Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi expands Philippine operations, to build Mirage and G4 locally...?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Mitsubishi expands Philippine operations, to build Mirage and G4 locally...?

As we all know, the Mirage and Mirage G4 models are produced exclusively in Thailand. However, Mitsubishi is looking at the possibility to produce these vehicles in the Philippines by next year.

http://www.bworldonline.com/content....lant&id=101817

MMPC, the no. 2 automaker in the country in terms of sales after Toyota Motor Corp., builds the Adventure and L300 models locally.

Japan’s Mitsubishi Motors Corp. Chairman of the Board and Chief Operating Officer, Osamu Masuko, said Mirage models could also come off the Laguna plant’s production line by next year.

“Production will be increased by adding the B-segment compact passenger vehicles, Mirage and Mirage G4 from April 2016,” Mr. Masuko said in his speech at the ceremony in Laguna.

“Along with launching of these new models we are also moving forward with steel panel parts manufacturing with a new stamping factory.”

But that plan is dependent on the release of the automotive industry road map, Mr. Masuko, speaking through a translator, told reporters, Reuters reported.

“We would like to invest in production facilities so we are waiting,” Mr. Masuko said.
    The Mirage and the G4 have become hugely popular since they came out, but I didn't know we bought that many of them that Mitsu is now thinking of making them locally!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-30-2015)

I wonder...

One explicit criteria for participation in the Thai-subsidized "Eco Car" assembly program is fuel efficiency, which the Mirage meets easily with the 1.2L in the sedan & hatch. But if Mitsu wants to put a more powerful/less efficient engine in the sedan, it would probably not qualify in Thailand, however PH may not have such a restriction.

Rumours have popped up several times that the sedan "needs" a more powerful engine for the US market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Well, that's definitely one possibility. However, the Honda Brio was first manufactured in Thailand under a similar program, and uses the 1.2L VTEC of the European Honda Jazz. However, it was introduced in the Philippines with the 1.3L variant of the same engine, still originating from Thailand.

That said, if they're looking at US exports, I wonder if it helps that the Philippines is the biggest Southeast Asian economy that drives on the same side of the road. Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia all drive on the left side of the road.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very interesting news and speculation... Wonder what Mitsu has up its sleeve.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't mind seeing a 1.2 turbo in the sedan! I am not a fan of putting a bigger engine in because with that all the weight needs to increase and then the price so then more things like sunroofs get thrown into the mix. Keep it simple , keep it light, keep it Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Turbo won't help in south east asia where the roads are way too crowded, you can't even drive faster than 40 km/hour ... maybe at 2 a.m. but then again if ur normal person you would be sleeping.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A more powerful and less efficient engine for the US will kill the reason to buy a Mirage. They'd have to also improve the whole car overall (handling, suspension, exterior, interior, etc, etc).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It really has enough power . It's just people whant to go faster and faster. Then they wonder WHY are there so many accidents. Then they say it's unsafe.whats the rush? Take your time and enjoy your car and have fun! Instead of burning rubber from the stop sign to see if you can beat the other guy! I like to drive mine when there's less traffic out

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree, the mirage is plenty fast for me, actually a lot faster than I expected. I just think the turbo approach for someone that wants lots of tire spin and tickets is a better solution than a bigger engine. I'm in favor of the 1.0 coming to north America

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I agree, the mirage is plenty fast for me, actually a lot faster than I expected. I just think the turbo approach for someone that wants lots of tire spin and tickets is a better solution than a bigger engine. I'm in favor of the 1.0 coming to north America
    I don't thnk you would love it. I hate the 1st gear power dip. After the first gear there's no problem at all but first time starting you have to apply lots of gas or go veeerrrryyyyy slowly. It does achieves impressive gas mileage, but for 0.2L/100KM or hell even 0.5L/100 KM, I have learn my lesson and get the 1.2L for the higher top speed (in holland the speed limit is 130 km/hour; to Germany, most of the autobahn don't have speed limit). 1.0L has the power to bring the car up to 145 km/hour ... NOT even 1 km/hour more. When the wind blows from the front (at that speed you continually hitting walls of wind) 1.0L will be using almost 10L/100KM, no kidding! and the speed will continually varies. I heard the 1.2L CAN actually achieve 160 km/hour

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)