Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What direction to take with my under seat subwoofer

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    Will the car seat go in the middle of the rear seat or is it a older kiddo seat that needs to be on the side ? They say the middle of the back seat is the safest place to be.

It won't fit in the center as it is the kind of car seat that attaches to a base that stays in the car. The car seat itself comes out of the car with the baby still strapped into it. Because of this, it can only fit on one of the sides. If I put it on the driver's side, the seat has to be moved a couple of clicks forward and the back of the seat needs to be tilted forward to click the car seat into the base. On the passenger side though, the seat can stay forward a few more clicks than the driver's side and it won't impede the passengers very much that ride in my car. So it pretty much has to go on the passenger side, in the back seat.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The sub showed up today! I will buy some poly fill tomorrow, mount the sub in the box, and then on Tuesday I'll see about mounting the box in the car as long as my wife doesn't go into labor.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Progress is great!!

The sub is now mounted in the box. I currently have an old test amp hooked up to the sub. The test amp is just a little 50 X 2 Boss amp and the gain is set very low at only 1/4. Already I can tell that this new sub works a LOT better in this small box than my Polk sub did. Even though the technical specs show that the Polk sub is more efficient, the MB Quart sub already seems to be louder and able to play the lower notes MUCH better. The Polk sub would play well down to about 50 hz while the MB Quart sub seems to be playing well down to 40 hz which is amazing considering the small enclosure.

Tomorrow the box will be mounted in the car and we will see how the in car response is.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once again, more progress!

The box is now mounted in the car and let me say, HOLY COW! The amount of low end from such a tiny box is down right amazing! With the Polk sub, the low end rolled off quickly below 50 hz, but it had a nice tight punch that you could feel in your chest in the 100 hz to 70 hz area. The MB Quart sub has lost that punch which is the only thing that disappoints me about it. This new sub has very useable output down to 40 hz, and it does not roll off nearly as quickly. I played a 10 hz to 200 hz sweep with the volume maxed out. To my surprise, the sub never bottomed out, never popped, and did not give any strange flopping sound like the other sub would. I don't know what frequency it was at when this happened, but at one point during the sweep, my vision started to blur!!

The other downfall which is very minor to me is that I can not crank the volume up when the seat is in any position but the far back setting. This is due to the long travel of the cone on the subwoofer. The subwoofer has so much Xmax (cone movement back and forth) that it will actually hit the bottom of the seat at high volumes. However, for me this is not a big deal at all since I put the car seat behind the passenger seat. So, if the baby is in the car, I can't crank it up which is fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When are you building me a duplicate sub enclosure

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Does the cushion lift off the rear seat? I wonder if you could have mounted it inside there? I know toyota matrix and VW jettas you can litterally take the bottom part off the bench like a couch cushion, it just snaps in with clips

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    When are you building me a duplicate sub enclosure

If I could find a way to mass produce this box, I would. I have way too much time invested into it though to even think about building a duplicate box. Although, building another one of these boxes for under the driver's seat so I could have 2 of these 8" MB Quart subs would be amazing, but too much work right now and my amp would not be big enough to run them both.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy Mitsu View Post
    Does the cushion lift off the rear seat? I wonder if you could have mounted it inside there? I know toyota matrix and VW jettas you can litterally take the bottom part off the bench like a couch cushion, it just snaps in with clips

The bottom seat cushion does lift off the back seat. However, it is not very thick at all and there would not be enough room in there for a sub. You could build a center console that goes between the seat and the rear cup holder that could hold a sub. Other options are to build a sub enclosure that goes inside the spare tire, inside the spare tire well, or, as posted earlier in this thread, I am pretty sure you could mount an 8" sub in each rear door with some work and extra support done to the door.

On this car, I did not want to take up ANY cargo area since the cargo area is so small. This is why I built a box for under the passenger seat.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After adjusting the amp for a bit this evening and listening to a LOT of music I have come to this conclusion;

Out of all of the systems I have had using single 8" or 10" subs, this one sounds the best.

I'm about to date myself here so hang on just a bit. I built a box for my neighbor for his 2 Rockford Fosgate Series 1 8" subs. This box was sealed of 0.75 cubic foot per sub and was installed in the hatch on his Datsun B210. It sounds VERY similar to that.

I had an MTX Road Thunder 10" sub in a ported box running off of a Punch 45, tuned for 45 hz behind the seat of one of my old trucks. I thought it sounded really good at that time, but the current setup actually sounds better!