from instruments clusters multi-information display which set is in use. It is written in user manual (i will double check).

Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2 Cleartec Invite CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star 1.2 automatic: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.5 mpg (Imp)