Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else getting excessive tire wear? (Dunlop Enasave 165/65r14)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone else getting excessive tire wear? (Dunlop Enasave 165/65r14)

I've got 22K and two of my tires are already worn out. I think they're Dunlop tires. I've been getting them rotated every 7,500 miles. They're worn in the center like the tire has been overinflated. The dealer told me he's been getting a lot of complaints about the tires. I'm hoping this is just a case of cheap tires and not some sort of design flaw that causes the tires to wear out quicker. I've been inflating the tires to 38 psi, the recommended pressure on the door is 35 psi but the max on the tire is 44 psi.

Also I'm planning on replacing my worn out stock 165/65s with 175/65s. I'd have to order the 165/65s and pay double. Has anyone else tried the 175/65s? The other option I was considering were 185/60s but I'm thinking the extra width might hurt gas milage, although the diameter is a little closer to stock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    You don't notice a lot of difference in mileage. 1 or 2 km less/liter is acceptable for me. I'm using a wider tire and man what a difference in grip. But then again, the original tires are eco tires so they're not great in grip to begin with.
    I don't rotate the tires (OMG am the laziest person ever .... change oil every 20k, don't rotate tires) but no, no wear at all on all my tires (although I always drive hard thru corners). Am at 43.000 KM now and changed my perfect condition tires at 20.000 km (new bigger rims required other tires).
    Could it be you overinflated the tires?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    You don't notice a lot of difference in mileage. 1 or 2 km less/liter is acceptable for me. I'm using a wider tire and man what a difference in grip. But then again, the original tires are eco tires so they're not great in grip to begin with.
    I don't rotate the tires (OMG am the laziest person ever .... change oil every 20k, don't rotate tires) but no, no wear at all on all my tires (although I always drive hard thru corners). Am at 43.000 KM now and changed my perfect condition tires at 20.000 km (new bigger rims required other tires).
    Could it be you overinflated the tires?
    What size tire were you using? I may go for the 185/60s if the mpg is not that big of a deal since they are a little closer to stock. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My front tires were gone at 9700 miles. so yeah excessive is an understatment

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Gone at 8000 km/4970 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Great thread idea!

But... needs CONTEXT!

For people replying:

- What pressure were you running?
    - City? Hwy?
    - Style: Aggressive? Relaxed eco-driving?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
    My front tires were gone at 9700 miles. so yeah excessive is an understatment
    Holy crap! Do you think it's just a matter of cheap tires? Are your new tires doing ok?

My theory is that my tires were "bowing out" like they were over inflated, even though I didn't over inflate them. That combined with cheap rubber. I'm leaning towards the 185/60 R14s to replace them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Great thread idea!

But... needs CONTEXT!

For people replying:

- What pressure were you running?
    - City? Hwy?
    - Style: Aggressive? Relaxed eco-driving?
    22K. 38 psi. Mix of city and hwy. Style - moderate. 1 tire is worn out, 1 is 90% worn out, 1 is about 60% worn out and 1 is about 40% worn out. Been rotating tires every 7,500 miles.

Like I said, I'm hoping it's just a case of cheap tires. That's not a big deal to me. What I'd really like to know is what size is the best to replace the 165/65s that are hard to find and expensive in the US. I'm leaning towards the 185/60s. Second choice are the 175/65s.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had one stock tire that died a pre-mature death by way of metal debris destroying the tire. I searched around but could not find ANY replacement tire except through the dealer. So, I went to Pep Boys and bought a complete set of 175/65/14 tires. Here are my thoughts in them;

1. Grip. I thought the stock tires had decent grip at the limit once the suspension settled down. Now I realize how little grip the stock tires had. These wider, non-Eco tires, grip so much better and the tires do not squeel nearly as easily in hard corners.

2. Gas mileage. Gas mileage has dropped slightly. I was able to average around 50 mpg on my commute(11 miles each way with speeds averaging 40-50 mph) with the stock tires and now that has dropped down to about 47-48 mpg. However, this also could be because I am running the heater a lot more than before, and it takes the car a lot longer to warm up than it did during the summer.

3. Road noise. These new tires are actually a bit quieter than the stock ones.

4. Availability. I can find tires in 175/65/14 just about anywhere which is tremendously better than the stock tires.

I personally would not go with a 185/60/14 on the stock rim due to the slight bulge that I currently have with only slightly wider tires. With 10 mm of extra width per tire, the bulge would be MUCH more noticeable and it could actually adversely effect the handling of the car.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (01-27-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I had one stock tire that died a pre-mature death by way of metal debris destroying the tire. I searched around but could not find ANY replacement tire except through the dealer. So, I went to Pep Boys and bought a complete set of 175/65/14 tires. Here are my thoughts in them;

1. Grip. I thought the stock tires had decent grip at the limit once the suspension settled down. Now I realize how little grip the stock tires had. These wider, non-Eco tires, grip so much better and the tires do not squeel nearly as easily in hard corners.

2. Gas mileage. Gas mileage has dropped slightly. I was able to average around 50 mpg on my commute(11 miles each way with speeds averaging 40-50 mph) with the stock tires and now that has dropped down to about 47-48 mpg. However, this also could be because I am running the heater a lot more than before, and it takes the car a lot longer to warm up than it did during the summer.

3. Road noise. These new tires are actually a bit quieter than the stock ones.

4. Availability. I can find tires in 175/65/14 just about anywhere which is tremendously better than the stock tires.

I personally would not go with a 185/60/14 on the stock rim due to the slight bulge that I currently have with only slightly wider tires. With 10 mm of extra width per tire, the bulge would be MUCH more noticeable and it could actually adversely effect the handling of the car.
    Good information! I didn't think about the width of the rim. I'm back to the 175/65s, I saw a few other drivers here that have tried that size and said it worked.

Thanks!