Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Noise? (after driving through puddle)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Belt Noise? (after driving through puddle)

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you were experiencing this. It started about six months ago, every time I go through even the smallest puddle even only a couple of inches I'm getting a screech wining noise like the belt is getting wet somehow. I looked down past the belt and it's assembly and it is open to the elements at the bottom. I just don't recall if there's supposed to be a piece there keeping the weather out. Any thoughts on this? It has to be the belt right?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    spray some windex on the contact portion of the belt, see if the noise stops.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry, I probably was not clear. The noise stops usually less than 3-7 seconds after contact with the water. Thanks

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    Sorry, I probably was not clear. The noise stops usually less than 3-7 seconds after contact with the water. Thanks
    Likely your belt is starting to wear, and it's getting smooth enough where moisture will cause slippage but when it's dry it's still 'okay' to be used.

I had an older 2004 mustang that had the bottom part of the belt exposed and right before it started squealing regularly, it would squeal when wet only.

Should consider replacing it soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @silverstreak - I too suspect a worn belt. How many miles do you have on the vehicle?

The only other time I've had a squealing belt was on my old Mazda where I had an bit of an oil leak getting past the valve cover seals, eventually dripping down to the pulleys and serpentine belt.

-Charlie-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstreak View Post
    Spray it and drive it through the same puddle. You were clear enough. Then you will KNOW it's the belt. Otherwise you could be wrong.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Seen serpentine belts go 100k miles.

regards
    mech

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Get some Belt Conditioner and maybe tighten the belt just the smallest amount (not too much, could hurt the bearings/pulleys). I've been using 3m belt conditioner on my wife's Scion Xa for 20K miles for the same issue and it works very well. It basically leaves behind a residue that helps the belt grip the pulleys. Has not seemed to weaken or degrade the rubber at all but I imagine other such products that are not as well formulated might make the rubber softer, helping in the short term, but hurting the belt long term.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your replies. The belt only has 21k on it so I know it can't be failing at this point. Old mechanic, when I get a chance I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks
    Tool needed 12mm wrench.

Loosen the bolt that locks the alternator to the upper bracket. The head of that bolt points to the right fender (passengers).

Tighten (clockwise) the adjustment bolt that moves the top of the alternator towards the front of the car, say 3 or 4 complete revolutions. Retighten previously mentioned lock bolt.

Total time about 2 minutes. Don't overdo it, you can try it one revolution at a time until the noise goes away. No easier belt adjustment in 40 years and no stupid automatic tensioner to fail.

regards
    mech

Last edited by deleted user; 12-22-2015 at 01:25 PM.