Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

Lets start with the 3A92's specs:

Displacement: 1.2L (1193 CC)
    Cylinders: 3
    Valves: 12
    Maximum Output: 2014-2015: 55 kW (74 HP / 75 PS) @ 6000 rpm
    2017+: 78 HP @ 6000 RPM
    Maximum Torque: 100 Nm (74 lb·ft) @ 4000 rpm
    Bore: 75mm
    Stroke: 90mm
    Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
    Interference: Yes
    Intake Cam Lift: 36mm base circle + 8.9mm lift
    Exhaust Cam Lift: 36mm base circle + 8.0mm lift
    Fuel Injector Flow Rate: 233 cc/min [22 lb/min] link
    Fuel type: Unleaded regular gasoline, gasohol E10, E20
    Fuel type: Unleaded regular gasoline, gasohol E10, E20
    Valve Technology: DOHC, MIVEC (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control) - see video: New MIVEC continuously variable valve control mechanism
    Fuel Economy: see Fuel economy ratings by country

For parts changes over the years, see 3A92 engine parts history.

For info on the 3A90 (1.0 L) engine see here: 3A90 Engine Information

Attachment 2228

Above image: Alex16

3A92 (red) and 3A90 (orange) comparison.

Name:  _1-1-mirage-dyno.jpg
Views: 31710
Size:  93.2 KB
    Above Dyno image from EcoModder.com - Note this is a Philippine spec Mirage and it may not share the same factory tune as all other countries.

Image thanks to Nimmic.

Image thanks to ShiroMirage:

Name:  3a92_04.jpg
Views: 33877
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  3a92_03.jpg
Views: 28096
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  3a92_02.jpg
Views: 26753
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  3a92_01.jpg
Views: 26417
Size:  50.7 KB

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Daox; 02-15-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

LurgidBee (05-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    A Metro owners dream !

arollinstone - you're right on the money there.

I think this car is essentially a modern-day Metro: similar size, weight & fuel economy to the last generation Metro, but with a more advanced engine (eg. MIVEC variable valve control) giving more power, safety & options.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It seems to have most of the bells and whistles. The start/stop would certainly be great to have here. Sadly, I doubt they'll bring it here due to the EPA (US fuel economy) test not accounting for cars being stopped sitting at a light or stop sign. Start/stop systems show zero benefit on this test cycle despite real world benefits of around 10% in city driving.

Another thing I noted was that it doens't have is direct injection. Most of the new engines have this, but both of the Mirage engines have multipoint fuel injection. I was reading in some Australian (I think) article where they claimed that they dropped the idea of direct injection due to the cost of adding it. There was also the issue with fuel quality in developing countries that makes direct injection a bit more finicky.
    Last edited by Daox; 01-21-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    arollinstone - you're right on the money there.

I think this car is essentially a modern-day Metro: similar size, weight & fuel economy to the last generation Metro, but with more power, safety & options.
    MetroMPG, You were the one that turned me into a Metro fanatic since way back when. I've got extra parts up the ying and yang.

I can routinely attain 70 + mpgs in any metro I touch. Another 10, maybe even 5 years I'll have one of these to mess with.

Could you imagine the mpgs we'd get with the Valve timing Electronic Control, multipoint fuel injection or direct injection. I hope

they come up with more transmission gear ratios and such so we can mess with that too.

I don't mind the lack of Auto Start/Stop. I can do that myself.

---

arollinstone - so far I've only seen one set of gear ratios published (here). I'm seriously hoping they don't "dumb down" the ratios for Canada/US to cater to drivers here who aren't willing/capable of downshifting from top gear when more power is needed. I want my tall top gear!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The 5th gear ratio can still be taller, actually. 4th and 5th are close enough together that I treat the gearbox as a 4-speed (1-2-3-5) in light to moderate traffic. Top gear cruising at 100kph (62mph) results in the engine spinning at 3k RPM. From what I hear from other owners, CVT Mirages cruise at that same speed with the engine at 2k RPM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is the thing that really confuses me. All the fuel economy ratings I've seen for highway driving show the CVT as getting worse mileage than the manual despite the much lower rpms...

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Interesting thats a big change in rpm at 100klm between the cvt and manual. Cvt trans are not always as efficient as a manual box. They tend to have a lot more friction on the variable drive belts in them. And Alpha One mentioned the cvt has a bigger radiator fitted then the manual most likly to deal with the extra heat from the cvt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't mind the lack of Auto Start/Stop. I can do that myself.

---

arollinstone - so far I've only seen one set of gear ratios published (here). I'm seriously hoping they don't "dumb down" the ratios for Canada/US to cater to drivers here who aren't willing/capable of downshifting from top gear when more power is needed. I want my tall top gear!
    I feel ya MetroMPG, I followed in your foot steps and got spoiled by the 3.52s. 2400 rpms at 60 mph but I don't go that fast.