Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Electric Element in Heater

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Is there a quick reach location I can grab a connector and disconnect it? I'd rather have the mpg, it doesn't get THAT cold down here.
    Mine doesn't have the PTC, so I can't look.

The FSM says something about it in sections 55A and section 90, page 128
    According to FSM, you could pull the connector C25. It has a total of three wires on it, they being one blue, one yellow, and one green.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No comment on the 52F being cold.
    It's not cold ... it's FREEEEEZING.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    According to FSM, you could pull the connector C25. It has a total of three wires on it, they being one blue, one yellow, and one green.
    Drive over and pull mine for me! I'm too fat, old, greasy, unflexible and I'm getting sick right now.

You guys know how grease gets stiff and pasty when it cools off? That's what's happening with me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A fuse is unrelated to the heat distribution. If you're looking on paying for this heater core replacement out of pocket, I think I'd throw the brakes on that. Especially if a dealership is going to do it. You might be better off taking it to a zoo and letting some zoo animals work on it (my opinion). If you're having to pay for this out of pocket, a private garage and a different plan of action is something I would look into.

Now ... I haven't been paying attention to these heater core threads, because that's not something I have to be too much concerned about. At least not yet. But there's a thread in here somewhere about replacing the core without tearing the dash out. That thread is worth a detailed read. I didn't read it in detail, but it sounds a waaaaay lot better than letting an OEM dealership thrash your dash.

And, unless you're getting cold in your car, I consider this more of a want than a need. There's been some coolant change / different types of detergents mentioned that might also flush out that core. Foama mentioned some detergent I think it was. That sounded promising.

I'm sorry, but I'm just anti-OEM-dealership. Their technicians, at least some of them, might be good mechanics. But even the good ones are put under pressure to slam out repairs as fast as possible in order to increase dealership profits. So, their work quality is usually crap. I put an ad on facebutt a long time ago to see if a mechanic wanted some extra Christmas money to help me replace a heater core in my old Plymouth Scamp. The guy I found kicked ass! Was great at what he did. We worked together. I paid him what I advertised and gave him a sizeable tip because he was good, gave a crap about his work quality and was pleasant to work with. The point being, there's many ways to skin a cat.

Oh, I wanted to mention one other thing. A heater core is nothing complex. Just a blob of metal (overly simplistic I know) for coolant to run through. A pipe on one end, and a pipe on the other. However, they are just a PITA to get to due to their location.

Sounds like you need a heater core. Same goes for all the other threads you posted in talking about the same thing. A dead ptc heater won't affect just the passenger side heat. I'm pretty sure it's only used when the car is cold and shut's off when it's up to temp. Likely isn't used at all in the southern states. The easiest way to check the fuses is to look at them. If they look broken then blown. I'll add a picture of what they should look like.

Attachment 26572
    It doesn't matter though cause you need a heater core... If the dealer was going to replace it, I'd go that route because it's free(I wouldn't myself but if I had no idea wth I was doing it'd be an option). There isn't gonna be a magic blown fuse that fixes a plugged heater core and nobody can fix it via internets any further than point out the obvious.

Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2024 at 02:31 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-12-2024),mohammad (02-14-2024)