Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some technical data for you guys!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Some technical data for you guys!

I was on my way to the Junkyard to get a window for my jeep and of course this stopped me in my tracks!

Delayed but I will still make it out, had to post a few teasers

The real name for the 5MT=F5MBD

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (01-17-2015),DirectNova (01-20-2015),MetroMPG (01-17-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Interesting that they used a new gear oil for better fuel consumption. To me this sounds like it wouldn't be very good at keeping it cooled under stress though. Maybe that is why it is rumored to say that the 5MT is fragile / not rated for power. A proper oil may add better strength but at the risk of mpg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy Mitsu View Post
    Interesting that they used a new gear oil for better fuel consumption. To me this sounds like it wouldn't be very good at keeping it cooled under stress though. Maybe that is why it is rumored to say that the 5MT is fragile / not rated for power. A proper oil may add better strength but at the risk of mpg.

I am sure the F5MBD is a fragile transmission, Mitsubishi put reduction of weight at the top of their priorities with the Mirage, less rotating mass and lighter parts help with mpg and overall weight. I would like to purchase a spare F5MBD in the future if funds allow me to. But I've seen even fragile transmissions hold lots of power, you just lose a little acceleration when shifting carefully and gently getting back into full power, as was the case with my 1990 Eclipse 5 speed with close to 400whp.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Excellent teasers! Is the whole manual like this? (The additional comments about design goals, like the oil type & volume?)

I feel like I need one, and I don't even have a Mirage! (...yet...)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Also: happy to see confirmation our earlier figures for the ratios in the non-Euro manual trans were correct:

Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    for manual trany, will be ok to use 75w 90, Royal Purple?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Best to use the stock 75w80 it's really thin synthetic designed for maximum mpg. Royal purple might make 75w80 you just may have to order it online or special order it at a local retailer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In my jeep I have used heavier gear oil with no problems, but again that's a 4x4 with a 4.0 straight six and a transmission like an armytank.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My jeep ax15 uses penzoil synchromesh gl4. That's the most important fActor because gl4 is safe with brass parts. Syncromesh is the cheapest gl4 out there, I run it in the jeep because I change it every time I cross high water.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I drove my jeep hard and put it away dirty for years, 240,000km second owner and regular maintenance and it never skips a beat, has a snorkel, 4-1 headers and 3" hi flow exhaust, skyjacker lift kit with adjustable shackles and 33" mud tires. Had to change an axle seal seal and oil pan since I've owned it, but nothing major.